PDA

View Full Version : drag racing transmission on a bike

fatty
11-23-2012, 08:04 PM
can you instal a drag racing transmission on a smaller cc bike. drag racing transmission is the transmission were you only have to use the clutch lever when going from a stop or coming to a stop correct? the reason why I am asking is, my left arm was almost severed off in a accident making it super hard to work a clutch lever all the time. I don't want to give up riding and trying to come up with a solution.

Sinfix_15
11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.tobefast.com/images/D/Campagna_T-Rex_Extreme_Blue.jpg

Catnip
11-23-2012, 10:39 PM
R1s can go around 106mph in first gear IIRC, so just do that...

:D

In all seriousness, though. I only use the clutch to take off anyways.

clutchless shifting motorcycle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=20&gs_id=3s&xhr=t&q=clutchless+shifting+motorcycle&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1336&bih=628&wrapid=tljp1353731754100056&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1)

Patterson
11-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Most bikes 2000+ will change gears without the clutch. The manufactor recommends it. A burp of the throttle and pressure up on the shifter it will fall right in. Now with higher HP bikes most guys have the trans gears under cut to keep them from separating and shearing teeth. But it has nothing really to do with shifting.

Same with down shifting it's all about rpm matching really. I recommend trying it at low rpm's to get the feel. You can always install an electric shifter when all else fails.

Patterson
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I say RPM matching when really your just taking the strain off of the gear assembly allowing it to slide into the next gear weather it be up or down. I didn't watch the video above but for up shifts you just chop the throttle slightly with pressure up on the shifter. Down shifts can be tricky for some depending on the speed you are going. You can make the bike down shift enough to actually have the rear tire slide on you. Some of the newer bikes have a slider clutch installed factory to try and keep this down but it still happens if you are aggressive with it. For a down shift the throttle is usually closed slowing the bike apply pressure down on the shifter and give the throttle a slight burp and it will fall right in.

LordMDP
11-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I agree with you on upshifting but you Have to use the clutch on downshifts unless your riding a dirtbike offroad

Most bikes 2000+ will change gears without the clutch. The manufactor recommends it. A burp of the throttle and pressure up on the shifter it will fall right in. Now with higher HP bikes most guys have the trans gears under cut to keep them from separating and shearing teeth. But it has nothing really to do with shifting.

Same with down shifting it's all about rpm matching really. I recommend trying it at low rpm's to get the feel. You can always install an electric shifter when all else fails.

Catnip
11-30-2012, 06:42 AM
No you don't. I didn't use the clutch until I popped it back into first while sitting still and ready to take off. No grinding and I never had issues.

Subleg4
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Ya I only use clutch for taking off in first gear and sometimes when I downshift into first, other than that its all clutchless. It's all about rev matching and knowing your bike, listen to it talk, as dumb as it sounds it makes a different, I can go through all my gears clutchless without looking at the tach, just the sound talks to you.

Jaimecbr900
11-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Why not just install an air shifter/electric shifter and granny shift? You get to ride that way considering your situation.

BLK JDM
12-02-2012, 11:00 AM
There are companies like HM Plant & others that have quickshifters that work in both directions. Or even auto blipper systems for the downshifting. The prices have gone down over the years so it's not too expensive.