PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical scenario discussion

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 09:33 AM
5 people are stranded on a deserted island. Of the 5 people, two are female and three are male. There is no food or water on the island and given the current conditions, everyone will die in 10 days. While searching the island, the only thing to be found was a guard outpost. In that outpost there was a calendar stating that a rescue boat had just routinely checked the island for cast aways 2 days ago and would return again for another routine check in 28 days. Inside the outpost is 4 pills that sustain life for 30 days. The pills become useless once they are broke open, so they cannot be portioned. The island contains no edible resources or drinkable water.

Group BIO
Male #1 26 years old, fresh college graduate, on vacation prior to seeking employment. Physically fit, attractive, Moderately wealthy parents 150-200k yr.
Male #2 35 years old, small business owner, avg physical build, moderately wealthy 150-200k yr, is married with 1 child.
Male #3 55 years old, retired mechanic, lives on a fixed income of $1200/mo, married with 2 grown kids and 3 grandchildren.
Female #1 21 years old, hasnt started college, waitress that makes 19k yr and has no kids, attractive
Female #2 30 years old, single mother, owns a small tax business and makes 50k yr. Avg appearance.

None of the 5 will volunteer to forego the pill. They are all insistent on survival.

What do you do?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Are the women good looking?

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Are the women good looking?

for now let's say all parties are avg looking.

I will give a larger bio on the group later to see how that changes people's answer

Elbow
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Make a fishing pole and go fishing.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I want the group bio first

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
updated with bio. Will revise the bio if you feel any more details should be included.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Anyone volunteering to forego the pill?

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Are there 6 total people on this island? You said I'm one of 5, then you listed 5 people.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Are there 6 total people on this island? You said I'm one of 5, then you listed 5 people.

Corrected. There are 5 people total, you are not one of them. That way that variable is removed and opting to forego the pill yourself is not an option.

None of the 5 are volunteering to forego the pill.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Make a fishing pole and go fishing.

What to do with the 4 pills? which member of the group should be reliant on securing his/her own survival?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
What do you do?
Corrected. There are 5 people total, you are not one of them. That way that variable is removed and opting to forego the pill yourself is not an option.

None of the 5 are volunteering to forego the pill.If I'm not on the island how can I "do" anything? Let them fight amongst themselves... LOL

RustyToaster
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Male #3 needs to volunteer to not take the pill.
He is the oldest, and has enjoyed much of life.
He could also be the most experienced with acquiring food.
Also, whats stopping the other 4 from helping him attain food?
or if they were cool they could just have a 5 way death fight.

Black R
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Easy:

Give pills to the four most physically able to survive.
They must in return provide and care for the 5th member who is weakest and can't provide for themselves.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Easy:

Give pills to the four most physically able to survive.
They must in return provide and care for the 5th member who is weakest and can't provide for themselves.

The weakest member is not willing to compromise. All parties want a pill.

Male #3 needs to volunteer to not take the pill.
He is the oldest, and has enjoyed much of life.
He could also be the most experienced with acquiring food.
Also, whats stopping the other 4 from helping him attain food?
or if they were cool they could just have a 5 way death fight.

These are the types of answers i'm looking for. Keep them coming.

If I'm not on the island how can I "do" anything? Let them fight amongst themselves... LOL

For the sake of debate, you have control over the outcome even though you are not present. Though i will say your answer of let them fend for themselves is a reasonable one. Now, given that, how does it work out? how should it work out?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Well if they are going to be stubborn about it... Nobody gets a pill, survival of the fittest. Once the first person dies the remaining four take the pill.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Well if they are going to be stubborn about it... Nobody gets a pill, survival of the fittest. Once the first person dies the remaining four take the pill.

So if the 55 year old man kills the 21 year old, that's ok?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 11:35 AM
So if the 55 year old man kills the 21 year old, that's ok?I was thinking more along the lines of the first to starve to death... But if he's willing to do it, sure. Just means in 28 days when the boat returns he'll be going to jail for the rest of his life.

Unless he kills them all and hides the bodies...

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
What to do with the 4 pills? which member of the group should be reliant on securing his/her own survival?

Does this imply that its possible to acquire food? hunt/gather?

Vteckidd
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Draw straws.

Only way to be fair

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Draw straws.

Only way to be fair

Throwing all the pills in the ocean is also fair, wouldn't ya think?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Where is Jeff Probst while all this is going on?

Elbow
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Throw all the pills away and hope for the best.

Manny Naber
04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Try there best to survive and give the pill only to someone who is truly ABOUT TO DIE

ISAtlanta300
04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Have a train/gang bang with the females for 10 days. Then everyone dies happy. Fuck dem pills....

Vteckidd
04-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Direction unclear, banged females , created one more life

-EnVus-
04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Everyone agree to fight for survival and only use the pills for those who can't adapt after 12 days or become injured/sick.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Does this imply that its possible to acquire food? hunt/gather?

No provisions on the island. No fruit and no animals.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Throw all the pills away and hope for the best.

Fairness is worth 4 people having to die that otherwise would not have had to?

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Throwing all the pills in the ocean is also fair, wouldn't ya think?

Would fairness out weigh some surviving?

David88vert
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
With no water, the pills won't matter. Dehydration can't be solved with a pill.
For the sake of this discussion, we'll assume that the pill will solve no water. They'll still die. Why? Wait for it....

For a pill large enough to have enough to sustain you for all those days, it would have to be a huge pill.
Now how are you going to get that pill down if you have no water?
Like I said, no water, they all die.

RandomGuy
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
If you had to decide... and support your answer, I'd say Female #1. I'm sure if this scenario happened to any of us in real life- she'd probably be the last one picked haha.

If we have to base our answers on logic, it makes sense- she has the least to offer to the world or the other survivors. Think in terms of education, experience, resources, etc. She also causes comparatively less trauma to others in disappearing (no kids/dependants/etc) - Assuming all of that was disclosed.

But Male 1 should make Male 2 and Male 3 fight over a single pill and leave with the girls and have his rich parents grab them with the family helicopter.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
With no water, the pills won't matter. Dehydration can't be solved with a pill.
For the sake of this discussion, we'll assume that the pill will solve no water. They'll still die. Why? Wait for it....

For a pill large enough to have enough to sustain you for all those days, it would have to be a huge pill.
Now how are you going to get that pill down if you have no water?
Like I said, no water, they all die.

You cant change the perimeters of the discussion. The exercise is based around making the choice and why. For the sake of debate, the pill will keep you alive for 30 days with no food and water. This "pill" existing or not is of no significance.

RandomGuy
04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Also a less "logical" answer would be:

If they can survive 10 days in current situations, give them out based on acts of compassion towards the other 4 during their last moments. Maybe the key to get a pill is to offer to volunteer to forego the pill?

But I kinda don't want to answer because part of me thinks this is a troll post that somehow relates back to democrat/republican drama and each person represents a different tax bracket and the pill is affirmative action, hahahahahah

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Also a less "logical" answer would be:

If they can survive 10 days in current situations, give them out based on acts of compassion towards the other 4 during their last moments. Maybe the key to get a pill is to offer to volunteer to forego the pill?

But I kinda don't want to answer because part of me thinks this is a troll post that somehow relates back to democrat/republican drama and each person represents a different tax bracket and the pill is affirmative action, hahahahahah

It's not a troll post. It's just an exercise of your thought process. Sometimes theoretical scenarios are better at getting your true feelings, since you have no obligations to a given answer.

D3UC3S
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Hide all pills and the smartest, most driven 4 will find them and survive.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Hide all pills and the smartest, most driven 4 will find them and survive.

Who hides them?

David88vert
04-23-2013, 05:08 PM
You cant change the perimeters of the discussion. The exercise is based around making the choice and why. For the sake of debate, the pill will keep you alive for 30 days with no food and water. This "pill" existing or not is of no significance.

Just tell me - how are you going to swallow that BIG pill with NO water????????

Or, is the pill really a suppository? If so, one of those males will choose to die, rather than take that pill! Problem solved.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Just tell me - how are you going to swallow that BIG pill with NO water????????

Or, is the pill really a suppository? If so, one of those males will choose to die, rather than take that pill! Problem solved.

Nobody said the pill was big or that the pill was scientifically possible. In this scenario, the pill sustains life for 30 days, how it does so is not significant to your answer.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Would fairness out weigh some surviving?

That wasnt my answer BTW. Lol. Just responding.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
It's not a troll post. It's just an exercise of your thought process. Sometimes theoretical scenarios are better at getting your true feelings, since you have no obligations to a given answer.

Sort of. My answer to this might be different, even changing the smallest variable.

David88vert
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Nobody said the pill was big or that the pill was scientifically possible. In this scenario, the pill sustains life for 30 days, how it does so is not significant to your answer.

Of course it is - that's a big pill, with no water. Swallow or suppository - either way, your answer is self-revealing.

On_Her_Face
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I like hiding the pills. If "I" have the power to decide who dies and who gets to take the pill, why do "I" not have the power to hide them and the smartest find them and get to live?

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Sort of. My answer to this might be different, even changing the smallest variable.

any other questions, ask away.

I'll post my answer shortly.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I like hiding the pills. If "I" have the power to decide who dies and who gets to take the pill, why do "I" not have the power to hide them and the smartest find them and get to live?

Fair enough, that answer is accepted. We'll pull that thought process in later on after getting more answers.

-EnVus-
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
The toughest one should kill the others and eat them till rescue comes use their bones to build tools and a shelter.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Of course it is - that's a big pill, with no water. Swallow or suppository - either way, your answer is self-revealing.

The pill is small and requires no water to take it.

If i have self revealed, then reveal my answer or purpose for asking. Avoiding the question is not an answer. The scenario is boxed around making the choice of who lives and why.

D3UC3S
04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
My response is acceptable. Hell ya!

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but so far most of the answers seem to be in favor of the younger/more able to survive people being given the pill. Is anyone in favor of giving a pill to the elderly person in place of anyone else? if so, discuss.

-EnVus-
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Ive seen way to many Dual survival episodes so it can be done without the pills. The water also can be boiled in a way to become drinkable and it being an island even if just sand the ocean has fish,algae etc..

D3UC3S
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
The old man may be wiser and more keen on hiding places..... That even the field out pretty well. Whatever happens, happens.

D3UC3S
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Ive seen way to many Dual survival episodes so it can be done without the pills. The water also can be boiled in a way to become drinkable and it being an island even if just sand the ocean has fish,algae etc..

Point missed....

-EnVus-
04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Point missed....
How is it missed the question is what would you do....SURVIVE thats the scenario conclusion

D3UC3S
04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Ya what would would you do within the given parameters....not what you would do in real life. It's theoretical and the guidelines are now being skewed by logic.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 06:26 PM
any other questions, ask away.

I'll post my answer shortly.

Here's my answer.

You implied earlier that it was possible to hunt. Even if it was for a meager amount of food, I don't see how, in combination with the pills, everyone couldn't make it off the island alive. Divide out the pills to the weaker ones and the stronger one hunt/gather food. Ration it so it last the remaining days and wait out a rescue team.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 06:30 PM
If its not possible to hunt or live off of the local vegetation, then its grandpa's responsibility to forego the pill since it comes down to the continuation of the human race.

Elbow
04-23-2013, 06:45 PM
The old man is actually Obama.

CSquared
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Assuming there is no other way to sustain life... sorry gramps. This scenario doesn't take into account what the currently worthless chick might go on to accomplish given the chance to live.

This is about obamacare. The pills are health insurance and "you can't provide it to everyone."

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
The old man is actually Obama.

If the president is missing, there's probably gonna be a worldwide manhunt for him, in which case, the chances of a rescue team showing up before that 28 days increases dramatically.

David88vert
04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
The pill is small and requires no water to take it.

If i have self revealed, then reveal my answer or purpose for asking. Avoiding the question is not an answer. The scenario is boxed around making the choice of who lives and why.

You misinterpreted what I was saying, but I can see why you could easily misinterpret it.
What I was saying is if the pill is large and no water, then the answer reveals itself as everyone dies.
If the pill is a suppository, the answer reveals itself as someone will not take a huge pill in the exit orifice, and thus one will die.

I did not mean that YOUR personal answer was self-revealing.

Regardless, any pill that contains enough water, nutrients, and calories to sustain someone that long would have to be huge - its simple physics. You can't compress that much into a small pill, no matter what technology existed.

Since you continue to refuse to allow my answer, then my backup is that the boat sinks on the way back to check up on the island, and they all die anyway.

David88vert
04-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Reverse osmosis - FTW.

David88vert
04-23-2013, 07:22 PM
If the president is missing, there's probably gonna be a worldwide manhunt for him, in which case, the chances of a rescue team showing up before that 28 days increases dramatically.

There would be a lot more than 5 people there if Obama was the old man. Where did all the SS agents go?

Echonova
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
The old man is actually Obama.Impossible. The old man's job is listed as a mechanic (retired).

We all know know Obama has never fixed a damn thing in his life.

.blank cd
04-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Impossible. The old man's job is listed as a mechanic (retired).

This was clever. I'll give you that.

00CelicaGT
04-23-2013, 08:43 PM
I'd kill the other 2 males and have an extra pill just incase that rescue boat doesn't come when it should. Then spend the next month having unprotected sex with 2 women and hope they aren't pregnant by the time we get rescued.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Impossible. The old man's job is listed as a mechanic (retired).

ROFL................

Honestly..... it's time we all get together and create some type of award to give this man.

Sinfix_15
04-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I would have to let the older gentleman be without the pill. Looking at it from a simple mathematics point of view, i am saving more life choosing other members of the group. In that situation, i would probably ask the old man if he would forego the pill to give it to his son or daughter and then point out that everyone else there is someone else's son or daughter. Every son or daughter will eventually mourn the loss of a parent, but no parent should have to mourn the loss of a son or daughter.

In this scenario, you're making a decision based on 5 people. Of those 5 people, which have the ability to disagree with the decision on who gets the pill and who doesnt? and why?

If the group voted that the youngest and most physically fit male was to forego the pill, how would they impose that decision?
If the group voted that one of the females had to forego the pill, what power would they have to protest?
Imagine yourself being every individual member of the group and being told to forego the pill, what is your reaction?