PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about RX8s?

Matt300ZXT
03-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I've had a boner for these cars for so long and I don't know why. I've had 1 or 2 people offer to trade one for my 300ZX, and a guy offer to buy my 300ZX in a couple weeks and RX8s are some of the cars I'm kinda looking at.

I know it's a huge downgrade in engine power but I wouldn't mind a newer car with newer technology and they look like fun...and would be cool to have a car that pretty much demands you redline it once a day lol

Echonova
03-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Rotary's are fun. Yes they demand/require a good flogging everyday... If you can't do that, move on.

I am no believer that the rotaries are magic however. They also require constant vigilance when it comes to maintenance.

Do both and you will be rewarded with a car like no other.

Fail and you will be rewarded with never-ending trips to the local mechanic that can't be solved by mere mortals.

Sinfix_15
03-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Good platform. Handling prowess is on par with it's predecessor. Like most rotaries in the known universe, the engine is a boat anchor. Mazda offered to replace the engines under 100k miles as an attempt to save their reputation. Most rx8s did have their engines replaced.... at least once. I guarantee if you ask whoever is selling an rx8 if it has the original engine they will say no followed by some "but this engine is better" comfort story. Notorious flooder, there's even a protocol for how to shut it off without flooding it or what to do when it floods. I would have no interest at all in buying one with intention of driving it with a rotary engine unless it had less than 100k miles, so it's covered on the engine replacement. Under powered annoyingly slow car stock. The pathetic engine really hides how great of a car it actually is.

Theyre cheap and affordable because of the junk engine. Good chance of finding one for 3-4k with a blown engine. Ls1 swap is an available option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Omugb2mfNk

Sinfix_15
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dm0IKl6cd2c

silversol
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
I have a buddy with one. We put a built ls 6.0 into it! Fixed the rotory issues!