PDA

View Full Version : This will go down as an all-time great query...

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
First off, I'll preface this with the fact that I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. I don't mean that I was being unloaded at a warehouse or sitting on the side of the road waiting for a repair service to come fix an issue with the truck and I had time to sit and ponder life's unanswered questions for a couple or three hours. I've thought about this over weeks, leading into months and have never really expanded upon just the thought process. So now I've decided to go public with my musing.

There's a trend that's been going around for quite some time that I cannot fully grasp. I don't understand the meaning behind this alteration as it is usually done only halfway through making the job look unconvincing and unfinished. And people really stand behind this as a legit deal. Then, when asked about why, the defensiveness is pretty straight to the point. Only the defense fails the majority of the time. So I wonder why do something to your car and call it something that it is not?

But hold on a second! This isn't my soul burning question. It's just another ponder moment. The actual question is..................

........................Why don't Honda drivers put Acura badges on their Hondas?

Sinfix_15
11-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Because Honda, not Acura, is the parent company. Also, Honda themselves do it. If you pop the "hood" on Honda's most premium sports car under the Acura brand, the NSX, what you will find is an engine badge'd like this.
http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/data/media/78/honda_nsx_engine.jpg

The real question is why do we have Acuras at all? Here's the answer.... marketing. Honda, which developed it's brand by being reliable and economical needed to tap into the luxury market. "if it aint broke, dont fix it", well Honda definitely aint broke, so theyre not gonna scale up their existing lineup which is selling perfectly well and risk losing a market they already have cornered. "Acura Integra" sure sounds a lot more enticing than "More expensive Civic", thus Acura was born and became a brand in which Honda could sell their higher priced vehicles. It's easier to create a new image than it is to change your image.

The same way a Lexus is still a Toyota, a Infinity is still a Nissan and Hannah Montana is still Miley Cyrus, an Acura is still a Honda.

If anything.... people who rebadge Honda are not disguising their cars as something else, theyre removing the Acura mask.

Andr3w
11-03-2012, 09:10 AM
The same way a Lexus is still a Toyota, an Infiniti is still a Nissan and Hannah Montana is still Miley Cyrus, an Acura is still a Honda.

This

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Because Honda, not Acura, is the parent company. Also, Honda themselves do it.

The real question is why do we have Acuras at all? Here's the answer.... marketing. Honda, which developed it's brand by being reliable and economical needed to tap into the luxury market. "if it aint broke, dont fix it", well Honda definitely aint broke, so theyre not gonna scale up their existing lineup which is selling perfectly well and risk losing a market they already have cornered. "Acura Integra" sure sounds a lot more enticing than "More expensive Civic", thus Acura was born and became a brand in which Honda could sell their higher priced vehicles. It's easier to create a new image than it is to change your image.

The same way a Lexus is still a Toyota, a Infinity is still a Nissan and Hannah Montana is still Miley Cyrus, an Acura is still a Honda.

If anything.... people who rebadge Honda are not disguising their cars as something else, theyre removing the Acura mask.

Way to take this thread too seriously, Sin, lolol.

It wasn't that serious and I know that Honda is Acura. But if you'd pay attention to what I was getting at, these people that put Honda badging on their Acuras and say "because it is a Honda" are wrong. It's not a Honda unless it says Honda on the title. If it says Acura Integra on the title, it's an Acura Integra. Especially when it's clearly a North American spec Acura (LHD anyone?).

Besides, if Acura is Honda, then Honda is Acura so it shouldn't matter. I want to see people putting the A badge on their EGs.

Andr3w
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM

It wasn't that serious and I know that Honda is Acura. But if you'd pay attention to what I was getting at, these people that put Honda badging on their Acuras and say "because it is a Honda" are wrong. It's not a Honda unless it says Honda on the title. If it says Acura Integra on the title, it's an Acura Integra. Especially when it's clearly a North American spec Acura (LHD anyone?).

Besides, if Acura is Honda, then Honda is Acura so it shouldn't matter. I want to see people putting the A badge on their EGs.

I see what you're saying. Most people just have the super rare left hand drive Honda Integra :D

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 09:29 AM
^^^ Lolol!!!

Sinfix_15
11-03-2012, 09:31 AM

For me, the Acura badge is just too damn ugly.

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
For me, the Acura badge is just too damn ugly.

Same as an H badge. Just a polished letter of the alphabet.

I can't lie, though, my friend. I did the same thing back in the 1980s. I had a 1980 Mustang that I put an emblem from an early 80s BMW on the hood of, lolol.

But I never tried to tell anyone I was driving a BMW.

Sinfix_15
11-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Same as an H badge. Just a polished letter of the alphabet.

I can't lie, though, my friend. I did the same thing back in the 1980s. I had a 1980 Mustang that I put an emblem from an early 80s BMW on the hood of, lolol.

But I never tried to tell anyone I was driving a BMW.

If i were president, foxbodies would be constitutionally protected from being defaced in such a manner! May the car gods have mercy on your soul.

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
If i were president, foxbodies would be constitutionally protected from being defaced in such a manner! May the car gods have mercy on your soul.

Lolol. It was the 80s, man. The BMW symbol was being used everywhere.

Of course I wouldn't do it now.

VQ35 Star
11-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I think QD already knows all of this.

georgieboi
11-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Same thing with the new frs (or whatever it is) owners, they don't know if its a Toyota, scion or a Subaru...

05dc5s
11-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Lolol at the thread intro.

Actually necessity being the mother of invention the Reagan imposed import restriction laws prompted Honda to create an upscale version of their cars with greater mark up(so profits could remain comparable despite a potential decrease in volume) and, being under a different brand name helped more "honestly" bypass that legislation.

What you said is correct as well.

Sinfix_15
11-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Lolol at the thread into.

Actually necessity being the mother of invention the Reagan imposed import restriction laws prompted Honda to create an upscale version of their cars with greater mark up(so profits could remain comparable despite a potential decrease in volume) and, being under a different brand name helped more "honestly" bypass that legislation.

What you said is correct as well.

Nice. Learn something new everyday.

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice. Learn something new everyday.

I don't believe that's true, Sin. I've never heard, read or seen this reasoning. From my memory, it's simply a upscale division of Honda.

05dc5s
11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't believe that's true, Sin. I've never heard, read or seen this reasoning. From my memory, it's simply a upscale division of Honda.

When I get home I'll give you some more information about it. It's not something I just made up or came up with lol.

Consider why it remained Honda in Japan but Acura was created for over here.

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
When I get home I'll give you some more information about it. It's not something I just made up or came up with lol.

Please do. I've been scouring the Nets to find this info and can find nothing of what you stated. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just saying I've never seen this info before.

Consider why it remained Honda in Japan but Acura was created for over here.

To create a separate entity. A different brand within the company.

05dc5s
11-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Please do. I've been scouring the Nets to find this info and can find nothing of what you stated. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just saying I've never seen this info before.

To create a separate entity. A different brand within the company.

"When the automobile industry in the United States was threatened by the popularity of cheaper more fuel efficient Japanese cars, a 1981 voluntary restraint agreement limited the Japanese to exporting 1.68 million cars to the U.S. annually as stipulated by U.S Government.

The Japanese automobile industry responded by establishing assembly plants or "transplants" in the United States to produce mass market vehicles. They also began exporting bigger, more expensive cars (soon under their newly-formed luxury brands like Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti)."

Now that's from Wikipedia and I understand you'll want better sources than that so, I'll have to get that off my pc at home. It was also corroborated to me by a retired Honda rep.

05dc5s
11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Around this time you'll also notice that the models began to become less similar and that there was a greater price difference between them. This was also a result of that action.

quickdodgeŽ
11-03-2012, 02:42 PM
"When the automobile industry in the United States was threatened by the popularity of cheaper more fuel efficient Japanese cars, a 1981 voluntary restraint agreement limited the Japanese to exporting 1.68 million cars to the U.S. annually as stipulated by U.S Government.

The Japanese automobile industry responded by establishing assembly plants or "transplants" in the United States to produce mass market vehicles. They also began exporting bigger, more expensive cars (soon under their newly-formed luxury brands like Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti)."

Here is what I gather from this report. This doesn't coincide with Acura being established. If you'll remember, Honda introduced it's first North American auto factory in November of 1982. This factory was built to circumnavigate this restraint agreement so they will no longer be exporting Hondas to the States. They build them here in America and thus negate exportation. Acura didn't show up for another 5 years after. The reason why Acura came around because they wanted to tap into the luxury market. Since the Honda name was synonymous with cheap, gas savers, they didn't think that the public would go for a luxury car from the same company. Thus the beginning of the Acura name.

NaNissan
11-03-2012, 03:02 PM
The reason why Acura came around because they wanted to tap into the luxury market. Since the Honda name was synonymous with cheap, gas savers, they didn't think that the public would go for a luxury car from the same company. Thus the beginning of the Acura name.

This ^^^ at the time everybody considered Japanese cars to be cheap gas savers.

Dylan
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I've never been one to badge my vehicles giving the impression that it is something other than it actually is. I usually just remove all emblems on the exterior lol.

05dc5s
11-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Here is what I gather from this report. This doesn't coincide with Acura being established. If you'll remember, Honda introduced it's first North American auto factory in November of 1982. This factory was built to circumnavigate this restraint agreement so they will no longer be exporting Hondas to the States. They build them here in America and thus negate exportation. Acura didn't show up for another 5 years after. The reason why Acura came around because they wanted to tap into the luxury market. Since the Honda name was synonymous with cheap, gas savers, they didn't think that the public would go for a luxury car from the same company. Thus the beginning of the Acura name.

Well remember wouldn't be the right word since I was a year old at the time lol but, yes I am aware of the Accord plant being built. You're right the factory was built as a work around but, also to give Honda credibility. and that it better worked with Honda's "sell one build one" business model, the Accord being a volume unit and Honda wanting a larger American presence made a factory make sense for this reason too. There wasn't the restriction in the 70s yet they built the motorcycle plant in 79 because they also wanted to further grow and develop the American motorcycle market and they already had Honda of America manufacturing established by this point. You are right they wanted to tap into the luxury market and and different branding helped with this but, for the same reason you began to see a bigger difference in models and trim levels Acura was created to keep profits the same or better even if volume was limited. I guess what I'm getting at is what you're saying is correct and true but so is what I'm saying.

I am home now and I know I promised some additional sources but I am not finding them atm so sorry for that. :(

RL...
11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Same reason I put skyline and gtr badges on my g35, because its jdm man. get with the program.

D3UC3S
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
If you look closely at the two emblems, the Acura "A" is merely the Honda "H" layed back at an angle with the "warp speed" starwars scrolling intro script effect added.

RandomGuy
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Acura badges don't as much power

quickdodgeŽ
11-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Acura badges don't as much power

I'm going to put an Acura badge on my Civic.

RandomGuy
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm going to put an Acura badge on my Civic. NICE!

you should step up the gansterness and remove the 'CVCC' badge and put 'nTGRA'

at least 60hp gain

Sammich
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
mine is just an integra, it's not honda or acura...