PDA

View Full Version : Political Compass

bu villain
03-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Obviously, tests like this should be taken with a grain of salt but thought this might be fun:

The Political Compass - Test (http://www.politicalcompass.org/test)

I scored:

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

David88vert
03-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

I don't think that this their results are necessarily correct. How do they really know what is "in the middle"?

BanginJimmy
03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Havent finished the survey yet, but I have one observation to make. There are MANY very leading questions in this. At least part of this was written by someone pretty far to the left and instead of creating an unbiased survey, they wrote survey in a way as to get the results they want. In many cases those questions force your score to the left. I tried to balance it out some, but without knowing on individual questions are weighted there is no way to tell if I did or not, based on my score, I would say I didnt push it far at all.

BanginJimmy
03-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Economic: .62
Social: -3.69

You know the survey is complete BS when you have Obama surveyed as anything right.

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Economic: .62
Social: -3.69

You know the survey is complete BS when you have Obama surveyed as anything right.

Obama is about the most republican president we've had in a while. Lol

Sinfix_15
03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree that this was a survey created by a lefty.

Economic 6.62
Social -2.77

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I agree that this was a survey created by a lefty.

Economic 6.62
Social -2.77

I rest my case. I've exposed the inherent flaw in this test.

You're welcome Bu.

Vteckidd
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Obama is about the most republican president we've had in a while. Lol

Black doe

/racism

Vteckidd
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I dont need a survey to tell my political leanings, i dont really identify with either ruling party

Sinfix_15
03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
heres another compass that i thought was a little better.

Political Spectrum Quiz - Your Political Label (http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html)

My score
+6.46 Right
+6.07 Libertarian

Sinfix_15
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

You're welcome Bu.

Explain.....

These tests fall in line with what i openly claim to be....... No mystery was solved here.

David88vert
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM

You're welcome Bu.

If it was accurate, then how could it end up with my results? There is no way that I could be that "fair and balanced", "right"?

And yes, those are the real scores that it "evaluated". I put quotes around it, because I don't trust it could evaluate the results accurately.

Echonova
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
bu quiz:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Sin quiz:

Compass:
You are a right social moderate.
Right: 5.11, Libertarian: 0.43

Sinfix_15
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
When i get a moment, i am going to create my own quiz for giggles. Better yet..... id love to see one created by Blank or Bu

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
If it was accurate, then how could it end up with my results? There is no way that I could be that "fair and balanced", "right"?

And yes, those are the real scores that it "evaluated". I put quotes around it, because I don't trust it could evaluate the results accurately.

The test is as accurate as it can get, but its only as accurate as the results you give it. Ones perception of the results is the issue.

David88vert
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
The test is as accurate as it can get, but its only as accurate as the results you give it. Ones perception of the results is the issue.

So, I'm more balanced than Gandhi? I answered honestly. BTW - who had Hitler, Stalin, and the rest of the people tested? Or did they just make up their "results"?

BanginJimmy
03-20-2013, 06:32 PM

The test isnt accurate because of the questions designed to give a predetermined answer.

So, I'm more balanced than Gandhi? I answered honestly. BTW - who had Hitler, Stalin, and the rest of the people tested? Or did they just make up their "results"?

It says the results of the current and historical leaders was based on their writings and other media.

David88vert
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
It says the results of the current and historical leaders was based on their writings and other media.

That's just someone else pretending to know how they would answer. I could do that for blank, but it doesn't mean that I really know what's going on in his thoughts.

The quiz has ruined my future political career. I am so far in the middle that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats would have me........

Echonova
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I am so far in the middle that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats would have me........I see that as a positive.

Both parties suck ass (currently).

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 07:22 PM
The test isnt accurate because of the questions designed to give a predetermined answer.

The test is as accurate as the answers you give it.

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
That's just someone else pretending to know how they would answer. I could do that for blank, but it doesn't mean that I really know what's going on in his thoughts.
The positions of past and present political leaders are pretty well documented. It's not like we're talking about Ghengis Khan.

Echonova
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
The positions of past and present political leaders are pretty well documented. It's not like we're talking about Ghengis Khan.Ehhhh yea... But what they said vs what they really think is a question only they could answer. I mean, I know it's a far-fetched idea for any political figure to say just what they think people want to hear. But it could happen someday.

David88vert
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Ehhhh yea... But what they said vs what they really think is a question only they could answer. I mean, I know it's a far-fetched idea for any political figure to say just what they think people want to hear. But it could happen someday.

Actually, their score for the people that did not take the quiz is based upon their interpretation of documentation, and that interpretation is dependent upon the own position on the questions.

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Ehhhh yea... But what they said vs what they really think is a question only they could answer. I mean, I know it's a far-fetched idea for any political figure to say just what they think people want to hear. But it could happen someday.

Are you suggesting that Hitler didnt say what he thought?

Echonova
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Are you suggesting that Hitler didnt say what he thought?Are you saying that Hilter told everyone that would listen about the death camps he put in place?

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Are you saying that Hilter told everyone that would listen about the death camps he put in place?

Death camps weren't his idea.

This is what Im talking about.

Echonova
03-20-2013, 08:31 PM
What are you talking about?

Echonova
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
So what I'm getting out of this is... Obama (or any leader for that matter) is 100% honest in everything he/they say/wrote publicly, all the time, and there is no political double-talk going on, nor has there ever been any.

I mean, I guess Sinfix could read Obama's autobiography (that Obama didn't write) and see what his real thoughts are. Take the quiz as Obama and it will be dead accurate

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
What, about the death camps?

Echonova
03-20-2013, 08:53 PM
What, about the death camps?I've got nothing more to say about the death camps... You made it clear that Hitler had nothing to do with it, didn't order the final solution, didn't sanction it, and had he known he would have been very upset.

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I've got nothing more to say about the death camps... You made it clear that Hitler had nothing to do with it, didn't order the final solution, didn't sanction it, and had he known he would have been very upset.

Oh ok. You implied that hitler was sitting around a table figuring out how to exterminate Jews, when this wasnt the case. Just clarifying that this final solution was not Hitlers idea

Echonova
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Oh ok. You implied that hitler was sitting around a table figuring out how to exterminate Jews, when this wasnt the case. Just clarifying that this final solution was not Hitlers ideaOh ok.

Was he upset when he found out about it?

.blank cd
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I guess not since he approved it

Vteckidd
03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
The point is that you cannot read every post on ImportAtlanta that i have made and then act like you can predetermine my answers to a survey. Thats the WHOLE POINT OF A SURVEY!

I dont pretend to know how Blank would answer this survey, you shouldnt act like you know how Ghandi or Hitler would either.

Surveys are pointless IMO, if you are not smart enough to know where you fall in the political spectrum, you lack conviction and knowledge, period.

.blank cd
03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
The point is that you cannot read every post on ImportAtlanta that i have made and then act like you can predetermine my answers to a survey. Thats the WHOLE POINT OF A SURVEY!

I dont pretend to know how Blank would answer this survey, you shouldnt act like you know how Ghandi or Hitler would either.

Surveys are pointless IMO, if you are not smart enough to know where you fall in the political spectrum, you lack conviction and knowledge, period.

This still goes back to what I said, the test is only as accurate as the answers you give it. Output = Input. Based on the answers given by any given figure, and using whatever metric they're using, I can figure out of they're left or right of center. Same goes with you. You can manipulate the test if you want, but you're gonna get a manipulated answer. If you answer the questions honestly, based on what you actually think about the answer, you'll get an honest result.

Sinfix_15
03-21-2013, 06:34 AM
So what I'm getting out of this is... Obama (or any leader for that matter) is 100% honest in everything he/they say/wrote publicly, all the time, and there is no political double-talk going on, nor has there ever been any.

I mean, I guess Sinfix could read Obama's autobiography (that Obama didn't write) and see what his real thoughts are. Take the quiz as Obama and it will be dead accurate

Sure can, i will fill out a quiz on behalf of Obama shortly.

Sinfix_15
03-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Based on Obama's actions, i have interpreted his answers to the quiz. They are as follows.....

1. Laws should restrict abortion in all or most cases.
Obama A: Can we tax abortions?
2. Unions were indispensible in establishing the middle class.
Obama A: What's a union? ive never actually had a job.
3. In nearly every instance, the free market allocates resources most efficiently.
Obama A: a free market? that just runs itself without government ROFL!!
4. Public radio and television funded by the state provide a valuable service the citizens.
Obama A: We talkin about big bird right now? We gonna go that route?
5. Some people should not be allowed to reproduce.
Obama A: White people and republicans... oh wait, all white people are republicans!
6. Access to healthcare is a right.
Obama A: Or a tax, whichever the SC will accept.
7. The rich should pay a higher tax rate than the middle class.
Obama A: uh.. yeah, what do you think i'm stupid?
8. School science classes should teach intelligent design.
Obama A: can you move that teleprompter up a little bit.... just a little bit more, ok thats good. Ohio State..... that's who's gonna win the NCAA championship.
9. Marriage must be heralded for the important role it plays in society.
Obama A: Without question, just ask my friend Bill.
10. Sometimes war is necessary, even if it means you strike first.
Obama A: Drone first, ask questions later.
11. Patriotism is an overrated quality.
Obama A: Bunch of racist rednecks clinging to their guns.
12. Radio stations should be required to present balanced news coverage.
Obama A: Should be required to present whatever i tell them to.
13. Government should do something about the increasing violence in video games.
Obama A: Can we tax violent video games?
14. If our leader meets with our enemies, it makes us appear weak.
Obama A: If i leave the white house, its to play golf.
15. We must use our military from time to time to protect our supply of oil, to avoid a national crisis.
Obama A: Manufactured crisis is the lifeblood of government.... are we on air yet? alright. Energy independence, thats what america needs.
16. Strong gun ownership rights protect the people against tyranny.
Obama A: Only racist rednecks believe in tyranny, we should take their guns.
17. It makes no sense to say 'I'm spiritual but not religious.'
Obama A: DONT CARE!! next question
18. It is not government's responsibility to regulate pollution.
Obama A: Say that one more time and see what happens....
19. Gay marriage should be forbidden.
Obama A: If it pisses off republicans im all for it.
20. It should be against the law to use hateful language toward another racial group.
Obama A: Unless its white people.
21. Government should ensure that all citizens meet a certain minimum standard of living.
Obama A: Maximum.... i think is what you meant to say, government should make sure nobody is too rich.... other than us, of course.
22. It is wrong to enforce moral behavior through the law because this infringes upon an individual's freedom.
Obama A: Who knows better about morality than father government?
23. Immigration restrictions are economically protectionist. Non-citizens should be allowed to sell their labor domestically at a rate the market will pay.
Obama A: If there's a vote for sale, i'm buying!
24. An official language should be set, and immigrants should have to learn it.
Obama A: As long as they understand "vote D all the way down"
25. Whatever maximizes economic growth is good for the people.
Obama A: I will tell the people what is good for them.
26. Racial issues will never be resolved. It is human nature to prefer one's own race.
Obama A: I prefer my father's race.
27. People with a criminal history should not be able to vote.
Obama A: If there's a vote for sale.........
28. Marijuana should be legal.
Obama A: i might need this one to make people forget about the gun grab...... gonna tax the ever loving piss out of it though.
29. The state should fine television stations for broadcasting offensive language.
Obama A: As long as they get Fox News.
30. It does not make sense to understand the motivations of terrorists because they are self-evidently evil.
Obama A: Understand motivations? where's that button on this remote control?
31. The lower the taxes, the better off we all are.
Obama A: BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
32. Minority groups that have faced discrimination should receive help from the state to get on an equal footing.
Obama A: How many times to i have to say it? if there's a vote for sale....
33. It is wrong to question a leader in wartime.
Obama A: Dont question me period.
34. Tighter regulation would have prevented the collapse of the lending industry.
Obama A: There's really nothing the good ole regulation squeeze cant fix.
35. It makes sense and is fair that some people make much more money than others.
Obama A: I will decide who should and should not make more money.
36. Toppling enemy regimes to spread democracy will make the world a safer place.
Obama A: Call of Duty IRL son!
37. The state has no business regulating alcohol and tobacco products.
Obama A: Anything and everything is the state's business
38. If an unwed teen becomes pregnant, abortion may be a responsible choice.
Obama A: Sarah Palin is a whore.
39. International trade agreements should require environmental protections and workers' rights. (meaning: no free trade with countries that lack pollution controls or labor protections)
Obama A: If we can save one tree, then we have to try.
40. Gay equality is a sign of progress.
Obama A: Cant wait to see the look on Rick Santorum's face
41. The state should be able to put a criminal to death if the crime was serious enough.
Obama A: or.... hear me out..... lets load them up with guns so we can track how criminals transfer guns. Just a thought.... sleep on it.
42. The military budget should be scaled back.
Obama A: Scrap everything but the drones.
43. Economic competition results in inumerable innovations that improve all of our lives.
Obama A: No no no no....
44. It is not our place to condemn other cultures as backwards or barbaric.
Obama A: Congress is backwards and barbaric.
45. When one group is slaughtering another group somewhere in the world, we have a responsibility to intervene.
Obama A: Osama Bin Laden.... just sayin
46. We'd be better off if we could just lock up some of the people expressing radical political views, and keep them away from society.
Obama A: Conservatives...... if only we didnt rely on them to pay for all of my policies.
47. Unrestrained capitalism cannot last, as wealth and power will concentrate to a small elite.
Obama A: I will decide what to do with all of your capital.
48. It is a problem when young people display a lack of respect for authority.
Obama A: Too young to vote? DONT CARE!!!!
49. When corporate interests become too powerful, the state should take action to ensure the public interest is served.
Obama A: They can either follow my command or be regulated into the ground.
50. A person's morality is of the most personal nature; therefore government should have no involvement in moral questions or promote moral behaviors.
Obama A: The government should be your guide in all things, nothing too big or too small.
51. The state should not set a minimum wage.
Obama A: Raise it!!! thats right... it makes minorities think im a hero.
52. A nation's retirement safety net cannot be trusted to the fluctuations of the stock market.
Obama A: I'm too rich to understand any of this. I have a guy for that.
53. Offensive or blasphemous art should be suppressed.
Obama A: Racism towards blacks and anti-government hate speech should be suppressed.

Optional. Please share some info about yourself.
Obama A: No thanx.

Echonova
03-21-2013, 08:11 AM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/Tri_Edge_Arts/Narsis%20v2/ThreadDerailment.jpg

Vteckidd
03-21-2013, 09:23 AM
12. Radio stations should be required to present balanced news coverage.

This type of question just proves how dumb this survey is. Define "balanced" and define Coverage. My knee jerk reaction to this question is no, no radio news station should be required to present balanced coverage, because what is balanced to 1 party is not in balance to another.

Who is doing the requiring though? Are we talking govt? Well then thats basically a govt run news organization which can lead to propaganda and other slippery slopes.

Who determines what is balanced?

As much as i HATE the mainstream media for being so blatantly biased, and Fox News occasionally is blatantly biased, I dont think anyone should require them to do anything. You should be informed of enough that you can form your own opinion.

This question alone is very leading and phrased incorrectly.

Shitty survey, gives shitty results.

bu villain
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I didn't intend for this survey to be taken seriously. Of course a 30 question internet survey with a very limited choice set can not accurately describe most people's beliefs. Even the labels "economic left/right" don't have concrete meanings. As Vteckidd pointed out in the post above, a lot of it depends on how you interpret questions and how you answer when the details matter but are not given. It seems some people are caught up on what their number is relative to 0 but I was more interested how we scored relative to each other.

bu villain
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Btw on Sinflix's test I got:

Left: 1.26, Libertarian: 5.34

Compared to my score on the test I posted:

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Which puts me in the same quadrant in either test but appear to be twice as much to the left on the one I posted. Does that mean the test I posted has a left bias? maybe, but it doesn't really matter. No one is gonna say, oh I didn't know I was a leftie, I guess I better get behind socialism and gay marriage now.

.blank cd
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
The other one wasnt more "left", the other one had less parameters to choose from. The 2nd one would give you a better result because you have extra options to choose from, like "neutral" and "how much does this matter to you"

.blank cd
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Even the labels "economic left/right" don't have concrete meanings..Fiscal Liberalism/Keynesism--Fiscal Conservatism/Neoclassicalism.

bu villain
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Fiscal Liberalism/Keynesism--Fiscal Conservatism/Neoclassicalism.

It's still just an aggregate number and not particularly descriptive. A person could believe in some Keynesian ideas but not in others. The weighting is then what becomes important. It's also not predictive. If a person scored 1.25 towards the fiscal left side, doesn't mean you know if they would vote for a tax increase or not or whether they want to reduce welfare benefits. I'm not saying the categorization is completely meaningless, just that it is far to imprecise and nebulous to take it too seriously. The questions are consistent from person to person so the value is more in seeing how people score relative to each other than from a questionably calibrated center point.

Vteckidd
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I didn't intend for this survey to be taken seriously. Of course a 30 question internet survey with a very limited choice set can not accurately describe most people's beliefs. Even the labels "economic left/right" don't have concrete meanings. As Vteckidd pointed out in the post above, a lot of it depends on how you interpret questions and how you answer when the details matter but are not given. It seems some people are caught up on what their number is relative to 0 but I was more interested how we scored relative to each other.wasnt bashing you per se, just pointing out the obvious problem with "surveys".

They did this when healthcare was being debated.

"Do you think everyone should have access to affordable healthcare regardless of income"- WELL, YEAH, THAT WOULD BE GREAT
"Do you think we should cover people with life threatening illnesses and not let them die in the street?"- WELL, YEAH, DUH

Queue News Report
"An overwhelming majority is in favor of Obamacare".....................

Thats like asking, "do you like football?" -YES

WELL YOU MUST BE A PATRIOTS FAN THEN, because you like football, so therefore, Patriots are a football team, so you like the Patriots.

BanginJimmy
03-22-2013, 03:29 PM
This still goes back to what I said, the test is only as accurate as the answers you give it. Output = Input. Based on the answers given by any given figure, and using whatever metric they're using, I can figure out of they're left or right of center. Same goes with you. You can manipulate the test if you want, but you're gonna get a manipulated answer. If you answer the questions honestly, based on what you actually think about the answer, you'll get an honest result.

With the test posted by Bu Villain this is not true. Several of the questions were worded in a way that dictated what any sane person would answer.

Some good examples:

"The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders." ANY sane person not trying to manipulate their score is going to disagree with this.

"A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies" ANY sane person, regardless of political affiliation is going to agree with this. No context to define predator?

"No broadcasting institution, however independent its content, should receive public funding." Obviously hinting at NPR, which is FAR from independent in its political content.

"Multinational companies are unethically exploiting the plant genetic resources of developing countries" More missing context.

I could go on, and I skipped MANY more leading questions, these were some of the worst though.

.blank cd
03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
With the test posted by Bu Villain this is not true. Several of the questions were worded in a way that dictated what any sane person would answer.
It's still true. What are you unclear about?

BanginJimmy
03-22-2013, 07:43 PM
It's still true. What are you unclear about?

I am unclear about nothing. The survey does not give an accurate picture because of the wording of the questions.

.blank cd
03-22-2013, 08:48 PM
The flaw is not in the wording if the question. Lol

Sinfix_15
03-23-2013, 06:34 AM
The flaw is not in the wording if the question. Lol

The first quiz had two left feet.