PDA

View Full Version : Understandable description of vehicle condition?

Catnip
12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
"The motor makes a metal on metal noise. It has no power and isn't drivable. The battery is dead, but with jumper cables it should crank because it was running before the battery died. But even if it does crank, it can't be driven."

Does that sound like bullshitting someone about the condition of a vehicle's motor? Keeping in mind it hasn't been torn down for inspection in any way.

Bacon
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Just sounds like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Catnip
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Just sounds like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Explain.

Bacon
12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Explain.

Is that your description of something? Sounds like someone may or may not know what's going on with it and is just trying to get rid of it.....whatever it is.

Catnip
12-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Is that your description of something? Sounds like someone may or may not know what's going on with it and is just trying to get rid of it.....whatever it is.

Yea. I really don't know the issue with the motor, but I made an effort to describe the noise and let a potential buyer know it would need to be trailered. It's at your discretion whether it can be fixed or not. I don't know if it's a bottom end issue, balance shaft issue, etc, because I'm not willing to take it apart. The car is priced as a shell, btw. This guy texted me about 6 weeks ago asking what the deal was, I replied the same then and now, and he went off on a rant about I'm a liar and I'm trying to bullshit him.

If he asked my opinion of the motor, I'd tell him to line up a replacement to be safe... but he just kept asking if it would crank.

I'm just trying to understand why I would be seen as a liar if I have the same answer and disclose the fact it has a motor issue that renders it undrivable.

Bacon
12-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Yea. I really don't know the issue with the motor, but I made an effort to describe the noise and let a potential buyer know it would need to be trailered. It's at your discretion whether it can be fixed or not. I don't know if it's a bottom end issue, balance shaft issue, etc, because I'm not willing to take it apart. The car is priced as a shell, btw. This guy texted me about 6 weeks ago asking what the deal was, I replied the same then and now, and he went off on a rant about I'm a liar and I'm trying to bullshit him.

If he asked my opinion of the motor, I'd tell him to line up a replacement to be safe... but he just kept asking if it would crank.

I'm just trying to understand why I would be seen as a liar if I have the same answer and disclose the fact it has a motor issue that renders it undrivable.

Sounds like someone that doesn't want to deal with a car and wants it gone. Doesn't sound like you are lying about it. What car are you selling? VR4?

nelson9995
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
If it's priced as a shell, I don't think they would care whether the motor sounded like a sketchy deal or not.
Most likely they will take it regardless.

SHAUNvX
12-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Sounds like that guy is a stupid fuck, and doesnt really understand what your trying to tell him.

Doppelgänger
12-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Sounds like interested party is a fucktard. Describing an engine as knocking, or any "metal on metal" sound from an engine, pretty much means that 99.9% chance it is bad and needs to be pulled. Hell, if I were looking at a car and someone said "there is a light ticking coming from the engine and it's not in the head" I'd assume the engine would need work right there.

But in this day and age, people use "slang" terms for shit they think is correct terminology. Bet the dumbass thinks "crank" means "run" just like people who think "rims" are wheels and think wheels are tires.

Vteckidd
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I think that is the accurate description for an engine that is blown/rod knocking. The person selling isnt required to diagnose the car or be a certified mechanic. The interested party should understand that the engine is making non normal noises and be informed about what that could mean
"The motor makes a metal on metal noise. It has no power and isn't drivable. The battery is dead, but with jumper cables it should crank because it was running before the battery died. But even if it does crank, it can't be driven."

Does that sound like bullshitting someone about the condition of a vehicle's motor? Keeping in mind it hasn't been torn down for inspection in any way.