PDA

View Full Version : Jobs?

Hermin
12-05-2012, 01:13 AM
I was gonna post in the other section for jobs but seems really dead lol.

I'm looking for a job, however I've never worked anywhere. I have worked on many, many cars in my lifetime and somewhat know my way around cars lol. Where is a good place to start that will hire someone so young with no experience? I do have a HS diploma. (Graduated HS in 2 years with a 3.2 GPA) I was thinking Discount tire, Goodyear, Tiresplus, NTB, etc.. Any other recommendations?

-EnVus-
12-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Walmart TLE is a great start and easy as fuk

Hermin
12-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Walmart TLE is a great start and easy as fuk

under 18 homie! hence the graduating hs in 2 years lol. I might as well just wait til I'm 18.

-EnVus-
12-05-2012, 01:46 AM
under 18 homie! hence the graduating hs in 2 years lol. I might as well just wait til I'm 18.
Dam you that young shesh

Julio
12-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Under 18. Probably fast food.

RandomGuy
12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
retail sales... Also helps you later on

Sammich
12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
you better get your ass into somebody's college

Catnip
12-05-2012, 07:20 AM
I've heard discount tire sucks Dick. Try to go to a shop, body or mechanical, and try to get a job cleaning up. Try to help the techs in your spare time and learn what you can. May land a job as an entry level tech.

Doppelgänger
12-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Well that shows where your priorities are. If HS was that much of a breeze for ya, you'd be riding scholarships to college like Bri rides dicks for kids, and you wouldn't be concerned with getting a low-level/minimum pay shit job being a tire and oil bitch. You know where I am going with this, I need not say more.

Sammich
12-05-2012, 08:04 AM
and i just realized that this wasnt a newb and this was nermin...smfh...take your ass into college, just like dopple said, if you got through college that quick and w/ that GPA you have scholarships available/thrown at you. i didnt even know my GPA when i grad (judge me) but there was the HOPE scholarship where you had to have a 3.0 or better to get adn i got it and didnt even know. you seriously need to get an education, at worst at a local technical college

Wal-Mart
12-05-2012, 08:13 AM
One job you can get and be good at is ending yourself.

Juggernaut
12-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Fuck. You beat me to it Wal-Mart. Well played.

Wal-Mart
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Fuck. You beat me to it Wal-Mart. Well played.

http://lefteyeonthemedia.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/taking-a-bow.jpg

Skorcher
12-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Tow truck driver.

Juggernaut
12-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Tow truck driver.LOL

Sammich
12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Tow truck driver.

lulz

CSquared
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I've worked at Kaufman, discount tire and NTB. Kaufman and discount worked me like a dog and I hated every minute of working at both of those places. You were never fast enough. NTB is generally ran like shit and the sales folks are so worried about selling other services that you don't have to worry about some dick cracking the whip behind you all day.

That being said... when it comes time to get my car worked on.... fuck NTB. I go to discount.

Echonova
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Fuck Discount, I do it in my garage.

Vteckidd
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I do have a HS diploma. (Graduated HS in 2 years with a 3.2 GPA)

Youre not even 16 yet? how are you fucking driving?

If you are truly done with HS, which i doubt you are, you should be enrolling in a college ASAP. You could be graduated by the time most people are sophomores.

I have a hard time you crammed 4 years of time into 2 considering how stupid you are in other aspects of your life.

Doppelgänger
12-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Book smarts =\= common sense.

Sammich
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
what dopple stated

Vteckidd
12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Book smarts =\= common sense.

True, but at the rate he totals cars out and gets arrested im doubting he has the intelligence to cram 4 years of studying and schooling into 2 years. That would mean sacrificing stancing his ride and hanging out in parking lots.

CSquared
12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Fuck Discount, I do it in my garage.

You mount and balance tires in your garage?

Julio
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, he is only 16.. Meaning he is probably looking for a PT job( all he can get legally).and he can still go to college while working PT.. I can relate to him at that age.. Im a college drop out.. After 2 years, I dropped out..there was nothing in school I wanted to do.. Only had 2 jobs in my life.. Of course owning IA dont count..lol.. I've been in retail since I was 16.. I never thought Back then that retail was going to be my thing.. Yup.

Sammich
12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
i hate retail/customer service type jobs...

Julio
12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
i hate retail/customer service type jobs...

Peace of cake.. I enjoy it.

Echonova
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
You mount and balance tires in your garage?I have mounted many things in my garage... Not one of them were ever what you could call "balanced" though. :(

VQ35 Star
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
hahah

Skorcher
12-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I have mounted many things in my garage...

I can fap to this.

Hermin
12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Youre not even 16 yet? how are you fucking driving?

If you are truly done with HS, which i doubt you are, you should be enrolling in a college ASAP. You could be graduated by the time most people are sophomores.

I have a hard time you crammed 4 years of time into 2 considering how stupid you are in other aspects of your life.

lol i'm 16. how? I did alot of work and studied my ass off. I hate school. I just finished ALL my classes a few weeks ago. I'm not looking to get into college until atleast august of next year.

lol @ most of the guys in here. I just asked a question, not a story on how stupid i am hahah

Doppelgänger
12-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Some of us speak from experience, that's why. You'd be surprised by how much motivation and habit you can lose in a year.

Hermin
12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Some of us speak from experience, that's why. You'd be surprised by how much motivation and habit you can lose in a year.

Honestly, that is why I'm not looking into starting college right away. I've always hated school and everything in it, but if thats the only way I'll get anywhere.. I'll go to school. Just trying out different things. If I could find a job, why not build up some experience/skills?

RL...
12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Honestly, that is why I'm not looking into starting college right away. I've always hated school and everything in it, but if thats the only way I'll get anywhere.. I'll go to school. Just trying out different things. If I could find a job, why not build up some experience/skills?

You can't get any type of decent job until you're 18. Choices are basically wendy's or kroger. lol

Franco Tirador
12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
i dont see how people could hate school, im a huge believer in the saying "knowledge is power" because it really is, i can never learn enough, you have to get around smart people to see the benefits of increasing your book knowledge, you will become a better person, and your parent got money too, you set!!, if my parents had money i would bust my butt off in school, graduate and get a career and just pay people to work on your cars, or just get your degree and then start working at a shop if you want, you will already have gained a wealth of knowledge. Nothing will exercise your brain more taking tough courses in school, TRUST ME, you want that.

but to give a suggestion: i would start at wal mart, and start networking from there.

or...............................................

open Nermins' Used Imports

Hermin
12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
You can't get any type of decent job until you're 18. Choices are basically wendy's or kroger. lol

My neighbor is a manager at Tiresplus. I spoke to him earlier and I've got an interview in the morning. We'll see how it goes!

Hermin
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM

My neighbor is a manager at Tiresplus. I spoke to him earlier and I've got an interview in the morning. We'll see how it goes!

Doppelgänger
12-06-2012, 08:15 AM

And this is where your immaturity shows. Hate school? Well then hate it so much that you get it all out of the way and never have to go back. With that mentality, you'll find yourself putting it off later. Like RL said, anything you get now won't teach you jack shit but how to be a entry-level puppet. You won't really learn anything you can't already to in your driveway. Furthermore, pretty much all of those entry-level jobs won't get you far. I speak from experience too. Get your school out of the way before the real world catches you.

l Gizzy l
12-06-2012, 08:26 AM
I thought you dropped out of HS after 2 years?

Or am I making that up? :dunno:

and roflcopter at tow truck driver xD

CSquared
12-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but a better option is doing internships. You may only get minimum wage, but they look AWESOME on an entry level resume. Especially doing them from a young age.

On_Her_Face
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but a better option is doing internships. You may only get minimum wage, but they look AWESOME on an entry level resume. Especially doing them from a young age.

Hell a lot of internships are unpaid now. I got lucky with a paid internship two years ago... definitely helped me secure a job.

Sammich
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
his parents paying for his shit right now anyway, doesnt matter if it's paid

carguy07
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
There is an attendance requirement when it comes to graduating from a traditional high school. How did you get around that? And generally people who graduate early have 4.0+ GPA's, so you are in a very rare case.

Find an internship (probably unpaid) and kiss up to someone that could be your boss later in life. The most valuable thing you can do right now is network.

green91
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm going to impart some old-man wisdom on you, even though your generation doesn't listen to anyone for shit.

Find another line of work. Working on cars for a living is a shit job. Take it from someone who topped out in the field at a young age. I am a Toyota T-Ten graduate, I was an ASE Master by 21, and got Toyota Master a few years after that.

First off, its all comission. Sometimes flat-rate system works good. Flat-rate means a job pays a certain amount of hours. If you finish it in less, you get ahead pretty quick. For example, if a brake job pays 2 hrs and you complete it in an hour, you're way ahead. Do this all week and you can pull 60+ paid hours in 40 hours actual time pretty easy.

The catch is.. the better you get at it -- yes you make a high hourly rate, but you get much worse jobs. I spent all my time doing Electrical and NVH diagnostics. With that kind of work, you break even. Its not possible to do 2 hrs paid diagnostic in 1 hr. Guys with less ability/experience would easily make more hours than me because they got to do simple maintenance jobs and stuff all day. Did I make more money overall than them? Sure, but it wasn't a big enough difference to justify all the headache I always dealt with.

The other thing is its VERY hard on your body, even when you're young. Constantly standing, getting cut, burned, laying in wierd positions under dash and being hunched over a grill all day takes its toll on anyone. Trust me, you do NOT want to be doing this into your older years.

I got out of the automotive service field a little over 5 yrs ago. By far the best decision I've made in my life.

Hermin
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
There is an attendance requirement when it comes to graduating from a traditional high school. How did you get around that? And generally people who graduate early have 4.0+ GPA's, so you are in a very rare case.

Find an internship (probably unpaid) and kiss up to someone that could be your boss later in life. The most valuable thing you can do right now is network.

I did graduate from a high school lol. An academy, high school diploma. 2 years. I'm just gonna stick to doing what I do best.. flipping shit lol

Hermin
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm going to impart some old-man wisdom on you, even though your generation doesn't listen to anyone for shit.

Find another line of work. Working on cars for a living is a shit job. Take it from someone who topped out in the field at a young age. I am a Toyota T-Ten graduate, I was an ASE Master by 21, and got Toyota Master a few years after that.

First off, its all comission. Sometimes flat-rate system works good. Flat-rate means a job pays a certain amount of hours. If you finish it in less, you get ahead pretty quick. For example, if a brake job pays 2 hrs and you complete it in an hour, you're way ahead. Do this all week and you can pull 60+ paid hours in 40 hours actual time pretty easy.

The catch is.. the better you get at it -- yes you make a high hourly rate, but you get much worse jobs. I spent all my time doing Electrical and NVH diagnostics. With that kind of work, you break even. Its not possible to do 2 hrs paid diagnostic in 1 hr. Guys with less ability/experience would easily make more hours than me because they got to do simple maintenance jobs and stuff all day. Did I make more money overall than them? Sure, but it wasn't a big enough difference to justify all the headache I always dealt with.

The other thing is its VERY hard on your body, even when you're young. Constantly standing, getting cut, burned, laying in wierd positions under dash and being hunched over a grill all day takes its toll on anyone. Trust me, you do NOT want to be doing this into your older years.

I got out of the automotive service field a little over 5 yrs ago. By far the best decision I've made in my life.

Best reply in the thread. Thumbs up!

Wal-Mart
12-07-2012, 07:18 AM

I second this as well. After working at a couple of dealerships doing the crap work (no ASE or automotive classes), I saw how the system worked, how people were treated and the shop politics and decided to not get into that field. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, have done tones of work on my own car (most everything short of ele. diagnostics and machine work) and do enjoy it...but I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it for a living. About the only place I can think of that would be "nice" to work at is a very successful small shop that specializes in aftermarket work. Places like Balanced Performance, FORGED, Zen etc... Those are a little different than working in a dealership/general shop. However, such places look for people with exceptional skills and experience.

Don't forget that you have to buy your own tools too. Just pick up a Matco, Snap-On or MAC Tools catalog and start looking at the prices for a decent box, a set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets, and ask yourself if you really want to go into debt that fast just to have an entry-level set of tools and a box.

Stormhammer
12-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Check out Costco. They pay pretty well.

Gashbell4595
12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Hmm, really doubting you finished High School in 2 years, and if im not mistaken, you said you paid for that S2000 you crashed and everything else and not parents money, and your 16...
Im actually interested in how you finished High School in 2 years, im a Sophomore and the only people I've seen are juniors graduating early with 4.0+ GPAs.

Dylan
12-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Hmm, really doubting you finished High School in 2 years, and if im not mistaken, you said you paid for that S2000 you crashed and everything else and not parents money, and your 16...
Im actually interested in how you finished High School in 2 years, im a Sophomore and the only people I've seen are juniors graduating early with 4.0+ GPAs.

I'm 20 and finished HS at 15, started college right after 16 and went with that. It's super easy if you dedicate yourself and don't dick around like 99% of kids these days. I've had over $100,000 worth of cars since i was able to drive and I paid for them all, it isn't hard with a job. Nothing is impossible and as long as you are dedicated you can accomplish anything. Step yo game up shawty.

§treet_§peed
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
If you want a good paying job that will be flexible around school, go to your local hospital and try to get a job working in the cafeteria. If you plan on going to college that is. I worked at the hospital up here during 2 and half years of high school until I graduated. I made a shit ton of money since I had no time really lol.