PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who wanted a Nextel...

quickdodge®
11-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Why didn't you just get a Nextel? Day in and day out, while putting my 500 miles on the road, I see people that pretend that their phones are either walkie talkies or Nextels. All the time I see this. People holding their phone to their mouths. It's bad enough that they don't have the common sense to use a hands-free device in the first place. Which brings me to another musing. In this day and age of technology, why don't people use bluetooths or headphones of some sort?

So if any of you that read this do this, tell me..........why pretend you're on a Nextel or walkie talkie?

98blackcivic
11-04-2012, 07:30 AM
denial

green91
11-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Probably because Nextel is dead come January.

CSquared
11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I put my cell phone on speaker and
hold it near my chin/mouth if that is what you are referring to. For some reason i feel like it distracts me less while driving. Maybe i feel like its easier to just drop the phone and grab the wheel. Also more comfortable than having my hand stuck to the side of my head.

As far as why I don't use blue tooth or a headset. Crappy excuse but i find them uncomfortable.

I dislike nextel.

quickdodge®
11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Wow. Sacrifice safety for comfort. The logic just completely overwhelms me.

As far as the why? That also makes no sense. It's "easier to drop the phone and grab the wheel" and "more comfortable than having" your hand "stuck to the side of your head" when you hold it by your chin? Your chin is, at most, 3" from your ear. Is it that 3" that much of a difference?

I don't know, man, it just looks ridiculous and it's not any safer.

CSquared
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow. Sacrifice safety for comfort. The logic just completely overwhelms me.

As far as the why? That also makes no sense. It's "easier to drop the phone and grab the wheel" and "more comfortable than having" your hand "stuck to the side of your head" when you hold it by your chin? Your chin is, at most, 3" from your ear. Is it that 3" that much of a difference?

I don't know, man, it just looks ridiculous and it's not any safer. Like I said, wow.

"At most 3 inches"... My hand is 7 inches closer to the steering wheel from holding to my ear vs holding against my chest by my chin as I do. I don't find myself anywhere near as distracted with the phone in the latter position. Again, a good justification? No. But I am merely providing you with my reasoning for ear vs mouth. Not whether or not i should be using a hands free device.

If you could take the condescending tone down a notch, that would be awesome. ;)

quickdodge®
11-04-2012, 10:26 AM
If you could take the condescending tone down a notch, that would be awesome. ;)

I drive an 80,000lb pile of steel down the roads every day. And I like going home to my family every day. If I want to be aware of my surroundings for my safety, then I will. If that means questioning unsafe practices, then I will.

I don't see the point in purposely being unsafe.

.blank cd
11-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Put it on speaker in your lap or take the call when you get stopped. There's zero reason anyone should be holding a phone up to their face in a car in 2012

D3UC3S
11-04-2012, 11:23 AM
I laugh at those people as well. It works exactly the same in your lap as it does holding it to your chin. You just dont look as retarded.

CSquared
11-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Can't hear the other person when the phone is in my lap. Otherwise, that is what I would do.

D3UC3S
11-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Me either, i just use an aux cord to go through the car speakers. Usually have it plugged in anyways for the pandoras

Echonova
11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Bluetooth headset = baller status.

That's why I have one.

D3UC3S
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
blue tooth= you looking like a nerdy techie or a wanna be baller brother man

green91
11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I only wear a BT when im cruising in my Miata

Echonova
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
As do I, or when I'm rolling in my 650hp DD because you never know when a bitch is gonna act like a bitch.

green91
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
LOL, I thought it was gauranteed that bitches will bitch.

Doppelgänger
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I always get a kick out of those who hold their phone away from their face, talk and then put it to their ear to listen....and repeat the process. Or the same activity except they have their volume cranked up 9not on speaker) and hold it away from their face....as if it were on speak. People are retarded and should be run over by trains.

Jaimecbr900
11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
OMG, I was just talking to my girl about this very thing the other day.

#1. If your phone is so crappy that it doesn't pick up your voice from the proper position up to your ear......buy a new one.
#2. You look totally retarded acting like your phone is a walkie talkie or something.
#3. Doesn't the back and forth crap waste both time and energy?
#4. What is so wrong with putting the phone up to your ear like it was designed to? Is that the new "in" thing to not squash an ear lobe or something?????

I totally hate when people talk on their phone like that. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Talk on it like it was meant to, get a bluetooth, or use the speaker/hands free function. The end.

Julio
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
So, why does a a cellphone offer this feature ? Just playing devils advocate...

I used this feature frequently..however, not in the car since I use a BT.