PDA

View Full Version : Questions about MazdaSpeed Protege

KevinT707
12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
My buddy has a MazdaSpeed Protege & wants to make it fast but his options seem limited because I hear the stock bottom end can't handle any more than a couple extra PSI of boost. Will it ever hit over 200 WHP w/ NO turbo upgrade or internals? Any ideas or inputs ? Thanks

mp3hewett
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey man I was in your history class at ksu. The best thing I have seen from people is a front mount, hardpipes, intake, exhaust and something to tune with. Last dyno meet we had a guy had the hard pipes, 3in exhaust, intake and something to tune with and he made 190 whp at 6.5 psi i believe. Tell your friend to check out www.msprotege.com and come out to some of the local meets we do all the time. You should also come out man, we have a blast. By the way I ended up getting a black 05 srt4!

JITB
12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
the internals are weak, i hear. But you can make power with some good tuning. like mp3 said hardpipes - FMIC - exhaust. i think someone on here with a msp runs his on 13lbs

Elroy2002
12-10-2005, 08:53 PM
kevin there are alot of things. miguel just needs to change out a few things, intake, exhuast, piping and frontmount. i think that should hit the nail on the head and get you 200. it's stock at 175 so that's not hard. tell him that i did see him last night cause he honked at me on roswell road.

1439/2000
12-10-2005, 08:57 PM
kevin there are alot of things. miguel just needs to change out a few things, intake, exhuast, piping and frontmount. i think that should hit the nail on the head and get you 200. it's stock at 175 so that's not hard. tell him that i did see him last night cause he honked at me on roswell road.

At the flywheel. Its less at the wheels.

That sucks that it's that hard to make 200 whp in that.

Does anybody build the motor in those anyway?

JITB
12-11-2005, 04:06 AM
yea, they do but its just that thos motors have weak internals... They make good power just cant handle it. I know one guy dynoed @ 190hp with 9lbs i believe. The rods are really fragile.. I thikn the zoom zoom boom club originated with the 3rd gen FS motors. I think personally that with some really good tuning u can keep it runnign with out throwin a rod to atleast 12lbs.

KevinT707
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Appreciate the advice dudes, I'll pass this info to my buddy :)

Sport1.3
12-13-2005, 05:24 PM
200 whp isnt hard at all. i was making that at 8psi in my 2003 ES protege with a T3 (not that much bigger and dirt cheap) and a 2.25"turbo back. i was making around 200-205whp and 217-220 wtq @ 8psi untuned no problem. come on the motors are special built by callaway( they build and manufacture race cars)! they arent as weak as you would think. there are ppl in Puerto rico running 9-10 sec 1/4 with a 500+ whp FS-DET swapped in a 323 hatch! the problem is crappy aftermarket, and poor tuning. dumb ppl think that all you have to do to make it fast is turn up the boost and they pop their motors. Ron (not sure of SN) with a lazer blue MSP made 190whp @6psi(stock boost) with 3" turbo back, intake, hard pipes and a DSM AFC thats it. you raise the boost from there to about 10 psi(limit of stock ECU), add bigger injectors, and a more efficient heat exchanger and you would be well beyond 200whp. happy tuning