PDA

View Full Version : Couple short clips of me @ road atlanta yesterday

RL...
03-18-2013, 09:53 AM
@ 5:25 on the first video I passed an r8. :)

1) https://vimeo.com/62051676

2) https://vimeo.com/62051677

Doppelgänger
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Track out further on T1!!!

WhiteAccord
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
@ 5:25 on the first video I passed an r8. :)

1) https://vimeo.com/62051676

2) https://vimeo.com/62051677

Looks like he let you around him, and everyone else.

Shouldn't have added music to your vids.

RL...
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Track out further on T1!!!

Yeah I need to work on that, this was only my 2nd time ever at road atlanta and first time there in my G35. I learned a lot though.

Looks like he let you around him, and everyone else.

Shouldn't have added music to your vids.

An r8 is 100x more capable than my g35. If he was trying in any way shape or form(or maybe he just sucked that bad) it would've never happened. But regardless I still passed it. :) Next time I'll keep original audio.

I suck pretty bad at driving like this, still very new to it all. But I feel that the 3 track events I've done so far have made me a better driver overall but I definitely need a lot more practice. A lot more.

Elbow
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Good stuff, I saw 60+ cars registered for PDX this go around, fantastic. Going to do it again in May? Did you have an instructor?

If you're having fun learning that's all that matters. :yes:

RL...
03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Nah Im doing an event in may at AMP with another club, Im not the biggest fan of scca. I plan to do a NASA HPDE in june though. I did have an instructor, nice guy, forgot his name though.

Elbow
03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Nah Im doing an event in may at AMP with another club, Im not the biggest fan of scca. I plan to do a NASA HPDE in june though. I did have an instructor, nice guy, forgot his name though.

The MX-5 guys? What don't you like about the SCCA?

I did NASA HPDE...once. Won't ever do it again. The only thing I'll do with NASA is enduros. In all honesty I would say BMWCCA has the best "DE/School" program available.

RL...
03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah I think it's a mazda event, it's on may 5. Scca I feel babies you too much and you don't get much track time and they don't offer it frequently enough. I plan to do more nasa

Elbow
03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah I think it's a mazda event, it's on may 5. Scca I feel babies you too much and you don't get much track time and they don't offer it frequently enough. I plan to do more nasa

The PDX program is for workers/volunteers to get seat time or for car guys and girls to get out and pay very little for some seat time, there's larger PDX programs around the country, I think there was even a full PDX weekend in the Atlanta Region at AMP last year, but Road Atlanta SCCA weekends are meant for racing and fitting the PDX in on Sunday when you can't race just makes sense. If you want real track days run Chin, MVP, etc. Since there's only what four SCCA weekends at Road Atlanta, you only get four PDXs. lol $100.00 for 40 minutes isn't bad at all, plus the likelihood of some dingbat flying into you at a PDX is FAR less than I've seen with a couple of other clubs.

As for babying, not sure what you mean, they definitely don't want wrecks and the PDX typically sees a lot of BRAND NEW people, so they may gear the meetings more towards them, but if you're running solo there's no babying to be had.

I hope you like NASA. Really though, try one of the hardcore groups if you want real seat time. PDX here is more of a stepping stone or cheap fun.

RL...
03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
The PDX program is for workers/volunteers to get seat time or for car guys and girls to get out and pay very little for some seat time, there's larger PDX programs around the country, I think there was even a full PDX weekend in the Atlanta Region at AMP last year, but Road Atlanta SCCA weekends are meant for racing and fitting the PDX in on Sunday when you can't race just makes sense. If you want real track days run Chin, MVP, etc. Since there's only what four SCCA weekends at Road Atlanta, you only get four PDXs. lol $100.00 for 40 minutes isn't bad at all, plus the likelihood of some dingbat flying into you at a PDX is FAR less than I've seen with a couple of other clubs.

As for babying, not sure what you mean, they definitely don't want wrecks and the PDX typically sees a lot of BRAND NEW people, so they may gear the meetings more towards them, but if you're running solo there's no babying to be had.

I hope you like NASA. Really though, try one of the hardcore groups if you want real seat time. PDX here is more of a stepping stone or cheap fun.

I agree. The SCCA PDX is just a time filler on sundays and is more for beginners, and while I am a beginner I'm at the point where 2 sessions is just a tease and I'm just starting to get warmed up. Nasa events seem much more fun, and have way more people that attend since they do HPDE 1-4 and TT as well. It seems that there are much more experienced people in NASA, and I can probably learn more from them being in that environment and running against faster cars. Also SCCA doesn't seem to offer full day PDX events like how NASA and chin and tracksunlmt and hooked on driving offer. I plan on doing that may event, and possibly 1-2 NASA events and well as the santa run in Dec.

Elbow
03-22-2013, 06:54 AM
I agree. The SCCA PDX is just a time filler on sundays and is more for beginners, and while I am a beginner I'm at the point where 2 sessions is just a tease and I'm just starting to get warmed up. Nasa events seem much more fun, and have way more people that attend since they do HPDE 1-4 and TT as well. It seems that there are much more experienced people in NASA, and I can probably learn more from them being in that environment and running against faster cars. Also SCCA doesn't seem to offer full day PDX events like how NASA and chin and tracksunlmt and hooked on driving offer. I plan on doing that may event, and possibly 1-2 NASA events and well as the santa run in Dec.

That's because SCCA is primarily racing while a NASA weekend has two race groups then HPDE/TT. SCCA does offer full PDX weekends, but not at Road Atlanta. NASA has a good program, but I've just seen too many iffy things, I'll run their enduros (running all three this year) but...

As for experience, in HPDE sure NASA has more experienced drivers as many run a whole HPDE season. Racers...that's debatable. :p

The NASA santa run or the little local santa run thing?

Check out MVP Track Time as well, fantastic group, they're doing RA twice, Chin is there a lot this year, BMWCCA may be back, they offer by far the best instructing/learning program in the track day business. Loads of seat time too.

Papa_Smurf
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
If you are looking for more seat time, you may want to check out Hooked On Driving. In the south east I know they do Roebling Road and AMP, not 100% sure about RA though. There's 3 groups, A,B,C. First time with HOD you are put in A and given an instructor. They guarantee 5 sessions, roughly 25 minutes each. At our event we had an issue where someone had to be taken to the hospital, which ate up 2 hours. Only 1 ambulance at the track, so we had to wait until they god back. Still got in the 5 sessions.

Very well put together track day, they don't try to baby you but the A group they do have a few drivers meetings throughout the day to make sure you understand driving fundamentals and what not. They also put apex and track out cones, which does help if you get up to speed and learn the line if you are new to a track.

I would recommend HOD for sure. Plenty of seat time and it's reasonably priced. Roebling is $265 and AMP is $299. If you have any questions about it feel free to shoot me a PM. If you are going to do an event you can refer me and I'll split the kick back with you (I think total it's like $20 or $40 for referring). I posted videos in the video section from the event too.