PDA

View Full Version : What/when do you consider a person financially successful?

RL...
10-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Making this thread to gauge the diverse opinion of some of the members of importatlanta.com. According to my facebook's newsfeed, people my age regard being successful simply as not having a child out of wedlock and not that much debt making 25k a year full time. lol

I consider being financially successful when a person makes atleast 70k-80k a year but works less than or equal to 40 hours a week. I specified hours worked per week because I know someone who works 6-7 days a week and makes around 70k a year, but he has no time to do anything or take vacations which is pointless to me.

I will say that I have not yet met my definition of being so...far from it still.

Sammich
10-30-2012, 06:59 AM
think about the first scenario though..no debt and 25k a year...no child possibly not married...that's good money for the scenario, not successful persay, 35k in that same scenario, you can make good enough moves.

when you start making money in the 70-80k range you really start teetering w/ having only 5 day work weeks and 40 hour days...those kinds of jobs require more of their employees for what they are paying them, if you think about it. i'd take the first scenario at $50k/year after taxes

ruah_23
10-30-2012, 07:53 AM
House paid for by retirement .
0 debts except for bills ect ect
Able to take enjoy retirement,healthy and do ministry.

Tht's my take

WhiteAccord
10-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Already living a financially secured life.

Zero debt
Own my own place
45k a year @ 35 hours a week w/ any vacation time.
Full benefits w/ an already healthy lifestyle
Single and Mingling

Just turned 24 today :yes:

.blank cd
10-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Success and security are two totally different things. I feel successful and I make way less than $80k. Financial security is how you'll feel if you were to lose your income source tomorrow.

Bacon
10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I am one of those people who work 6-7 days a week and only make $45k-ish a year. 26yo with two kids. I still find time with my kids all the time. I love the job security I have. I enjoy what I do. Am I financially set? Nope and far from it. Could things be better? Yep but I am content.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

RandomGuy
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
i'd consider it as when the issue of money is no longer on the table and you're doing what you like. So I guess this would depend on how much you spend or have to spend, but the work/life mix is more important IMO.

05dc5s
10-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Making this thread to gauge the diverse opinion of some of the members of importatlanta.com. According to my facebook's newsfeed, people my age regard being successful simply as not having a child out of wedlock and not that much debt making 25k a year full time. lol

I consider being financially successful when a person makes atleast 70k-80k a year but works less than or equal to 40 hours a week. I specified hours worked per week because I know someone who works 6-7 days a week and makes around 70k a year, but he has no time to do anything or take vacations which is pointless to me.

I will say that I have not yet met my definition of being so...far from it still.

Anyones answer to a question like this is completely subjective. It's a state of mind and a matter of whether or not you're achieving personal happiness. There are those that make hardly any money and work extremely hard and are happy and there are those that work hardly if at all and aren't. It's a matter of perception that cannot be defined well by a specific number. One may think that making $80,000 a year is great until he becomes aware that another is making that in a month. I believe you'll find that the harder you search for the answer to be defined with numbers the more you'll be aware of how much others make and then possible end up being less happy when you're seeking satisfaction in what you just achieved. You'd be best served to just look at what you've done so far to see if something important is missing. If it is fix that and if not simply enjoy what you have.

Sammich
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
the thread was made to see what others think...sooooooooooo what do you think/consider financial success?

05dc5s
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Me?

Sammich
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
naw, reptar:ninja:

05dc5s
10-30-2012, 12:58 PM
naw, reptar:ninja:
Oh, my bad.

bu villain
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
In my opinion, the problem with your definition is that it doesn't take into account liabilities. If you are making 100k but your mortgage is 90k a year and you have 20k in credit card debt, you are not financially successful. For me, financial success means your assests are large enough/generate enough income that you can live comfortably in perpituity without doing anything for money. Looking forward to getting there.

Sammich
10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
For me, financial success means your assests are large enough/generate enough income that you can live comfortably in perpituity without doing anything for money. Looking forward to getting there.

edited for point of thread

Vteckidd
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
When i can afford 2 chicks.....................at the same time

05dc5s
10-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Rumor is that you can do that already..........for FREE!

Catnip
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Financial success = happy with the money you make, with the ambition to make more.

Bacon
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
What really is financial success? Everyone here adjusts their living based on what they make a year. If you make more the next year, you adjust again. More money = bigger house or modded cars. More money = nicest everything.

Does anyone ever actually reach financial success?

E36slide
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Success can be many things. I don't think it has material value. It's a state of mind. One being proud of what they have accomplished. It does help to be financially stable, but that's not the most important aspect of life. Accomplishing goals set forth by your self should be more important then the money gained from any job. That's just a plus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

quickdodgeŽ
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
What/when do you consider a person financially successful?

When that person can afford $800 lug nuts.

David88vert
10-30-2012, 07:50 PM

I could afford them but I do not consider myself financially successful - yet.

Financially successful is when you are paid better than your industry's normal salary and that is the way that you are being rewarded for your delivery.

green91
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
I think its different for everyone. I think its a combo of making a comfortable income while also being content with that it takes to make it. I consider myself very successful.

Sammich
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM

you trying to lose money? LOL

E36slide
10-31-2012, 08:06 AM

That's just stupid and waste of money. I bet they add 30whp to. Smh

David88vert
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
That's just stupid and waste of money. I bet they add 30whp to. Smh

What about a $16k carbon fiber helmet? Is that stupid as well?

Elbow
10-31-2012, 09:11 AM

If you can live without going paycheck to paycheck, afford to save money, and afford to live outside of just work. Then you're financially successful. The amount is meaningless.

Dylan
10-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I feel okay with where I'm at now, however, I do everything I can to keep moving forward. I work 45hrs a week, make around 30-35k a year, have two vehicles that are paid for, very minimal bills, and my yearly income in savings that only increases. I'm quite proud of myself actually at only being 20 and been on my own since 16.