PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods How much boost?

Evo_X_Mark
12-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Wanting to put a T3 on my Civic Si. How much boost can i run safely on my stock Motor? There is nothing done inside the motor. Only intake, and exhaust, and 91 fuel every fill up! I have a set of 450cc Injectors that i plan to run and also a V-AFC.

sonic30101
12-07-2005, 08:52 AM
7 psi ish

1439/2000
12-07-2005, 09:34 AM
You need an Safc II to tune with.
Vafc sets the vtec point.

Guy with skyline powered as your sig, i;m sure you have an rb20, that barely powers a skyline.

Spyder
12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Wanting to put a T3 on my Civic Si. How much boost can i run safely on my stock Motor? There is nothing done inside the motor. Only intake, and exhaust, and 91 fuel every fill up! I have a set of 450cc Injectors that i plan to run and also a V-AFC.
The irony of people buying what you have then wanting to go turbo... you need to now sell the intake and exhaust, then buy a VAFC, turbo manifold,intercooler piping,intercooler,bov, fuel pump, a down pipe, new exhaust, possibly a fpr someone that knows how to install all of it and some dyno time :) then you can run 5-7psi. Being that you have the injectors already that is one out of the like 20 items you need :)

Evo_X_Mark
12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=1439/2000]You need an Safc II to tune with.

The V-AFC II is a Piggyback Fuel Computer with Integrated VTEC Controller.

Evo_X_Mark
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
You need an Safc II to tune with.

The V-AFC II is a Piggyback Fuel Computer with Integrated VTEC Controller

1439/2000
12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I know you can set the vtec point and tune a little bit with it but i didn't think you can do the same with just a vafc.

There are a bunch of honda guys with just safc.

sonic30101
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
hey 1439/2000, what is your problem man, oh also it is an rb25 just to let you know for futur reference. douche bag

99SI
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I know you can set the vtec point and tune a little bit with it but i didn't think you can do the same with just a vafc.

There are a bunch of honda guys with just safc.
VAFC and SAFC do the exact same thing for tuning, however, the VAFC allows you to adjust the Vtec engagement point. As far as tuning of the Air and Fuel, it does the same as an SAFC. If I were going to be running a turbo setup I would definately be changing to obd-1 and running turbo edit on a chipped p28 ecu.

Evo_X_Mark
12-07-2005, 04:39 PM
why what would be the benefit? over just running a VAFC with the Stock ECU? I have a P28 ECU with a conversion harness and all that but i dont ahve a chip to run a turbo or someone to make one for me....

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-07-2005, 10:40 PM
You can pass emissions with the VAFC, 450cc's and no FMU,FPR, or missing link is needed. Just do the hack and you can run around 10 psi daily. Timing may be a little advanced, so just retard the timing by around 2 degrees. Finer tuning can be done with a better type of fuel management like uberdata or hondata. Normally you would be able to pull a little bit more power from a chipped ecu. SAFC/VAFC either one would do the trick, whatever you can get a hand on.

Evo_X_Mark
12-07-2005, 11:50 PM
You can pass emissions with the VAFC, 450cc's and no FMU,FPR, or missing link is needed. Just do the hack and you can run around 10 psi daily.

Hack ho do i do that...?

Evo_X_Mark
12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
* How do I do that?

99SI
12-08-2005, 12:19 PM
* How do I do that?
There are many resources to tell you how to socket the ECU for a chip. You can pass an emissions test by keeping your factory ecu and injectors. When you go to do the emissions test swap out the ecu and injectors and drive slowly and do not boost, you should pass emissions since no codes will be thrown. When you get done with hte emissions test hook back up your p28 and injectors and you're ready to boost. With turboedit,(similar to uberdata only specified for turbo use) you can do a much better and finer tune. It will also allow you to boost more if you decide to go w/ forged internals or other mod's. Go to Hondatech and do a search for socketing an obd1 ecu. I see that your location says Arizona. There should be some reputable shops in the nearby area that will be able to do the socketing and chip and tune for you. You need to get on a dyno to tune. If you don't know what you are doing and you start playing with fuel tables on a VAFC or any other tuning device based solely on seat of the pants "feelings" then you are asking for disaster. Good luck.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Get some injectors like 450cc dsms for instance, the popular injectors everyone goes with. Hook up a vafc exactly how your manual tells you to. Put your map sensor in stock with no missing link. Program the vafc to (06 06) 4 cyl etc and when you go to correct the fuel in hi and low throttle, use this formula... 1-(stock injector size/450cc) 450 are dsm's size injectors... For example 1-(290/450) = .35 so make it -35 all across the board and you have yourself a decent base map to run on until tuning. Hit me up on aim if ya need more answers...I have some pictures I could show you for a step by step solution.

Evo_X_Mark
12-08-2005, 11:34 PM
I ahve a chiped P28 just no chip... Is it goning to be ALOT better to run the P28 over the stock ECU? I dont want to have to do all that work to pass emmissions.

99SI
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
^^^Then don't turbo your car.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-09-2005, 01:30 PM
It doesn't take but 10 minutes to switch from obd2 to obd1 or obd1 to obd2. I use uberdata on a daily and the hack to pass emissions.

mocha latte cupcake
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
once again the Single cam beast hands out knowledge to the double cam kids.... lol

accrdpusha
12-10-2005, 01:25 AM
From my knowledge, i think if you use dsm injectors, you are gonna need a resistor box from an accord. VAFC Hack=kaboom in my opinion as a way to tune the car. I suggest chipping and a good dyno tune. If you wanna bitch about tuning, than do the hack but also have enough money saved up to buy a new motor. BTW, i ve seen stock B16/18 hold 10 psi with a chipped ecu run fine so you dont have to limit yourself to 7 psi.

Evo_X_Mark
12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
ok so i dont understand once i have the chip made isnt that all the tuning that i can do??? the chip is what runs the car so if it needs more fuel, dont i have to have a new chip made???? Can you still fine tune once you ahve a chip made?

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I've ran on the hack for 2 years with no problems. I guess luck just stays on my side. Like I said, you can run the hack, just go get tuned and retard the timing by 2 degrees I believe and it should be fine. You can run dsm injectors with a resistor box for the bling bling look or just get 10 ohm 10 watt resistors from radio shack and run them inline. When a chip gets burnt for you, its just for a base map which gets your car running from point a to point b. Now when u get tuned it'll be fine tuned to get the highest potential from the motor.

Evo_X_Mark
12-11-2005, 09:59 PM
OK So i have a P28 ECU that is chiped just no turbo chip. How does the tuner fine tune it, once i get a bace map chip? Otherwise will the VAFC work ok? Do the two do the same thing, I have the Chipped ECU so will that be the better way to go? I am trying to decide what i want to do the Chip or a VAFC.

scttydb411
12-11-2005, 10:46 PM
ditch the vafc and run the chipped computer (tuned of course). the tune is changed after each run modifying fuel and/or timing parameters. other things are done such as setting the proper spot for vtec to extract the most power throughout the rev range.

there are more things done, but this is just the cliff notes version.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
yeah, I'd rather run a chipped ecu.

D16Civic
12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
To tune, your ecu needs to have uberdata on it unless you want to spend a lot of money and go hondata which i would say isnt worth it for you. Then someone will tune it w/ the uberdata software on their computer and upload it to your ecu after each run on the dyno.

Evo_X_Mark
12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
What Size FMU will i need for the Chipped P28? 8:1 , 10:1 , or 12:1 ?

Evo_X_Mark
12-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Do i need to upgrade the Fuel Rail if i get a bigger FPR, FMU ??

Vteckidd
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Heres the short story. You want to turbo a civic si on a stock motor. ok well:

Use your Chipped P28 to run Uberdata. if you are in Arizona, contact IMPORT POWER HOUSE. I used to go there when i lived in Arizona.

Use the 450cc injectors. remember to wire in a resistor box.

With Uberdata and the injectors YOU DO NOT NEED AN FMU, or a fuel rail.

Run 10psi TUNED safely and should make around 200-230whp depending on the condition of your engine.

I would upgrade to a custom 3 in exhaust.

Evo_X_Mark
12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
With Uberdata and the injectors YOU DO NOT NEED AN FMU, or a fuel rail.

What do i need to run with a chiped P28? Missing link, FMU, FPR...? I know the 450cc injectors i have those and a resistor box.

Vteckidd
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
THAT IS IT, NOTHING ELSE. as long as the ECU has Uberdata and a basemap loaded on it you are good to go

Evo_X_Mark
12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
i wont need a missing link??

Evo_X_Mark
12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
no other fuel managment things are needed other then a Fuel Pump? that is it? then why doesent everyone run a P28...? a chiped P28 runs like 160 on ebay (just as much as a VAFC)...?

Vteckidd
12-13-2005, 04:37 PM
cause they dont know.

accrdpusha
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
First of all, listen to vteckid, second, get an upgraded fuel pump, third get upgraded injectors (if you use the ones from a dsm than you gotta use a resistor box), fourth get a chipped/tunned ecu (when they are tunning the ecu, the re-burn it every time after they make changes), fifth i recomend using a missing link. You need a chipped ecu if you are going to use bigger injectors because your stock ecu is only programmed to tell the injectors to put out so much.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
12-13-2005, 11:49 PM
You don't need a missing link.

Evo_X_Mark
12-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Why would/wouldnt i need a missing link?

Vteckidd
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Why would/wouldnt i need a missing link?
THe missing link keeps the ECU from seeing boost. the way a missing link works is that it bleeds off the map voltage.

A honda FACTORY ECU cant see boost, or over a certain amount of voltage on the map sensor. there are not tables on a factory ECU for boost, so if it sees boost itll throw a Map sensor code.

WIth uberdata you dont have to worry about any of that. Uberdata changes the tables on the ecu to accept boost, and keeps the map sensor from recognizing a boost signal.

once again:
GET UBERDATA, GET 450cc INJECTORS, sell everything else. thats all you need to run a boosted car. even tha VAFC is worthless once you have uberdata

scttydb411
12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
what mike is saying^^^

if you use the missing link w/ socketed/chipped/uberdata ecu (or any ecu for that matter that has boost tables) you will never reach the boost tables and will only operate at 0hg...not enough fuel for boost=BOOM!!

uber extends/changes the resolution of the fuel/timing tables and allows it to recognize boost based on the voltage comming from the map sensor.

uber ecu, larger inj, poss upgraded fuelpump (not 100% nec), tuned...done.

BTEC
12-15-2005, 11:30 AM
yeah, what mike and scotty said. Just get it done and ull see. GAWD!!
I got the same stuff done to my car. U can run up to 10psi of boost with ur stock map sensor IF and only IF u have a chipped ecu. If u try to boost ur car on a stock ecu as soon as ur ecu sees boost its gonna freak out and start popping and ur power will hit ricok bottom. U can try it if u want but u risk ruining ur map sensor.

1/4Mile
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
WIth uberdata you dont have to worry about any of that. Uberdata changes the tables on the ecu to accept boost, and keeps the map sensor from recognizing a boost signal.

once again:
GET UBERDATA, GET 450cc INJECTORS, sell everything else. thats all you need to run a boosted car. even tha VAFC is worthless once you have uberdata[/QUOTE]

I don't know why this is so hard to get:dunno: I think he may have a case of Noobitis. Symtoms include but are not limited to: Asking question that when answered correctly Victims usally repeat the question in various forms, Unusally paranoid concern about put anything on their cars, and even the questioning of Respected Tuners like Mainstream Performance.

Evo_X_Mark
12-21-2005, 11:41 PM
OK so the ONLY shop here in town that can tune my car says that they use Neptune. So if i get the vecco turbo kit ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8024206553 ) that elce will i need to make this work? I got the injectors, resistor box, and the Fuel pump. Is there anything elce, now that i have to use NepTune? They said they will do everhting to my ECU and tune for $600... I dont know i dont see too many people running NepTune.