PDA

View Full Version : 2002 WRX Tranny Help

jonathan.lew
01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
I just picked up my Rex this past weekend. She has about 226k miles. Engine runs perfectly. Everything is flawless except the tranny. I was forewarned about the issues, but it's been recently rebuilt. Within 30k miles in fact. The car will be perfectly fine for about the first thirty minutes of driving around, but after that the will vibrate and the gears will grind. Even in neutral you can still hear it grinding. Supposedly whoever rebuilt it used the wrong fluid. So yesterday I picked up some 75W90 gear oil from Advance and changed the fluid. Drove literally all afternoon with no complaints whatsoever. Well on the way to school this morning, it started acting up again.. If anyone has any advice whatsoever, I'd be very appreciative.

Tommy_T
02-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I use a mixture in my transmission. I've got half the miles than you but still the original tranny, never rebuilt. Haven't had any problems yet. Maybe something to try before tearing it apart...

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76

5spdfrk
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Yeh, try Uncle Scotty's cocktail before doing anything drastic. For $40ish is worth a shot.