PDA

View Full Version : Sowo vs. Formula Drift

roxie911
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
So, I'm finally eligible for my paid vacation time at my job, and I was wondering which event would be better to use a day or two of that time for.

Southern Worthersee - I do own a Volkswagen, so it would make sense to go to one of the largest US VAG meets, right? It would be a good place to meet a lot of new friends who have the same interest and passion as I do for our cars. The only thing is that I'm kinda going in blind here. I've heard nothing but great things about Sowo, so I know it wouldn't be a let down, but I've still never been to Sowo OR Helen, GA, for that matter. Would it be worth picking over an event that I know is a blast?

Formula Drift - I went to this event one year and absolutely LOVED it. A lot more than I thought I would, to be honest. I know it's a great show, lots of fun, and I will know a lot of the people going (mostly from this forum). Plus, my boyfriend has never been, and I would really like to share the experience with him because I think he would really like it (cheesy, I know). Should I pick FD simply because I know it's fun, but risk missing out on a fun time at Sowo, as well?

I'm kinda torn between the two. Formula Drift would only take up one day of my vacation time as I would only go for the actual event, not practice. I would take 2 days for Sowo so I could be there both Friday and Saturday (already have friends who have an extra room for me to stay in). The remainder of my vacation time will be used for a vacation that the bf and I are already starting to plan.

I know there will be people who have never been to Sowo/FD, but any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

TLDR - Should I use some of my vacation time for Sowo or Formula Drift?

Hermin
04-15-2013, 01:24 PM
I've been to both.. I'd say SOWO IMO. You have already been to FD, try something different. SOWO is the meet of the year IMO..

red08passat
04-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Never been to formula drift but SOWO is amazing!

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Why not both?

David88vert
04-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Why not both?

Reading comprehension - you need to get some.

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Reading comprehension - you need to get some.

She said it would be two days vacay for Sowo, and one day for FD. Why not take one day for Sowo and one day for FD

roxie911
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
She said it would be two days vacay for Sowo, and one day for FD. Why not take one day for Sowo and one day for FD

I work at a dealership. If I took 2 Saturdays off in a row, my manager would have a fit and yell at me and tell me that I didn't care about my job and blah blah blah.

I wish I could go to both. The fact that Sowo follows FD kills it for me, unfortunately.

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I work at a dealership. If I took 2 Saturdays off in a row, my manager would have a fit and yell at me and tell me that I didn't care about my job and blah blah blah.

I wish I could go to both. The fact that Sowo follows FD kills it for me, unfortunately.

I guess I'm just jaded by the fact that I don't have to work on weekends. Lol.

roxie911
04-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I guess I'm just jaded by the fact that I don't have to work on weekends. Lol.

Yeah, I definitely miss my weekends for this reason alone. Hopefully I won't be at the dealership for too much longer.

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I definitely miss my weekends for this reason alone. Hopefully I won't be at the dealership for too much longer.

If it were me, I'd game the schedule. Only ask for the Friday off, and work every Saturday up until the following Saturday. That way you've used one vacation day, and you've spent a day at both events.

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 08:42 PM
In other words, work every Saturday up until FD, go that Saturday, then request the next Friday off for Sowo.

roxie911
04-15-2013, 08:48 PM
In other words, work every Saturday up until FD, go that Saturday, then request the next Friday off for Sowo.

Both of the "main" events are on Saturday for sowo and FD. And Sowo is the weekend after FD.

.blank cd
04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
This is probably one of the reasons I quit working at a dealership. Lol

I will say that Sowo is the best car meet Ive ever been to, hands down. Ever. The whole time, there were no ricer revving or burnout attempts. I didnt stay long enough to see if there was litter, but I didn't see any there. Plus you've got Helen to walk around and check out as well, which is kinda cool.

Echonova
04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
SoWo.

For all the reasons listed above... Plus fanboi drifters wearing skinny jeans with feeble attempts to grow manly beards are out of style this year.

Vteckidd
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Ive been to both, SOWO > Formula D

SOWO is such a cool venue, and the people /party is very nice. FOrmula D is a bunch of posers and retards and tourists. Its boring.

FOrmula D is an event, SOWO is more of a meet/hang out/bbq/chill/party.

roxie911
04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
This is probably one of the reasons I quit working at a dealership. Lol

I will say that Sowo is the best car meet Ive ever been to, hands down. Ever. The whole time, there were no ricer revving or burnout attempts. I didnt stay long enough to see if there was litter, but I didn't see any there. Plus you've got Helen to walk around and check out as well, which is kinda cool.

I plan on leaving soon, as well. I hate it here.

And that's usually the case with most VAG meets. It's just a group of cool guys/gals that just hang out and show our cars. There's no need to do the other stupid shit because we're all pretty much on the same page as far as mods go. If someone does have something off the wall (like I'll have a custom E85 tune for my GTI that should be making close to K04 power on the stock K03...which is pretty ridiculous), they usually don't have to show it off because everyone will already know. The forums are hella close and it's just a big family. Best enthusiast group that I've ever been a part of :)

SoWo.

For all the reasons listed above... Plus fanboi drifters wearing skinny jeans with feeble attempts to grow manly beards are out of style this year.

I've pretty much decided on Sowo lol It seems like I'll probably enjoy it more BECAUSE it's my first time.

SOWO is such a cool venue, and the people /party is very nice. FOrmula D is a bunch of posers and retards and tourists. Its boring.

Yeah, I think I'll enjoy Sowo a lot more than FD. I looooove my car, so sharing a weekend with people who feel the same way should be a lot of fun. Plus, I have like 37582375893463 parties to go to while I'm there lol

E36slide
04-16-2013, 10:17 AM

So is fd. We party have meets and chill while barbequing. Someone is hating on the drift scene lolol

But if I had to choose (take in mind I drift) I would choose sowo. A lot more to see and do. You get to see some pretty cool ass cars. I miss living in lula which is close by the meet. It's deff very crowded though.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Vteckidd
04-16-2013, 10:35 AM
like i said, posers

Kid i went to Formula D the first year it was here, you were still getting your ass pounded in jail.

E36slide
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
i love unicorns

roxie911
04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
You don't know when I was in jail. If you actually think people get raped in county jail then you truly are an idiot. Posers are every where not just at fd moron. Not everyone there is a poser. Half of them would wipe the track with your ass. You may not like drifting, but thats your problem. That's like me saying everyone who drives a tsx acura takes tons of dick to the throat....wait that statement was true.

Since you know people have their ass pounded in jail, was that what happened to you? Were you touched as a child? Do you secretly dig boys? Is justin beiber your idol?

The only poser at fd was yourself.

Could you not start drama in my thread?
Thank you.
Go make your own if you want to bitch and throw insults.

.blank cd
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
All FD hate aside, I'm going to FD this year. My wife enjoys the race and checking out the race cars, and its her birthday so we're gonna invite some of her friends and family and grill out. It's not hard to disassociate yourself from the rest of the crowd.

Sowo was a life altering event for me. I was so amazed by the quality of people and the quality of the event. Everyone you stopped to ask about their car was happy to tell you anything about it. No one had that superiority complex you find everywhere else. It just seems to me like its VAG people, then everything else in a separate group.

I was this close to signing for a MK6 GLI all because of Sowo, but Honda came back with an offer on my SI that I couldn't pass up. But since then, I stopped hanging out at Barrett. It's just a bunch of kids with small dicks trying to prove how big they are. And coincidentally, very few Dubbers hang out there. I love my Hondas, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for the VAG.

E36slide
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
touch my udders

Vteckidd
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes blank, it can be enjoyed , but Ive found the CLASS of people attending the event has seriously declined in the last 2-3 years. I stopped going when I stopped getting free tickets. Im sure the drifter kids will LOVE it and they should, but I was less and less impressed with the cars, event, and class of person showing up.

SOWO I absolutely had a blast, and I HATE CAR MEETS. My ex GF was in charge of a vendor booth there (a large vendor booth) so i went with her because , you guessed it, FREE. I was driving an Acura TL at the time, and the VW crowd sure does know how to act and put an event on.

Everyone was so friendly and laid back, no hate, no "clicks" of kids talking shit about others, and no superiority complex that you see at other meets.

Roxie, youve done FD, id def go to SOWO, especially since you are one of the "owners" now.

P.S. i deleted his comments, ill keep the thread inline

roxie911
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
All FD hate aside, I'm going to FD this year. My wife enjoys the race and checking out the race cars, and its her birthday so we're gonna invite some of her friends and family and grill out. It's not hard to disassociate yourself from the rest of the crowd.

Sowo was a life altering event for me. I was so amazed by the quality of people and the quality of the event. Everyone you stopped to ask about their car was happy to tell you anything about it. No one had that superiority complex you find everywhere else. It just seems to me like its VAG people, then everything else in a separate group.

I was this close to signing for a MK6 GLI all because of Sowo, but Honda came back with an offer on my SI that I couldn't pass up. But since then, I stopped hanging out at Barrett. It's just a bunch of kids with small dicks trying to prove how big they are. And coincidentally, very few Dubbers hang out there. I love my Hondas, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for the VAG.

Yes, the VAG scene is very very different from the scene that we all know on here. It's amazing how different the two groups are. I had been to several of the "honda" meets and they are all the same except for a select few. There's just no need to TRY to impress people in the VAG scene. All of our cars are pretty much the same lol We're all here to help each other learn. I go to a monthly VW meet and I'm always being asked questions about APR or my car and I always ask questions and get the nicest response. I've learned more from the VAG scene than I ever did when I was active on here or attending the meets advertised here. It's just a great group to be a part of :)
Granted, there are those few douchebags, but that's pretty much expected haha

Yes blank, it can be enjoyed , but Ive found the CLASS of people attending the event has seriously declined in the last 2-3 years. I stopped going when I stopped getting free tickets. Im sure the drifter kids will LOVE it and they should, but I was less and less impressed with the cars, event, and class of person showing up.

SOWO I absolutely had a blast, and I HATE CAR MEETS. My ex GF was in charge of a vendor booth there (a large vendor booth) so i went with her because , you guessed it, FREE. I was driving an Acura TL at the time, and the VW crowd sure does know how to act and put an event on.

Everyone was so friendly and laid back, no hate, no "clicks" of kids talking shit about others, and no superiority complex that you see at other meets.

Roxie, youve done FD, id def go to SOWO, especially since you are one of the "owners" now.

P.S. i deleted his comments, ill keep the thread inline

Thanks for the helpful moderating. It is appreciated, sir! :)

I will be going to Sowo. I've officially decided.
I will be working a booth there, as well (HighwayStar Garage), so some of my time will be spent there when I'm not out exploring or visiting friends and vendors and stuff. I'm super excited to go, and I know I'm gonna have a GREAT time.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Vteckidd
04-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Have you ever been to Helen before? Pretty town, gorgeous venue. have fun!

BKgen®
04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
>making a thread about this

http://i.imgur.com/CUUTLUd.jpg

roxie911
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Have you ever been to Helen before? Pretty town, gorgeous venue. have fun!

I have not. I'm looking forward to that too. Everyone says it's beautiful.
And thanks! I will.

>making a thread about this

http://i.imgur.com/CUUTLUd.jpg

You're just jealous you're not going :P

BKgen®
04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
MAKE MY DECISIONS FOR ME, GUISE.

lol just pick one and go with it. If you like VWs (protip: you probably do), go to SoWo. If you like rednecks and 240s, go to FD.

roxie911
04-16-2013, 02:03 PM
MAKE MY DECISIONS FOR ME, GUISE.

lol just pick one and go with it. If you like VWs (protip: you probably do), go to SoWo. If you like rednecks and 240s, go to FD.

I like both :) I would have been happy with either event/meet, so this was a different way of flipping a coin, I guess.

Y u gotta make errthang so difficult, Brodano?!

Nemesis
04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
be prepared for a weekend of #APR #GOAPR

and wtf is vag scene.... other than what it sounds like -_-

roxie911
04-16-2013, 02:24 PM
be prepared for a weekend of #APR #GOAPR

and wtf is vag scene.... other than what it sounds like -_-

Yessir! GO APR!! I'm sure my Instagram will be filled with stuff like that lol

It's short for "Volkswagen Auto Group" (although, I've heard that that's not actually true, but it's what we all use it as). It's to cover all the bases for meets...Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, etc.

It's not pronounced how everyone thinks it is either lol
Like...Vag....zig ZAG....VAG.
I'm sure that didn't make any sense, but I tried.

youtried.jpeg

E36slide
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
D rock had a tag that said mhmm vag. That was his excuse for what it meant ^ lol

.blank cd
04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
VAJ

quickdodge®
04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I've been to neither event. Never been to any drift event because I don't like drifting at all. Never been to SoWo because I don't have a VW and just never went up there. That being said, I would choose the VW meet over FD a million times over. Not because I dislike drifting, but mainly because like Mike said,

Have you ever been to Helen before? Pretty town, gorgeous venue.

Helen is great and it would be more than going to the meet. Quite a bit of other stuff there as well. Great place to relax.

roxie911
04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
I've been to neither event. Never been to any drift event because I don't like drifting at all. Never been to SoWo because I don't have a VW and just never went up there. That being said, I would choose the VW meet over FD a million times over. Not because I dislike drifting, but mainly because like Mike said,

Helen is great and it would be more than going to the meet. Quite a bit of other stuff there as well. Great place to relax.

And that is exactly what I need...a relaxing, but fun vacation.

I've been working at this dealership for over a year now and have yet to take a day off other than my assigned days. I think going up to Helen will be exactly what I need. SoWo will be nothing but a big party, so I can let loose for a day, and then the rest of the time I can just relax and enjoy the scenery and cars.

Thanks, QD.

Julio
04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
F- Drift.. Redneck extravaganza... VW... Better better gearheads.

Echonova
04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I've pretty much decided on Sowo lol It seems like I'll probably enjoy it more BECAUSE it's my first time.I always imagined me as being your first time...

But whatever. As long as you have a good time I will be satisfied. At least that what I keep telling myself.

Stormhammer
04-24-2013, 05:50 PM
You could do both in one day. Go to SoWo in the AM for a few hours, then head over to Road Atlanta for Drift Atlanta - stuff doesn't pick up till early afternoon anyways!

roxie911
04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
You could do both in one day. Go to SoWo in the AM for a few hours, then head over to Road Atlanta for Drift Atlanta - stuff doesn't pick up till early afternoon anyways!

They're on two different weekends.

I've decided on SoWo. Already requested the days off and everything.

SmackedInATL
04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I'll be hitting up sowo myself!

roxie911
04-26-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll be hitting up sowo myself!

Oh werd!

Come say hi! I'll be at the HighwayStar Garage booth :)

.blank cd
04-26-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm gonna take both weekends off. Paid. Hehehehehe.

SmackedInATL
04-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Oh werd!

Come say hi! I'll be at the HighwayStar Garage booth :)

No doubt. I'll come find ya. I'm going to be riding up with some other beetles.

boostedb16
04-27-2013, 10:05 AM
this will be my first SOWO meet as well. i am new to the vw scene but i think i am on the right track with my 04 jetta. i will stop by to say just because i dont know you hahaha.

roxie911
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm gonna take both weekends off. Paid. Hehehehehe.

Bastard -__-

No doubt. I'll come find ya. I'm going to be riding up with some other beetles.

Cool deal.
Just look for a Grey mkvi GTI on BBS CH's :) (though I'm sure I won't be the only one....just look for the girl driver haha)

this will be my first SOWO meet as well. i am new to the vw scene but i think i am on the right track with my 04 jetta. i will stop by to say just because i dont know you hahaha.

Welcome to the VW scene! Everyone loves the mkiv, so you'll be good. And yes! Come say hi. It's always nice to meet new people.

I hope you plan on taking that Jetta down to APR soon ;) They will be doing free installs at SoWo FWIW.

boostedb16
04-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Mine has a giac tune right now.

roxie911
04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Mine has a giac tune right now.

Which tune?

I'm at APR Stage 2+ right now.

.blank cd
04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Which tune?

I'm at APR Stage 2+ right now.

Let me ask you an off topic question..

Are you not worried about the warranty with that ECU? This is what kinda made me hesitant to buy the GLI cause I knew I wanted the chip cause it was cheap, but I didn't want to ruin the warranty.

roxie911
04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Let me ask you an off topic question..

Are you not worried about the warranty with that ECU? This is what kinda made me hesitant to buy the GLI cause I knew I wanted the chip cause it was cheap, but I didn't want to ruin the warranty.

Well, first....I'm already out of warranty lol I have 44k miles on the car right now.

I bought the car with 9600 miles on it and had my Stage 1 done at 10k miles. I walked into Jim Ellis VW on Peachtree Industrial and straight up told him about the ECU upgrade and the Carbonio and he shrugged and didn't bug me about it again. It all depends on where you go and what you're needing done. If your clutch goes out and you're Stage 1+ and you're trying to get that warrantied...they're probably going to laugh at you. I haven't had an issue with my car, so I never had to worry about the warranty. To this day, they still ask if I've done anything else to the car and are always excited to see my plans. It depends on how you present yourself and the car, honestly.

roxie911
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
So, possibly quitting my job tomorrow and moving down to Auburn/Opelika, AL next Wednesday :D

I'll still be going to SoWo, but this means I might be able to go to Formula Drift too!!! It will depend on my financial situation.

D3UC3S
04-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Well, first....I'm already out of warranty lol I have 44k miles on the car right now.

I bought the car with 9600 miles on it and had my Stage 1 done at 10k miles. I walked into Jim Ellis VW on Peachtree Industrial and straight up told him about the ECU upgrade and the Carbonio and he shrugged and didn't bug me about it again. It all depends on where you go and what you're needing done. If your clutch goes out and you're Stage 1+ and you're trying to get that warrantied...they're probably going to laugh at you. I haven't had an issue with my car, so I never had to worry about the warranty. To this day, they still ask if I've done anything else to the car and are always excited to see my plans. It depends on how you present yourself and the car, honestly.

Probly doesn't hurt having tits either...

roxie911
04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Probly doesn't hurt having tits either...

Can't say I disagree lol

D3UC3S
04-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm glad you took that the way it was meant to be taken.

I wish I had an old school slammed bug. Sowo is the shit. We were all driving our jeeps over Tray Mtn a dew years back and didn't even realize it was that weekend. Very cool just riding through with monster jeeps surrounded by cars dragging ass everywhere.

toxxxic
05-06-2013, 02:55 AM
why not go to both? Formula D's main event doesn't start till later, you probably wouldn't even need to take time off. That's what I'm doing, just heading out there after I get off work on Saturday.

Doppelgänger
05-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Skip the hipster bandwagon beat-ass car event, go enjoy the mountains and the food. I'm far from a VW person, but I'd rather go to SoWo than FD. I have been to a number of FD events (including the first one) and I generally dislike the "scene" that accompanies said event. Not to mention the course at RA used for FD is pretty boring to watch.

.blank cd
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Skip the hipster bandwagon beat-ass car event, go enjoy the mountains and the food. I'm far from a VW person, but I'd rather go to SoWo than FD. I have been to a number of FD events (including the first one) and I generally dislike the "scene" that accompanies said event. Not to mention the course at RA used for FD is pretty boring to watch.

I hate the scene too, and to be honest, I'm effectively out of it. Lol. But I still enjoy hangin out watching the drift races. Especially since I only have to do it once a year. With that said, I'll probably be at both.

roxie911
05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
So, I ended up quitting my job about a week ago. I will have the time and money to go to both, but I will be moving to Opelika, AL this weekend, so FD is a no-go. I will definitely be going to SoWo though, so hit me up if you're there!