PDA

View Full Version : Anybody old enough to remember...

Rsporty
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Is anybody else old enough to remember when Enkei wheels were what you put on your BMW if you couldn't afford BBS and they were called "Stinky Enkeis" by people with BBS'?
Back then you wouldn't dare "waste" them on a Honda. LOL!

Then, when they went out of business in the late 80's, an old man in Atlanta bought out there entire left over U.S. inventory and had a warehouse FULL of brand new, in the box Enkeis.
Damn, I wish I could remember how to get to that warehouse!

David88vert
10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
I believe that was American Racing that had most of them initially, and they were on McCall Drive in Doraville.

Rsporty
10-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm talking about just one old man and it was downtown Atlanta, somewhere.
I went and looked around the warehouse with a buddy once, but it was almost like an alley off a side street, where we parked and went in.

Echonova
10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm old... But I was never privy to said warehouse's location.

RandomGuy
10-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Crazy! Never heard of this as I'm probably a few years too young, but I do have some enkei-92's on the rx7

quickdodge®
10-27-2012, 03:59 AM
First off, lolol @ asking a "remember when" question on a forum known to be inhabited by me.

Secondly, Enkei never went out of business. Never even bought out.

I also have never heard of the term "stinky Enkei." Not to say some people may not have said that, but I know during my time selling wheels I never heard it. I also have never heard of said warehouse, but I don't think one person bought out an entire inventory of a company that was still in operation.

BTLFED
10-27-2012, 01:03 PM
First off, lolol @ asking a "remember when" question on a forum known to be inhabited by me.

Speaking of old, when was the last time I was even on here? Hmm....

And what the hell is this dude who started this thread talking about?

Catnip
10-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Is anybody else old enough to remember when Enkei wheels were what you put on your BMW if you couldn't afford BBS and they were called "Stinky Enkeis" by people with BBS'?
Back then you wouldn't dare "waste" them on a Honda. LOL!

Then, when they went out of business in the late 80's, an old man in Atlanta bought out there entire left over U.S. inventory and had a warehouse FULL of brand new, in the box Enkeis.
Damn, I wish I could remember how to get to that warehouse!

Errrr, late 80's is when Enkei was getting involved with F1 racing and making 3 piece wheels for F1 cars. I don't see how a company would go under soon as they start getting into F1 racing, and is now one of the largest wheel manufacturers out there. Not to mention making factory optioned wheels for multiple makes for decades.

quickdodge®
10-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Errrr, late 80's is when Enkei was getting involved with F1 racing and making 3 piece wheels for F1 cars. I don't see how a company would go under soon as they start getting into F1 racing, and is now one of the largest wheel manufacturers out there. Not to mention making factory optioned wheels for multiple makes for decades.

It was actually the mid-80s. They started their F1 division in 1986.

Doppelgänger
10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
OP is clearly on drugs.

Sir_Christopher
10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
i just bought enkei wheels, now im gonna be made fun of for putting them on my acura :[

lol

Rsporty
10-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe I was just mislead and believed a lie my whole life.
GREAT! Now I'm gonna need therapy! lol

All I know is that me and a buddy went to this warehouse and it was FULL of isles and isles of Enkei boxes and wheels stacked high.
The old man said that he "bought everything they had left and this is it." and gave my buddy a stupid cheap deal on a set of gold/chrome lip Enkeis for his BMW 320i.
Maybe they just changed their forging/manufacturing process when they got into F1 and these were what was made before that or something.
I don't know.

Rsporty
10-30-2012, 02:53 PM
OP is clearly on drugs.

So? That has nothing to do with it. lol

Rsporty
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
i just bought enkei wheels, now im gonna be made fun of for putting them on my acura :[

lol

Why do I never see that sweet lookin' Teg around town?

quickdodge®
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
All I know is that me and a buddy went to this warehouse and it was FULL of isles and isles of Enkei boxes and wheels stacked high.
The old man said that he "bought everything they had left and this is it."

I'm thinking if this is legit, then he may have bought out a retailers stock as that particular retailer may have been going out of business.

D3UC3S
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking if this is legit, then he may have bought out a retailers stock as that particular retailer may have been going out of business.

It was the Nopi on 78 in stonemountain/snellville