PDA

View Full Version : For E36slide - real world Cobra with $5k in mods

David88vert
01-25-2013, 08:10 PM
The owner was in a bad accident years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down... so, all his street cars have hand controls. I'm exempting the cost of the transmission, as he would still be manual if he could drive one.
This Cobra has a Whipple 3.4, STOCK LONG BLOCK (no cams, etc), Coan T400 trans with a steering wheel pushbutton shifter on the right thumb, Kurgan spec'd UCC converter, and is FULL WEIGHT (this car has A/C, all new leather seats, and big stereo).
The best ET was 9.76 @ 140mph.

You're not going to get an Evo 8 into the 9's like this for this cheap.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/KurganMotorsports/Dyno%20stuff/th_998Pass_speedweid.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/KurganMotorsports/Dyno%20stuff/?action=view&current=998Pass_speedweid.mp4)

CSquared
01-25-2013, 10:25 PM
I call bs until I am taken for a ride and literally shit my pants.

1civic
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
I call B/S cause the whipple, trans, and fuel system would be over 5K, then you need suspn, and slicks.. O, I forgot labor/tune!

5800+ just for whipple: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product.asp?itemid=13402&gclid=CL2p74qehbUCFQixnQodEiwA0A

Tranny 2k, and thats a cheap one.. Good one like 5K!! http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductDetail=1569

Fuel Setup another 1700.. http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-03-04-cobra-1000rwhp-return-style-fuel-system.html

That don't include suspension, tuning, or labor!

Please post facts, Thanks!

KyleG
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I do not care the price, that man is dedicated and into it because he loves it. Clearly, price isn't stopping the man. That car is sweet!

Sinfix_15
01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
One major flaw in your post.......

you're implying that e36 lives in the real world

SmackedInATL
01-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Fuel system plus the 3.4 is way more than 5k...As for the suspension...removing front sway bar and a 26 spline, drag pack with 28" slicks, would probably get a 9.9x done on that setup.

David88vert
01-26-2013, 08:04 AM
I call B/S cause the whipple, trans, and fuel system would be over 5K, then you need suspn, and slicks.. O, I forgot labor/tune!

5800+ just for whipple: 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra Whipple 3.4L Crusher Supercharger Kit (Polished) (http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product.asp?itemid=13402&gclid=CL2p74qehbUCFQixnQodEiwA0A)

Tranny 2k, and thats a cheap one.. Good one like 5K!! CoanRacing.Com | COA-21128-5 | "SUPER COMPETITION" W/ BRAKE, HEAVY DUTY 34 ELEMENT SPRAG, 300M ALLOY INPUT SHAFT, STEEL CLUTCH HUB, DEEP ALUMINUM PAN (REVERSED PATTERN, BUICK, OLDS, PONTIAC 4" EXT.) (http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductDetail=1569)

Fuel Setup another 1700.. Lethal Performance 99-04 SN95 4V 1000rwhp Return Style Fuel System (http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-03-04-cobra-1000rwhp-return-style-fuel-system.html)

That don't include suspension, tuning, or labor!

Please post facts, Thanks!

Fact: You can't read - I stated that I was not including tranny price. If the guy wasn't in a wheelchair, he could still be driving a manual.

Fact: E36Slide was never including labor in this build costs, nor any other parts other than engine. Just because you don't know how to install a SC, doesn't mean that others dont't. (sarcasim, in case you don't get it)

Fact: The Whipple 3.4 is $4200 - Whipple 03-04 Cobra W210AX (3.4L) SC "Upgrade" Kit / 22-23psi / Black WK-200110P on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.com/like/280869015499?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar)
You went out and found a "package" that has a bunch of other add-ins, so you could try to jack up the price.

Oh yeah - E36Slide was talking about getting a USED turbo for his Evo 8 setup. Who's to say that a Cobra owner couldn't get a USED 3.4 - even cheaper. Compare apples to apples.
Here's a brand new one that sold for $3100 - http://forums.corral.net/forums/power-adders/1377368-3-4l-whipple-2003-2004-cobra.html
Another ASKING $3500 - http://forums.corral.net/forums/power-adders/1376162-3-4-whipple-gen-2-a.html

What if you wanted a bigger setup? How about $4000, including the tank mounted IC and the $2000 crusher inlet:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/power-adders/1385188-3-4-whipple-crusher-03-04-cobra.html

Lots of options, and cheaper than people realize.

Fact: You can pick up Aeromotive parts off CL or Corral for cheap - just like E36Slide was quoting. I sold a couple of full Aeromotive setup, including pump, lines, tank, etc. for $800 and under. In fact, I've never sold a complete kit for over $800. And I've had several of them. Dayton on here got one full setup from me for his RX7 even. That one didn't have a tank, so he only paid $350 for it. Injectors only are about 200 on Corral all day long. Fuel line can be bought separately. There is no need to buy Lethal's most expensive package.
Here's an example - ASKING $900 for a full fuel system for a Cobra - and not getting it: http://forums.corral.net/forums/fuel-system-related/1391380-03-04-cobra-fuel-system-700-rwhp.html

You just went out and looked for the most expensive packages that you could find to bump up the price. If someone wanted to build it like YOU and E36 would - at home, with a collection of parts - then the price is right in line with what I stated. Of course, you would probably just hand port the Eaton, and make low 10's with that instead, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0I7iOfT0R0

David88vert
01-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Fuel system plus the 3.4 is way more than 5k...As for the suspension...removing front sway bar and a 26 spline, drag pack with 28" slicks, would probably get a 9.9x done on that setup.

Fuel system can be built cheap. I've had several full fuel systems on multiple cars. See above post.

Who doesn't have wheels and tires just sitting around ready to go to the track? I do. Mine would bolt some 26's on a Cobra right now, and I don't own a Cobra.

1civic
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM
FACT is you lied.. YOU FAIL!!

Edit:

If it was only 5k to run 9's in a cobra then everyone would be doing it, your post is misleading, and inaccurate...

SHHHH
01-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Not a Cobra but a GT500. American Racing Longtube headers, 15% OD Pulley, Barton Shifter, FRPP TB, JLT CAI, slicks and skinnies.
Stock suspension, stock supercharger, stock fuel system and well under $5,000 in mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxEUA0W7nQ

David88vert
01-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Edit:

If it was only 5k to run 9's in a cobra then everyone would be doing it, your post is misleading...

I didn't lie. I stated my original post clearly. You're reading comprehension FAILS: "The owner was in a bad accident years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down... so, all his street cars have hand controls. I'm exempting the cost of the transmission, as he would still be manual if he could drive one." Re-read it.

If you had read the original thread, you would have seen that E36 exempted all of the supporting mods in his arguement that an Evo 8 was superior, When he started talking DSM's, he even claimed that he would get his turbo out of a junkyard. You think that the Cobra owner has to buy new?

Go to the track - lots of Cobras in the 9's and 10's. Not many Evo 8s. Makes you wonder why.

I thought that you used to work on Mustangs? You don't know this? Perhaps you need to be checked by a doctor for memory loss.

1civic
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM
I didn't lie. I stated my original post clearly. You're reading comprehension FAILS: "The owner was in a bad accident years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down... so, all his street cars have hand controls. I'm exempting the cost of the transmission, as he would still be manual if he could drive one." Re-read it.

Go to the track - lots of Cobras in the 9's and 10's. Not many Evo 8s. Makes you wonder why.

I thought that you used to work on Mustangs? You don't know this? Perhaps you need to be checked by a doctor for memory loss.

I worked at Modular Power, and labor rate was 125hr... I've done every mod on a mustang that can be done, but every blower setup I've installed was over 5K!!

Could someone source parts cheaper, and do install them-self.. SURE!!

SHHHH
01-26-2013, 09:10 AM
I worked at Modular Power, and labor rate was 125hr... I've done every mod on a mustang that can be done, but every blower setup I've installed was over 5K!!

You worked at MPH with Tim, Jeff and Brandon?

1civic
01-26-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm un-sure why I posted considering I haven't followed the argument you're having with E36.. smh

1civic
01-26-2013, 09:15 AM
You worked at MPH with Tim, Jeff and Brandon?

Yes.. Brandon, and Jeff are good people.. Jeff still had shop, but they where talking about hiring him when I was there..

SHHHH
01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Yes.. Brandon, and Jeff are good people..

Hahaha why'd you leave out Timmy hahaha.
Ya I havent been over to Mo's in a few months but Jeff is tuning my '13. I had them do the 2.8KB swap on my old '03 as well. Good people :goodjob:

1civic
01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Hahaha why'd you leave out Timmy hahaha.
Ya I havent been over to Mo's in a few months but Jeff is tuning my '13. I had them do the 2.8KB swap on my old '03 as well. Good people :goodjob:

Andy was ok, but Tim was a dickhead!! But it was business, away from work we all had good times at track.

1civic
01-26-2013, 09:23 AM
I see Brandon from time to time.. They know my red civic hatch, but I haven't been back there to show the new #'s, I'm sure they would flip. LOL

Vteckidd
01-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Evo would cost well into the $10000 mark to run 9s or 10s.

Cannot be done for cheap

.blank cd
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Edit:

If it was only 5k to run 9's in a cobra then everyone would be doing it, your post is misleading, and inaccurate...

Par for the course it seems.

Bacon
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
People just choose not to recognise the fact that cobras respond very well to simple boltons.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

David88vert
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM

And E36 was talking about self sourced and installed. Keep up.

David88vert
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Par for the course it seems.

You didn't answer in the other thread. You knew that you were busted. You are the half truth king.

1civic
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
People just choose not to recognise the fact that cobras respond very well to simple boltons.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

2v roots style blower, 3v/4v turbo's... They wanna eat!!

And E36 was talking about self sourced and installed. Keep up.

He gives me a headache!!

David88vert
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
2v roots style blower, 3v/4v turbo's... They wanna eat!!

He gives me a headache!!

I fully agree.
Performance costs money.

My only point is to him that it is still cheaper to build a Cobra than an Evo8 to get to the same point in performance.

If you had $5k in cash for mods, and could have either car stock as a starting platform, which could you get more performance out of? (And no, you can't say Honda)

.blank cd
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
You didn't answer in the other thread. You knew that you were busted. You are the half truth king.

I stopped dignifying stupid questions with responses.

David88vert
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I stopped dignifying stupid questions with responses.

You had no answer when presented with facts. That's what you do. Its who you are

.blank cd
01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
You had no answer when presented with facts. That's what you do. Its who you are

Zero facts, just your opinions. Kinda like this thread. It was your opinion that you could make a mustang run 9s for $5k, you got called out on your "facts", and you backpedaled, as usual. Eventually the smarter ones will stop arguing with you and let you wallow in your own ignorance.

1civic
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I fully agree.
Performance costs money.

My only point is to him that it is still cheaper to build a Cobra than an Evo8 to get to the same point in performance.

If you had $5k in cash for mods, and could have either car stock as a starting platform, which could you get more performance out of? (And no, you can't say Honda)

Naw, you're right! I just caught thread, and seen prices, I was like umm no..lol but I understand the point, an Evo would need little more $$ in it to run 9-10's even..

Manny Naber
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
What is going on here? It's ancient news that a v8 can truck down a 1/4 mile for cheaper than any 4cylinder. Whoopteefuckindoo

RandomGuy
01-26-2013, 08:18 PM
curious how a 1st gen AWD dsm stacks up price wise.

Gutted chassis, slicks, afm clutch, stock block + headwork, big turbo, wet kit, dsm link and fuel mods can be done in ~$5k
Probably cutting corners though so you probably can't beat on it as hard or often as the N/A v8

Sinfix_15
01-26-2013, 09:57 PM
curious how a 1st gen AWD dsm stacks up price wise.

Gutted chassis, slicks, afm clutch, stock block + headwork, big turbo, wet kit, dsm link and fuel mods can be done in ~$5k
Probably cutting corners though so you probably can't beat on it as hard or often as the N/A v8

well, for starters.... give us the MSRP of a 1st gen dsm new.

At a glance.... my thoughts would be that a budget eclipse with the power to run 9s is going to break at the 60ft and roll to a stop mid track.

RandomGuy
01-27-2013, 03:33 AM
well, for starters.... give us the MSRP of a 1st gen dsm new.

At a glance.... my thoughts would be that a budget eclipse with the power to run 9s is going to break at the 60ft and roll to a stop mid track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDoGW2MDOeM

stock block / head / full weight / cheap street tires etc 10.8

But I do agree, it'd probably be a little risky launching hard and especially on slicks.

Sinfix_15
01-27-2013, 04:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDoGW2MDOeM

stock block / head / full weight / cheap street tires etc 10.8

But I do agree, it'd probably be a little risky launching hard and especially on slicks.

Also, we're judging mustangs based on consistent repeatable times that we see regularly. With eclipses.... it's like break, break, break, good pass, break, break, break, break, good pass, break, break, break.....

Redo this challenge and say to the mustang owner.... "your car only needs to make one pass".... and see if that doesnt change the time.

David88vert
01-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Zero facts, just your opinions. Kinda like this thread. It was your opinion that you could make a mustang run 9s for $5k, you got called out on your "facts", and you backpedaled, as usual. Eventually the smarter ones will stop arguing with you and let you wallow in your own ignorance.

Links to prices aren't facts?
Seems like you need to go back to elementary school and learn some basic terminology. You obviously have been wasting your tuition money, as you haven't learned even the basics.

I never backpedalled - if you were able to read, comprehend, and remember anything from the other thread, you would know that E36Slide stated that he does his own work, and that he could get parts from junkyards. I trust that he has enough memory to recall that in this thread THAT WAS TITLED FOR HIM.

.blank cd
01-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Links to prices aren't facts?
Seems like you need to go back to elementary school and learn some basic terminology. You obviously have been wasting your tuition money, as you haven't learned even the basics.

I never backpedalled - if you were able to read, comprehend, and remember anything from the other thread, you would know that E36Slide stated that he does his own work, and that he could get parts from junkyards. I trust that he has enough memory to recall that in this thread THAT WAS TITLED FOR HIM.

You said you could build a Stang to run 9s for less than $5000. You then posted a link to a supercharger that was already $4500, it's supporting mods total OVER $5000. For the average person who doesn't install everything themselves, that's WELL OVER $5000.

What's the issue here? Can you not count?

SHHHH
01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
You said you could build a Stang to run 9s for less than $5000. You then posted a link to a supercharger that was already $4500, it's supporting mods total OVER $5000. For the average person who doesn't install everything themselves, that's WELL OVER $5000.

I can understand the issues you guys are having here with needing to add in the supporting mod cost but I believe my video in post 10 clears it up pretty nicely.
Under $5,000 in mods and 9's in the quarter. Not bad for a Mustang.

.blank cd
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
I can understand the issues you guys are having here with needing to add in the supporting mod cost but I believe my video in post 10 clears it up pretty nicely.
Under $5,000 in mods and 9's in the quarter. Not bad for a Mustang.

You're starting with a $60k car

SHHHH
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
You're starting with a $60k car

Fifty four and some change but close enough ya.
I thought we were just talking about Mustangs. Didnt know you guys were talking about a specific year range or MSRP.

Even so, with less than $5,000 in mods you can go from mid 11's into the 9 second bracket. All within the confines of a blue oval pony car.

.blank cd
01-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I thought we were just talking about Mustangs. Didnt know you guys were talking about a specific year range or MSRP.

Even so, with less than $5,000 in mods you can go from mid 11's into the 9 second bracket.

OP posted an earlier model cobra and said it only needed 5k in mods to run 9s, when obviously the car had way more than 5k in mods, without the special transmission.

And I just built a 2013 GT500 with the options I would get for 68k. I could have went to 70.

SHHHH
01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
OP posted an earlier model cobra and said it only needed 5k in mods to run 9s, when obviously the car had way more than 5k in mods, without the special transmission.

And I just built a 2013 GT500 with the options I would get for 68k. I could have went to 70.

Ya I agree with you on that. My 2003 2.8KB Cobra had over $5,000 in performance mods and probably had the traps to get into the 9's. Then you get into the issue of swapping a SRA and suspension mods along with wheels and tires. I find it hard to see an 03/04 Cobra going into the 9's with just $5,000. It'll probably have the power for it but not the correct suspension setup.

As for the 2013. Just because your optioned out car came out to over 68K doesnt mean a 2013 GT500 MSRP isnt 54,xxx. I didnt pay anywhere near 68K for mine.

.blank cd
01-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Ya I agree with you on that. My 2003 2.8KB Cobra had over $5,000 in performance mods and probably had the traps to get into the 9's. Then you get into the issue of swapping a SRA and suspension mods along with wheels and tires. I find it hard to see an 03/04 Cobra going into the 9's with just $5,000. It'll probably have the power for it but not the correct suspension setup.
Precisely. Then you still gotta buy tires

Sinfix_15
01-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Even so, with less than $5,000 in mods you can go from mid 11's into the 9 second bracket. All within the confines of a blue oval pony car.

The debate is bang for the buck. Fastest car per dollar spent. Rules being if you select a used car, you must use it's MSRP new... so you cant say "i got this 89 civic for $500 and spent $39500 on it"

.blank cd
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
The debate is bang for the buck. Fastest car per dollar spent. Rules being if you select a used car, you must use it's MSRP new... so you cant say "i got this 89 civic for $500 and spent $39500 on it"

Why not? Does that give Hondas an advantage?

Sinfix_15
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM

No..... simply because here were are arguing and debating over all the variables involved with only a $5000 window for modification, when you open the debate up to used car prices we're going to look like a monkey fucking a football.

And do you really think starting with the cheapest possible base and leaving more money for mods would benefit the honda crowd????????????
http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.racingjunk.com/ui/2/22/29183222-246-Fox-Body-Mustang-Project-Car.jpg

side note.... just heard the best quote of my life....

"my girlfriend assured me that size doesnt matter, but all of her dildos look like they need a lamp shade on top of them "

Catnip
01-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Why is this conversation so fucking hard for you to grasp?

RandomGuy
01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I thought we were just talking about Mustangs. Didnt know you guys were talking about a specific year range or MSRP
Wow I factored 5k including the car

David88vert
01-28-2013, 11:22 AM

The issue seems to be your brain. E36Slide doesn't take his car to a shop, nor does he source new parts as he clearly discussed that he could get parts even from a junkyard. I'm guessing that you've never installed a supercharger before, but I have installed quite a few, and they really aren't very hard. There are many people that can install them without needing a shop. I posted a link to a 3.4 that sold for $3100, and another that was asking $3500. I also posted a link to a fuel system that someone was asking $900. Obviously, the math tells you that you can get the supercharger and fuel system for around $4k. I didn't think that I needed to explain that to you, but it appears I was wrong, and that you actually do need hand-holding.

David88vert
01-28-2013, 11:26 AM

I got my ProStars and tires for $600. You have to shop for deals.
For suspension, you can find people selling Baseline Suspensions setups pretty cheap also. Good stuff, and priced well when new, and really cheap used.

David88vert
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM

No, this was specifically related to E36Slide, and not all cars. Just Mustangs and Evo 8s.

If you wanted speed for bang for the buck, just buy a bike.

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Then let me hold YOUR hand and escort you back through what you said for a minute. Come with me.
real world cobra for $5k. runs 9s
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/KurganMotorsports/Dyno%20stuff/th_998Pass_speedweid.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/KurganMotorsports/Dyno%20stuff/?action=view&current=998Pass_speedweid.mp4)This car has more than $5k worth of modifications on it. Fact. Simple and plain.

Ive already got such and such tires and such and such fuel system laying around and X supercharger only costs $XAny dumbass can build a 9 second car for $5k if they're STARTING with a $30k 11 second car and $6k worth of parts laying around their garage. If we're using that as a metric, Im pretty sure I could get an Evo 9, or a used Evo X to blow the doors off that Cobra.

OP made a critical logic error. Failure thread is a failure. Nothing more to see here.

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Why is this conversation so fucking hard for you to grasp?

Are you that fucking dense? OP said the original car had $5k of mods. It does not.

Sinfix_15
01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Then let me hold YOUR hand and escort you back through what you said for a minute. Come with me. This car has more than $5k worth of modifications on it. Fact. Simple and plain.

Any dumbass can build a 9 second car for $5k if they're STARTING with a $30k 11 second car and $6k worth of parts laying around their garage. If we're using that as a metric, Im pretty sure I could get an Evo 9, or a used Evo X to blow the doors off that Cobra.

OP made a critical logic error. Failure thread is a failure. Nothing more to see here.

So do you think a stock EVO with $5k worth of mods will out run a stock cobra with $5k worth of mods?

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 12:51 PM
So do you think a stock EVO with $5k worth of mods will out run a stock cobra with $5k worth of mods?

I'm saying if I can start with a 30k car that already breaks 11s, a number of parts I might have laying around in my garage, and an extra 5k bucks (in reality, $7-10k) yes.

Manny Naber
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Take evo or mustang, forge the bottem end, 3 stage 400hp direct port, tires, have fun.

:nx:

David88vert
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Then let me hold YOUR hand and escort you back through what you said for a minute. Come with me. This car has more than $5k worth of modifications on it. Fact. Simple and plain.

Any dumbass can build a 9 second car for $5k if they're STARTING with a $30k 11 second car and $6k worth of parts laying around their garage. If we're using that as a metric, Im pretty sure I could get an Evo 9, or a used Evo X to blow the doors off that Cobra.

You sit there and edit my post, and try to look intelligent, but you fail. you were not part of the original conversation, you don't remember any of it obviously, and now you are just trying to backpedal.
Re-read my post, and tell me again how you can't do basic math.

David88vert
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm saying if I can start with a 30k car that already breaks 11s, a number of parts I might have laying around in my garage, and an extra 5k bucks (in reality, $7-10k) yes.

Whipple 3.4 - 3100
fuel - 900 (and could still negotiate to less)
injectors - 200
wheels/tires - 600
installation/tune - DIY

And as for an SRA - 99-04 are easy to grab locally. I bought one from a guy in Anderson, SC, just a couple of years ago for another project. $250 complete, and you can sell the IRS easily if you wanted to for more (usually about $600). There are plenty of guys running ok on the IRS though.

whatever210
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
E36 hasnt responded! good for him. im proud of him avoiding this thread. the only thing you guys can do is wait untill his build is done then race him. not from a roll, from a dig. where it takes actuall skill to launch a car.

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Here's where I make you look like a fool again. Concentrate. Something you've done less frequently than the bottom of an orange juice box.

THREAD TITLE: real world Cobra with 5k in mods

This Cobra has a Whipple 3.4, STOCK LONG BLOCK (no cams, etc), Coan T400 trans with a steering wheel pushbutton shifter on the right thumb, Kurgan spec'd UCC converter, and is FULL WEIGHT (this car has A/C, all new leather seats, and big stereo).

You're not going to get an Evo 8 into the 9's like this for this cheap. Original failure: the car has more than 5k in mods.

1civic
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I just wanna go fast like you guys.... :(

Sinfix_15
01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I just wanna go fast like you guys.... :(

If you wanted to go fast you wouldnt be in a wrong wheel drive.

David88vert
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Here's where I make you look like a fool again. Concentrate. Something you've done less frequently than the bottom of an orange juice box.

Original failure: the car has more than 5k in mods.

Again, you are not quoting the whole thing. Your attempts just shown once again that you either cannot read, or choose to ignore the obvious.

"The owner was in a bad accident years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down... so, all his street cars have hand controls. I'm exempting the cost of the transmission, as he would still be manual if he could drive one.

You're not going to get an Evo 8 into the 9's like this for this cheap."

What part of "I'm exempting the cost of the transmission" do you not understand?

Manny Naber
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Again, you are not quoting the whole thing. Your attempts just shown once again that you either cannot read, or choose to ignore the obvious.

"The owner was in a bad accident years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down... so, all his street cars have hand controls. I'm exempting the cost of the transmission, as he would still be manual if he could drive one.

You're not going to get an Evo 8 into the 9's like this for this cheap."

What part of "I'm exempting the cost of the transmission" do you not understand?

This is basic drag racing. Twice the cylinders, twice as EASY to make power.

Manny Naber
01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

:rolleyes:

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
What part of "I'm exempting the cost of the transmission" do you not understand?I quoted the whole thing and it got deleted

Why would you exempt a critical modification that allows him to get lower ETs? That's like exempting the tires or exempting the supercharger. It's a modification that gets lower ETs. Simple as that.

He could have had Ford modify the trans so he could drive it, but instead he bought a racing transmission with a trans brake and modified it. Go on Coans website and look at what they offer.

E36slide
01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Y'all guys crack me up.

Turbo platforms always obtain more hp for cheaper. Hence evo being quicker then the 03 cobras plus its awd

Sent from my mind

Catnip
01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Y'all guys crack me up.

Turbo platforms always obtain more hp for cheaper. Hence evo being quicker then the 03 cobras plus its awd

Sent from my mind

What?

Sinfix_15
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Y'all guys crack me up.

Sent from my mind

Delusional.

Catnip
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Motortrend says Cobra is faster, as does real life scenarios. Where did that even come from?

Catnip
01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
03 Cobra 19 psi vs 05 Evo 8 on 21 psi by Sajin1337 - Car Videos on StreetFire (http://www.streetfire.net/video/03-cobra-19-psi-vs-05-evo-8-on-21-psi_707487.htm)

Evo 8 vs Mustang Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSjtFLCMag)

2003 COBRA VS 2004 EVO VIII - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PQf7dh6Lw)

WHO'S YA DADDY MUHFUCKAAAA, WHO'S YA DADDYYYYY?!

David88vert
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I quoted the whole thing and it got deleted

Why would you exempt a critical modification that allows him to get lower ETs? That's like exempting the tires or exempting the supercharger. It's a modification that gets lower ETs. Simple as that.

He could have had Ford modify the trans so he could drive it, but instead he bought a racing transmission with a trans brake and modified it. Go on Coans website and look at what they offer.

It also deleted the "For E36slide" from the title?

If you read the first line, you would know that he cannot use his legs.

TheEaton that comes stock on the Cobra can easily be ported, and with the stock transmission and IRS, they run mid 10s. So are you trying to say that the transmission is why it goes into the 9s, and not the additional horsepower? You think that the Whipple doesnt make the power, or do you think that you need more than 700hp to hit 9s?

When you say "have Ford modify the transmission", it makes me wonder if you have ever done any performance work to a car - ever. You can't just call up Ford and have them make a one-off for you. Your only realistic option is to go aftermarket.

David88vert
01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Y'all guys crack me up.

Sent from my mind

Im guessing that your trolling these guys now. No way that you believe that "always".

1civic
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM

I Want, but I don't need!! ;)

.blank cd
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
It also deleted the "For E36slide" from the title?So, because the thread is for E36, it's ok if the thread is misleading?

TheEaton that comes stock on the Cobra can easily be ported, and with the stock transmission and IRS, they run mid 10s. So are you trying to say that the transmission is why it goes into the 9s, and not the additional horsepower? You think that the Whipple doesnt make the power, or do you think that you need more than 700hp to hit 9s?Having an auto with a trans brake can shave time off your ET, do you not know this?

If you read the first line, you would know that he cannot use his legs...

When you say "have Ford modify the transmission", it makes me wonder if you have ever done any performance work to a car - ever. You can't just call up Ford and have them make a one-off for you. Your only realistic option is to go aftermarket.I worked at Team. Ford has a pretty extensive performance division. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the stock trans could be modded to adapt to the driver.

Catnip
01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Paraplegic not letting that sidetrack dreams [Archive] - CareCure Forums (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-43419.html)

Happens everyday.

whatever210
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
03 Cobra 19 psi vs 05 Evo 8 on 21 psi by Sajin1337 - Car Videos on StreetFire (http://www.streetfire.net/video/03-cobra-19-psi-vs-05-evo-8-on-21-psi_707487.htm)

Evo 8 vs Mustang Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSjtFLCMag)

2003 COBRA VS 2004 EVO VIII - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PQf7dh6Lw)

WHO'S YA DADDY MUHFUCKAAAA, WHO'S YA DADDYYYYY?!

altho lets be fair. the videos you posted are of evo 8. evo 8 has a very small turbo compared to a evo 9. even on 25lbs im sure they are barely 330 to the wheels.

now compared to a evo 9 turbo chances go up

you can see how close they are with that bigger 16g evo 9 turbo

Evo IX vs 03 Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kOqMUDkyA)

and on e85

E85 Evo IX vs Pullied 03 Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdVJ8ckZvs)

and another evo 9

EVO IX vs SVT Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ump0FtqhWus)

now im not saying that one is better than the other but just showing comparison between the 8 and 9.

RandomGuy
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Couldn't find a 1st gen awd dsm for sale, but say you started with this assuming it is in good condition
95 Eclipse GSX AWD TURBO 5 SPEED RARE OBO (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/3516804017.html) = 3500

A 1G awd roller with blown motor would be ideal and ~1k

big turbo and nice manifold/plumbing from dsm forums/craigslist (budget 2k)
fuel pump/injectors/rail/FPR= 700
Wet nitrous kit + refill (~250)
MSD6al/2step, dsmlink, cams + a good E85 tune (~1k)
4 used slicks (100-200)
bottom end build, or used built shortblock (1k)
used act pressure plate/clutch kit ~200-300
clutch exchange in decatur will add more meat onto the 6puck discs for 80 bux

Super gutted/stiffened/lightened chassis =~2k and ~5k in mods, probably would at least get into the 10's, no?

Let's say you found some of this stuff on forums/ebay for even cheaper- or better stuff since I think it's a conservative estimate

Catnip
01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
altho lets be fair. the videos you posted are of evo 8. evo 8 has a very small turbo compared to a evo 9. even on 25lbs im sure they are barely 330 to the wheels.

now compared to a evo 9 turbo chances go up

you can see how close they are with that bigger 16g evo 9 turbo

Evo IX vs 03 Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kOqMUDkyA)

and on e85

E85 Evo IX vs Pullied 03 Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdVJ8ckZvs)

and another evo 9

EVO IX vs SVT Cobra - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ump0FtqhWus)

now im not saying that one is better than the other but just showing comparison between the 8 and 9.

The original arguement was an '03 Evo vs. '03 Cobra

I get your point, and it's very well taken, however, it is not relevant in this thread.

David88vert
01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
So, because the thread is for E36, it's ok if the thread is misleading?

Having an auto with a trans brake can shave time off your ET, do you not know this?

I worked at Team. Ford has a pretty extensive performance division. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the stock trans could be modded to adapt to the driver.

Its not misleading. If you could read and do math, you would know this.
I know much more about auto transmissions and transbrakes than you know - that's painfully obvious.

"I worked at Team" - Maybe you were a porter or car washer, but definitely not as a mechanic or one dealing with performance.
Show me any SVT produced hand control parts availabe for the stock Cobra manual transmission. How exactly are you going to depress the clutch? You don't have any clue about how it works - you just argue to try to find a way to make yourself look intelligent. You fail.

David88vert
01-29-2013, 06:43 AM

I get your point, and it's very well taken, however, it is not relevant in this thread.

Correct. Evo 8 and 03-04 Cobras only.

.blank cd
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Its not misleading. If you could read and do math, you would know this.
I know much more about auto transmissions and transbrakes than you know - that's painfully obvious.I still know more about math than you do. The fact still remains that you can't add. The car has more than $5k in it. Period.

David88vert
01-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I still know more about math than you do. The fact still remains that you can't add. The car has more than $5k in it. Period.

Evidently not. You couldn't add up the figures that I listed for you in an earlier post. I gave you links to actual parts available, yet you still live in denial.

.blank cd
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Evidently not. You couldn't add up the figures that I listed for you in an earlier post. I gave you links to actual parts available, yet you still live in denial.

Using the links you provided, using eBay, Craigslist, whatever, there is more than $5000 worth of parts on that car. Period. End of story. I'm not gonna sit here and argue that 1+2=3 anymore. You're not a child.

whatever210
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM

so are we talking stock for stock, because if not then this is pointless. because once you start modding them then it changes everything.

edit: i see theres a 5k limit. and this thread will never end. its gunna be a never ending pissing contest. to many factors come into play now. 5k i know i can get 500hp out of my car. now will it beat a cobra with 5k mods. who knows untill we race them.

heres a old video. im sure theres more than 5k mods into this evo but its very fast. and many close races. but too many factors involved to have a clear winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZOx4j2jv0&list=FLiBV_TMajYwQ8OiENdPGpWA

David88vert
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Using the links you provided, using eBay, Craigslist, whatever, there is more than $5000 worth of parts on that car. Period. End of story. I'm not gonna sit here and argue that 1+2=3 anymore. You're not a child.

Thanks for proving that you are unable to add.

Whipple 3.4 - 3100
fuel - 900 (and could still negotiate to less)
injectors - 200
wheels/tires - 600
installation/tune - DIY

E36slide
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
This is an opinionated conversation. The factors are to close to call.

Stock evo 8 in 2003 ran a 12.1

Stock cobra ran a 11.9

Meaning this would be a drivers race from the start.

Now which platform is easier to achieve power cheaper and without cracking open the block?

I don't know much about cobras but I don't think you're putting over 600whp on stock internals and same with the evo.

So a 600whp cobra vs a 600whp evo?

Stock suspension vs stock suspension which one would be able to make the best run? I'm still sticking with the evo. If it was able to run a 12.1 with 100 less hp then imagine it with a good suspension setup and 3k-4k dumped into it. Easy low 11's high 10's car.

Again we're all speculating as none of us own a evo or cobra with just 5k in mods and we're no longer in 2003.

I was only arguing that the evo was a better but for 2003. It was 6-8k cheaper and ran close 1/4th times. If I had 40k I'm buying the evo and dumping the rest into the suspension and motor. Hell you would need more then 40k for the cobra just to drop 5k. Evo was around 29-32k, so if its 32k you have 8k left over the. If you handed me 5k and said "go have fun" I now have 13k for modifications. The cobra was around 36k meaning 4k left over plus 5k= 9k overall (hypothetically speaking) for modifications.

Which one was more bang for your buck? Not which one was a better plat form later on to run easy 9's.

Sent from my mind

SHHHH
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
....I don't know much about cobras but I don't think you're putting over 600whp on stock internals and same with the evo....

I had 656rwhp on my 2003 without ever opening the motor and there are people with stock longblocks running even more then that safely.

E36slide
01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
I had 656rwhp on my 2003 without ever opening the motor and there are people with stock longblocks running even more then that safely.

Again people with no car knowledge wouldn't know that. That's a little hard to believe that's safe on a stock "ford" motor.

Either way its still a risk and we all know at the drag strip shit tends to break. Which one would be more reliable at 500-600whp. I believe dsm's have proven themselves in that department. Either way its a close matchup.

Sent from my mind

SHHHH
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Again people with no car knowledge wouldn't know that. That's a little hard to believe that's safe on a stock "ford" motor.

Either way its still a risk and we all know at the drag strip shit tends to break. Which one would be more reliable at 500-600whp. I believe dsm's have proven themselves in that department. Either way its a close matchup.

Sent from my mind

My stock longblock Ford motor is pushing out over 700rwhp and 700ftlbs. The 4.6L '03-'04 motors have way better rods then my current engine as well. I can understand that you may not know about Fords but dont discriminate just because its got a blue oval slapped on the back of it :goodjob:

As for which 550-600rwhp car would be more reliable? The 2003 Cobra hands down. 550-600rwhp 03/04's are a dime a dozen literally. Like I posted my buddies specs on his previous 2004 Cobra. Over 500rwhp and 500ftlbs with a Dremel tool and some exhaust hahaha.

E36slide
01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
My stock longblock Ford motor is pushing out over 700rwhp and 700ftlbs. The 4.6L '03-'04 motors have way better rods then my current engine as well. I can understand that you may not know about Fords but dont discriminate just because its got a blue oval slapped on the back of it :goodjob:

As for which 550-600rwhp car would be more reliable? The 2003 Cobra hands down. 550-600rwhp 03/04's are a dime a dozen literally. Like I posted my buddies specs on his previous 2004 Cobra. Over 500rwhp and 500ftlbs with a Dremel tool and some exhaust hahaha.

Well it's more which is better money for money in 2003 if only given 40k.

Now were all 03-04 cobras running long or short blocks straight out of factory ?

Sent from my mind

E36slide
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/Dmoney240/CE11F6D9-FD2C-4D73-BF76-4BE7C566A933-249-0000001D2F7D72ED.jpg

Now that is more like it...

Sent from my mind

SHHHH
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Well it's more which is better money for money in 2003 if only given 40k.

Now were all 03-04 cobras running long or short blocks straight out of factory ?

Im not really sure what you are asking......but heres some quick google info that may help you out. Short block and long block are just terms used to describe an engine. So by me stating earlier I was running a factory long block; I was saying that I never opened the valve covers, removed heads, swapped out rotating assembly, ect..(My motor was 100% stock besides the different blower sitting on top of it)

Short block is usually a term used when purchasing a block along with the rotating assembly but not including heads and above. Ex. You have a set of heads you want to install but you want a new block and forged rotating assembly, pistons ect..

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/10594490+w750+st0/0811gmhtp_11_z+ls1_lt1_short_block_engine_buyers_g uide+slp_performance_parts_engine_block.jpg

Long block is usually a term used when purchasing a block along with the rotating assembly but including heads, cams, possibly the front pulleys ect.

http://www.281motorsports.com/images/products/ford_racing/FRP-M-6007-A46NA-img.jpg

SHHHH
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Now that you know the difference I think its safe to say they were all running factory long blocks+pulleys, intake, senors,electronics, ect... If I bought a brand new Cobra and it only had a short block under the hood I would be a little pissed :goodjob:

David88vert
01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
This is an opinionated conversation. The factors are to close to call.

Stock evo 8 in 2003 ran a 12.1

Stock cobra ran a 11.9

Meaning this would be a drivers race from the start.

Now which platform is easier to achieve power cheaper and without cracking open the block?

I don't know much about cobras but I don't think you're putting over 600whp on stock internals and same with the evo.

So a 600whp cobra vs a 600whp evo?

Stock suspension vs stock suspension which one would be able to make the best run? I'm still sticking with the evo. If it was able to run a 12.1 with 100 less hp then imagine it with a good suspension setup and 3k-4k dumped into it. Easy low 11's high 10's car.

Again we're all speculating as none of us own a evo or cobra with just 5k in mods and we're no longer in 2003.

I was only arguing that the evo was a better but for 2003. It was 6-8k cheaper and ran close 1/4th times. If I had 40k I'm buying the evo and dumping the rest into the suspension and motor. Hell you would need more then 40k for the cobra just to drop 5k. Evo was around 29-32k, so if its 32k you have 8k left over the. If you handed me 5k and said "go have fun" I now have 13k for modifications. The cobra was around 36k meaning 4k left over plus 5k= 9k overall (hypothetically speaking) for modifications.

Which one was more bang for your buck? Not which one was a better plat form later on to run easy 9's.

Sent from my mind

You can do about 700rwhp on stock Cobra internals.

Now, if it was 2003, and I could buy either, and just drive it stock, then I would easily go with the Evo 8, just for the fun factor.

E36slide
01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Im not really sure what you are asking......but heres some quick google info that may help you out. Short block and long block are just terms used to describe an engine. So by me stating earlier I was running a factory long block; I was saying that I never opened the valve covers, removed heads, swapped out rotating assembly, ect..

Short block is usually a term used when purchasing a block along with the rotating assembly but not including heads and above. Ex. You have a set of heads you want to install but you want a new block and forged rotating assembly, pistons ect..

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/10594490+w750+st0/0811gmhtp_11_z+ls1_lt1_short_block_engine_buyers_g uide+slp_performance_parts_engine_block.jpg

Long block is usually a term used when purchasing a block along with the rotating assembly but including heads, cams, possibly the front pulleys ect.

http://www.281motorsports.com/images/products/ford_racing/FRP-M-6007-A46NA-img.jpg

Yeah I never followed the long/short block terms. I've always bought motors at a whole. I was always curious what people meant by short/long block. Now I know. Seems like something very simple to grasp I've just never cared to google it or ask anyone.

The main question was what car would you buy for under 40k in 2003. Sin fix argued no car for the giving price and with 5k spending money could touch the cobra and I argued the evo could. If it could not it be a very close race.

Of course now days you could build a mustang cheaper to run 9's then a evo but we're not discussing which could run 9's easier.

If you only had 40k which car would you buy and with the remanding money be able to out preform the other.

Cobra 40-36k

Evo- 40-32k

Which is more bang for your buck giving the year is 2003.

Sent from my mind

SHHHH
01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Its all good man, now you know. Crate motors are the ones with all the pulleys, sensors, ect hooked up. You can just unbox it and drop it into your car.

Which is more bang for your buck giving the year is 2003.

I'd still say a 2003 Cobra because of the example I posted earlier with my buddies Cobra. He payed for a CAI and exhaust(combined less than $1,000) and was making over 500rwhp and 500ftlbs because he did the porting himself which you can literally do with a Dremel.

David88vert
01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Back in 2003, no question - Cobra. There were a ton of parts already for it. The Evo 8 did not have as much support in the US, so it cost more to get parts.
Also, back in 03, you could still get used parts for the Cobra, but not the Evo.

E36slide
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Back in 2003, no question - Cobra. There were a ton of parts already for it. The Evo 8 did not have as much support in the US, so it cost more to get parts.
Also, back in 03, you could still get used parts for the Cobra, but not the Evo.

True, but you could still get a gt30 at that time. Larger injectors weren't all that much and a decent exhaust wasn't all that expensive. The only thing that would be hard to obtain would be an exhaust manifold for top mount gt30. Most of the work would be custom fab-Ed.

Like I said its mostly speculation as you don't know who would be buying the cars and what mechanical experience they have or don't have. In the eye of a consumer in 2003 more people would choose the evo just because of the "fun factor" you mentioned earlier. I like a car that serves more then just one purpose. I also believe they had a mr edition that was more of a track evo. One of my friends had one in high school, but idk of the add ons were mostly cosmetic or engine performance based.

Sent from my mind

David88vert
01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
True, but you could still get a gt30 at that time. Larger injectors weren't all that much and a decent exhaust wasn't all that expensive. The only thing that would be hard to obtain would be an exhaust manifold for top mount gt30. Most of the work would be custom fab-Ed.

Like I said its mostly speculation as you don't know who would be buying the cars and what mechanical experience they have or don't have. In the eye of a consumer in 2003 more people would choose the evo just because of the "fun factor" you mentioned earlier. I like a car that serves more then just one purpose. I also believe they had a mr edition that was more of a track evo. One of my friends had one in high school, but idk of the add ons were mostly cosmetic or engine performance based.

Sent from my mind

There weren't many off-brand turbos back then in the aftermarket, and the cheapest ones started off at about $1K. As more companies released more, prices dropped.
Only way to get a manifold was to get a JDM one shipped, or have one made. More people can bolt on parts, than can weld.

Riceboy owned an MR back then - and I am familiar with what it could do.

E36slide
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
There weren't many off-brand turbos back then in the aftermarket, and the cheapest ones started off at about $1K. As more companies released more, prices dropped.
Only way to get a manifold was to get a JDM one shipped, or have one made. More people can bolt on parts, than can weld.

Riceboy owned an MR back then - and I am familiar with what it could do.

What about other accessible dsm parts. They pretty much went off of the same platform that they did with the talon and GSX eclipse

Sent from my mind

Catnip
01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
DSM and Evo 8 parts aren't interchangable.

Don't forget you can always buy a SRA swap for under $500, and I know for a fact the complete Cobra IRS can be sold for $1400 (a good friend of mine just went through this). The 99/01 Cobra IRS is different from the '03/'04 IRS. That's a $900 credit towards this $5k cap. That's enough for drag shocks, gear, and moser axles...

On_Her_Face
01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Just to chime in my opinion I would go with the Cobra. I've had friends make 470-480 whp with way under 5k. Now would it be faster at the track I don't know but I would rather have the Cobra.

Bacon
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
What's a base model Cobra? There were several different models of Cobras during the 03-04 era?

SHHHH
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
What's a base model Cobra? There were several different models of Cobras during the 03-04 era?

No. Someone was just misinformed.