PDA

View Full Version : Misc Pulled over for racing

keevo54
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Last night on my way home I hopped on 400 south. Went through the toll. Then I got on it in first exiting the toll area. Went through part of first to see if the et streets would hook......they did a little bit :crazy:. Then I shut it down. Half a minute later I was pulled over on the side of the road. Apparently the cop had been sitting by the tolls waiting.....my buddy was going thru the toll and the attendant hopped out when I got on it and said ohhhh hes got somebody lol.

Cop started asking me the definition of racing and the punishments, etc... Said I was racing bc it was an exhibition of speed. Question is......has anyone here been charged with racing themselves and what was the outcome? I got a warning but felt the whole stop was kind of pointless......now I am racing because I got to 50 before the minivan behind me

C230K
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
DaaFuq did i just read

Bacon
01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
All you got was a warning?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

CSquared
01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
All you got was a warning?

Really. This thread is like robbing a bank and complaining that you got away.

E36slide
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
It's called racing against time it's a law in ga and yes they can pull you over and impound your car for it. It's a Hefty fine too.

quickdodge®
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
It's called racing against time

No it's not. It's called:

an exhibition of speed.

E36slide
01-08-2013, 05:54 PM

To each their own. I'm just relaying what I was told by a cop before he impounded my car.

quickdodge®
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Ok.

Hermin
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Lol it's a serious ticket. Automatic suspension of your license without a lawyer.

E36slide
01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Lol it's a serious ticket. Automatic suspension of your license without a lawyer.

Yep lost mine for 6 months and paid out 3800

keevo54
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Yea I know people who have received tickets for exhibition of speed, laying drag, etc..... Just wondering if anyone has received a ticket for racing themselves or if it is possible to get a ticket for that?

quickdodge®
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
if it is possible to get a ticket for that?

Lolol.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/And_c96fc3_234980.jpg

Bacon
01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Got off with a warning.

Asks if its possible to get a ticket for racing.

This thread is too much.

keevo54
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Got off with a warning.

Asks if its possible to get a ticket for racing.

This thread is too much.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge lol...........so can u get a ticket for racing urself?

Bacon
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge lol...........so can u get a ticket for racing urself?

Yes. Its called laying drag and improper start.

Theycall_Metue
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
i call it speeding.....

quickdodge®
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes. Its called laying drag and improper start.

It would be more known as "exhibition of speed." Laying drag would be gotten if that's what you were doing. Some officers will just ticket/arrest you for reckless driving.

Echonova
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Yea I know people who have received tickets for exhibition of speed, laying drag, etc..... Just wondering if anyone has received a ticket for racing themselves or if it is possible to get a ticket for that?It is possible, got three in Tucson, AZ. A "Racing" infraction is different from a speeding ticket, it is a criminal traffic infraction similar to that of a DUI.

Never convicted, and beat the charges everytime. What! What?!

Hermin
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep lost mine for 6 months and paid out 3800

I was 15 when I got mine and only had a learners permit. Had a good lawyer and all I did was 40 hours of community service, defensive driving school and another 1 hour class. NO fines. I got very very very very very lucky.

RL...
01-08-2013, 10:46 PM
You can get a ticket and go to jail for street racing without even breaking any laws. Some cops are just assholes. I got the charge dropped since it was bogus, but I will never get those 40 or so hours I spent in the holding cell back.

But most importantly....

Do you know how awkward it is to take a crap in toilet with no walls or barricades, in front of 20 other guys in the cell with you? Very fucking awkward.

Black R
01-09-2013, 02:41 AM
I was doing highway pulls and got a racing ticket.

I went and fought it in court and got it thrown out.

If it was just a warning, then no issue.

If you got a citation, then post up the code on the ticket.

You can plead nolo every five years if your record is decently clean.

I can help with more info if you really need it.

quickdodge®
01-09-2013, 06:08 AM
You can get a ticket and go to jail for street racing without even breaking any laws. Some cops are just assholes.

What a contradiction. Since street racing is against the law, how can you go to jail for street racing without breaking any laws? And how is that arresting cop an asshole because the dude broke the law?

Black R
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
^^^

Uhh because you can be charged with 'street racing' without actually doing so or breaking any laws whatsoever - cops have a lot of latitude to write whatever they want and when it's your word against theirs, it often takes a lawyer to prove your innocence.

Sammich
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
either you're street racing (breaking the law) or not street racing (not breaking the law) no grey line

RL...
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
What a contradiction. Since street racing is against the law, how can you go to jail for street racing without breaking any laws? And how is that arresting cop an asshole because the dude broke the law?

Surely you know that cops make mistakes, and in my case she made a HUGE mistake. I was 16 sitting at a red light in a stock 99 camry. Person pulls up in a 240 next to me and peels out and takes off. Cop hears HIS tires chirp pulls out and proceeds to pull me over. I never broke speed limit, I never chirped my tires, I never broke a law. I was a minor and got taken to jail for street racing without having broken a law. Which makes her an asshole and a dumbass for inaccurately assessing the situation and assuming I broke a law when I did not. More importantly why didnt she go after the offender which was the 240....but no she pulled me over and took me to jail. This happened a long time ago but I just think it's bs that a cop can take you to jail for a crime you did not commit, then when you get the charges dropped you get no just compensation back for the time and money lost not to mention the embarassment of going to jail.

Sammich
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
damn

quickdodge®
01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
^^^

Uhh because you can be charged with 'street racing' without actually doing so or breaking any laws whatsoever - cops have a lot of latitude to write whatever they want and when it's your word against theirs, it often takes a lawyer to prove your innocence.

It's highly unlikely that will happen. There's pretty much always something done to warrant an officer's attention.

Bacon
01-09-2013, 09:09 PM
It's highly unlikely that will happen. There's pretty much always something done to warrant an officer's attention.

People just dont want to admit fault and always blame the officer.

We see it all the time on here.

ssonsk
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
either you're street racing (breaking the law) or not street racing (not breaking the law) no grey line
When it comes to the law there is always some loop hole

People just dont want to admit fault and always blame the officer.

We see it all the time on here.

lol, but if it were the truth and the person really didn't do anything wrong no one would believe them. That's why I'd hate to get arrested for something I really didn't do. You'd sound just like the scum bag that steals a car and says it wasn't me

Bacon
01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
When it comes to the law there is always some loop hole

lol, but if it were the truth and the person really didn't do anything wrong no one would believe them. That's why I'd hate to get arrested for something I really didn't do. You'd sound just like the scum bag that steals a car and says it wasn't me

Stealing a car isnt worth my state medical license and once you become a victim of car theft, all jokes aside.

05dc5s
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Being that you're a truck driver I'm going to assume you know more about road laws than me but isn't racing in Ga defined as a speed contest against yourself, time, a distance or another individual(s). With exhibitions of speed and acceleration also being other chargeable offenses?

Black R
01-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Oh, we're going with the assumption that all cops are honorable and professional?

L O fucking L

quickdodge®
01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Oh, we're going with the assumption that all cops are honorable and professional?

L O fucking L

Lolol @ deciphering to suit your "point."

Bacon
01-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Being that you're a truck driver I'm going to assume you know more about road laws than me but isn't racing in Ga defined as a speed contest against yourself, time, a distance or another individual(s). With exhibitions of speed and acceleration also being other chargeable offenses?

118Racing on the highways includes "any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record...." §40-6-186(b)

quickdodge®
01-13-2013, 10:23 AM

I really only know more about road laws pertaining to tractor trailers than most anyone on here. Not necessarily all road laws. But Bacon does pretty much surmise it, though, by citing the code itself.

118Racing on the highways includes "any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record...." §40-6-186(b)

Doppelgänger
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I've been pinned with 40-6-186 2 times and have gotten myself out both.

§ 40-6-186. Racing on highways or streets

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(b) No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition of speed, contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (b) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Yes, you can get a ticket under the law if you are the only car around.

§treet_§peed
03-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Technically, you can go to jail for going one mile per hour over the speed limit. The cop or cops can call it reckless driving. I have lost my license three times due to speeding. Two of those times I was doing 10-15ish over and received reckless driving tickets. It's all up to how much of dick or nice guy the cop or cops want to be. They can charge you with the worst ticket, which is reckless driving, for anything as minor as not using your turn signal when you turn.

BanginJimmy
03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Surely you know that cops make mistakes, and in my case she made a HUGE mistake. I was 16 sitting at a red light in a stock 99 camry. Person pulls up in a 240 next to me and peels out and takes off. Cop hears HIS tires chirp pulls out and proceeds to pull me over. I never broke speed limit, I never chirped my tires, I never broke a law. I was a minor and got taken to jail for street racing without having broken a law. Which makes her an asshole and a dumbass for inaccurately assessing the situation and assuming I broke a law when I did not. More importantly why didnt she go after the offender which was the 240....but no she pulled me over and took me to jail. This happened a long time ago but I just think it's bs that a cop can take you to jail for a crime you did not commit, then when you get the charges dropped you get no just compensation back for the time and money lost not to mention the embarassment of going to jail.

This actually happened to me also. BIL spun the tires of his '94 rustang and I got pulled over and a ticket for laying drag. I didnt make too big of a deal about it though cause I could have easily been popped for a whole lot worse, like 80+ in a 45, racing, reckless driving.

Oh, and it makes the cop wrong, not an asshole.

BanginJimmy
03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

I like this one. According to this code, the show Bull Run would have been illegal to film here in GA.