PDA

View Full Version : D16Y8 wiring swap NIGHTMARE ECU issues!! AGHHHH!

mberzse1
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Ok... I'm about to start a build thread for this nightmare of a car... just to document the ridiculousness I've had to deal with from buying what has turned out to be a hunk of crap from a member on here i will restrain myself from warning anyone to do business with... but any who...

Meet Ginny LaFhonda
(how i bought her... she's getting overhauled as we speak)
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242383&stc=1&d=1354753253
(Ive named as such b/c she is a ginger (painted red from the factory) trying to be ghetto (rattle canned flat black by shitty previous owner))

Ginny's stats
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatch.
D16Y8 swap (done by aforementioned shitty previous owner) and it is a janky ass swap job
intake
ebay headers
Apexi N1 catback exhaust (ghetto installation by shitty previous owner)
ebay coilovers
blown shocks

Ok i bought this car back in august... and am STILL trying to get a tag for it... It WILL.. NOT... PASS... EMISSIONS. I was in a tight spot and needed to buy a reliable car for cheap like in 2 days.... I was told it would pass by the seller and he lied... I was blown away... Its my fault for trusting someone just because i thought this community was tight nit and good folks... and i unfortunately have a much more tolerant trust level for most human beings in general... I like to be optimistic... So guy is all "i know what its worth man" "trust me its a good car". bunch of crap, but oh well I'm giving the car a good home and treating like it deserves to be treated...
but basically having to restore the whole damn car.

apologies for my digression but I'm frustrated here... so any help would be sooo awesome!

GINNY NEEDS ELECTRICAL HELP!
Heres the issue.... i keep getting CEL thrown (code 43) and (code12) which i know are "fuel delivery system" and "EGR" .... confusing part is that there is no EGR in my car... my mechanic (mildly knowledgable about honda wiring) says that its actually reading the code for the vtec solenoid but the vtec is hard wired into the ecu where the egr would normally go... So I'm confused as hell. And have had so many issues with this damn car that I'm about ready to just rewire the whole engine bay and redo the harness... but anyways... I'm not sure if i remember correctly but i think my ecu is a p28... but I'm not certain... i can check again in the morning when i get it back from getting the clutch master and slave cylinder replaced... but i really want to get this car sorted out... so if anyone here is knowledgable about swap wiring and knows the best way for me to go about giving this car a proper wiring job. Im thinking i need to either get a new ecu or have a re-wiring jam sesh here soon....

She runs great... I'm good with mechanical things... I've swapped the clutch... adjusted the valves... removed and cleaned the intake manifold and throttle body and IACV... welded in a REAL catalytic converter (had a fake one installed) and properly hung the exhaust (it was upside down...hangars scraping hung up with clothes hangars and ish) but these little nitpicky electrical things are a whole other beast for me... i can do it but i need to know exactly what i need to do first... Im planning on re doing the engine bay harness (making my own Rywire-esque harness) so the connections aren't stupid twisted wires with electrical tape. but like i said... id like any advice/ direction b4 i start ordering stuff.
like do i have the proper ECU- motor pairing?
how should i properly wire the VTEC?

Ive done plenty of internet research on the subject and through endless thread surfing I've decided to just start posting because it so hard to find specific help for my issues. and i can post pics/ info of anything you'd need to see to help! thanks!

BenjaminJunu
12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
The engine is originally obd2. you can convert the car to obd2 or you can convert the engine to obd1.
If the ecu is a p28 than it is already converted to obd1.
there are a three ways you can make it work. Find a wire pin out and wire it yourself. Many people do this but i'm not a fan. If you're going to do this, please do it the right way.
what you can do. find an obd2 wireharness that goes with the engine. you are going to have to change the ecu, or you could get a jumper harness. another thing to look at when doing this is will the wireharness plug up to the car's harness that goes to the dash. since it is a 92-95 i doubt it will plug up.

The other way. This is much easier and practical. Find a 92-95 vtec harness. plug it up and go. that simple.
Youre going to have to use obd1 dizzy, injectors and alternator. Or you can just change the clips so they can plug up.
the obd2 engine has sensors that an obd1 car does not need.

Save yourself the trouble and time and just buy an OEM obd1 vtec harness wire it up and go.

Wiring yourself can be a nightmare if you haven't done it before. just depends on what YOU want to do.

You might have to change your o2 sensor or FPR to fix code 43.
best of luck and i hope this helps.

B18c1Turboed
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
You the dumb ass for paying for it. No one forced you to but it hahaha

mberzse1
12-06-2012, 03:06 AM
If you couldn't tell...
34yr old from Duluth ladies and gents....

You the dumb ass for paying for it. No one forced you to but it hahaha

"you're" is the contraction I believe you were searching for on that one.... Oh and....well thought out contribution and overall a pleasant sentence to read .... Thank you. Like I said "my fault" for buying a lemon... But I'm trying to right some past wrongs buddy... I was 16 and stupid once... Bought my first civic and ragged it out... So now being older and more responsible with things I own... Im attempting to "un-rag" a civic that was owned by some retarded 16 year old of equivalence. I'm just trying to share an experience of modern life and it's frustrations with a like minded group. One thats interested in sharing back advice and their own personal experiences in the awesome and often fickle automotive world....

Benjamin... Thanks man... Any resources you know of to find a good harness? Im obviously trying to save some money but I'm def not trying to be cheap about it.... Like I said... I'm trying to restore the car and treat it right... But most of the connections from the bay harness to the clips are spliced anyway... So I'm ideally looking to jazz up the current harness (if I can re run the vtec to the right place) and re do the connections with crimps and heat shrink. If that seems to be too much then I'll go with getting the vtec harness... But any links or whatnot would be appreciated! ... That or more "dumbass" comments are cool too ;)

BenjaminJunu
12-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Go to any junkyard. they are like twenty bucks+- . or go to honda parts connection off of buford highway and peachtree industrial (i think).
It's somewhere off by the mall of GA. idk don't live in GA anymore.
check in the for sale section here. they are pretty easy to find and they are not expensive either.
I think all of the 92-95 harnesses will work. correct me if i'm wrong.
Don't waste your time trying to fix someone elses wiring.

b20vtecrr
12-06-2012, 05:49 PM
buddy ive been on BOTH sides of your deal here......no shit i literally just traded my nissan truck for this coupe i currently have LAST FRIDAY NIGHT so its been a week now....its a 94 coupe dx with a d15b7 and the majority of the wiring harness is hacked to fuck and back like ray charles worked on it.....i got an o2 sensor thats halfass depinned and repinned the dam thing quit running on me bc it was throwing a code 43 for fuel supply so i traced the wires to from the fuel pump to under the dash and for some fd up reason the yellow and green wire was cut and someone had wired an audio cable to it and ghetto plugged it to the ecu theres all sorts of fuckcut wires in the bay that are masking taped....the car runs amazing but its gonna be hell as soon as i get 400 im buying a rywire harness for it .....ive also sold a car to a guy on here and it had a few mishaps with it some were my fault and some were the way they were when i bought the car...it had a b20vtec swap which i had 2500 in i paid 7k for the car and traded it straight up for an ls swapped eg hatch...so i feel your pain to a T broham good luck with the car...as far as that 43 code goes trace those fuel pump wires from the fuel pump up......mine was a naked wire...hooked it back up and its running great.....

mberzse1
12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
i traced the wires to from the fuel pump to under the dash and for some fd up reason the yellow and green wire was cut and someone had wired an audio cable to it and ghetto plugged it to the ecu theres all sorts of fuckcut wires in the bay that are masking taped....the car runs amazing but its gonna be hell as soon as i get 400 im buying a rywire harness for it

Thanks man! Yeah that def sounds like something that would be going on. Oh and rywire makes a harness for sohc civics?

mberzse1
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Go to any junkyard. they are like twenty bucks+- . or go to honda parts connection off of buford highway and peachtree industrial (i think).
It's somewhere off by the mall of GA. idk don't live in GA anymore.
check in the for sale section here. they are pretty easy to find and they are not expensive either.
I think all of the 92-95 harnesses will work. correct me if i'm wrong.
Don't waste your time trying to fix someone elses wiring.

Much appreciated my man. Good advice for sure!