PDA

View Full Version : has anyone done this? to slam your car

TheATLien
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
found this video on youtube....just wondering if anyone out here has done this before

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxvsG9y7_8">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxvsG9y7_8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxvsG9y7_8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxvsG9y7_8)

bitchface
09-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I saw a Ford Festiva with this type system at the Pull-a-Part off Moreland Ave. No joke.

TheATLien
09-22-2012, 11:22 PM
i think i might do this ....i thinkkkk...idk yet dont want to fuck shit up lol
but has anyone on ia done this and let me know!

Sneezin
09-23-2012, 08:39 AM
ummm...if the sleeve is going to sit exactly where the "perch" was at, why would you even cut it off?

Relentless
09-23-2012, 09:20 AM
X2^ So the weight of the car is gona be resting right where the welds are?

Kyle
09-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I mean try if you like, but I think it'll probably be a waste of time. Coilovers are so cheap these days I wouldn't bother modifying struts (especially if stock because they will just blow and/or be really bouncy).

quickdodgeŽ
09-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Coilovers are so cheap these days ...

Not for his car.

Durtie
09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
This isn't anything special. I though all coilovers were installed this way. I had to cut my perch so I can put my skunk2 coilovers on. Thats what the instructions from skunk2 told me to do.

draggbody
09-23-2012, 07:29 PM
This isn't anything special. I though all coilovers were installed this way. I had to cut my perch so I can put my skunk2 coilovers on. Thats what the instructions from skunk2 told me to do.

but when your eBay default search choices are set to 'lowest price including shipping' and you dont look at anything except the first page, this the post you get... just go have someone heat your springs for $50-$60 and bounce out...

bitchface
09-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I hate to be Mr.Negative here but I don't think this car is going to end well.

quickdodgeŽ
09-23-2012, 08:04 PM
just go have someone heat your springs for $50-$60 and bounce out...

Now you're speaking my language.

Mmmmm hmm.

draggbody
09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Now you're speaking my language..i probably do 4-5 of them a month in my area... cant tell you how many lowered cars with springs come in that people say they arent low enough... burn them bitches down... lol

quickdodgeŽ
09-23-2012, 09:38 PM
i probably do 4-5 of them a month in my area... cant tell you how many lowered cars with springs come in that people say they arent low enough... burn them bitches down... lol

I dropped my first car via the $2 torch from K Mart back in 1986, lolol. I used to do them for people for money but stopped after a few years because I didn't want to be liable for any (possible) mishaps.

PTCDC5
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Why would you do this? Used, half decent suspension will be just as cheap, safer, and ride better.

draggbody
09-23-2012, 09:47 PM
QD, i figured you were more of a zayre's shopper... lol

quickdodgeŽ
09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Why would you do this? Used, half decent suspension will be just as cheap, safer, and ride better.

Look. Here's where some people aren't as "in the know" about the car. No one makes after market lowering springs or coil overs or anything that will lower his car. He's going to have to go the old school route on an old school car. Just as I did. Fortunately for me though, is a few people over in the UK did some work for BC Racing and now I have a coil over option for mine. As far as the video and doing what he did, I don't know anything about that. I trust what I know and that's pretty much it, lolol.

i figured you were more of a zayre's shopper... lol

Haha. Nope. They want $3 for their torches.

draggbody
09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Haha. Nope. They want $3 for their torches.

i wonder how many people are wondering what a zayre is... lol... you old bastid... oh, wait, i know too...

quickdodgeŽ
09-23-2012, 10:00 PM
i wonder how many people are wondering what a zayre is... lol... you old bastid... oh, wait, i know too...

People today know that store pretty much as TJ Maxx.

Elbow
09-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I don't see the point in cutting stuff off? There's nothing wrong with coilover sleeves, sleeves and good shocks are better than half of the cheap full coilovers people ride around on these days.

Sinfix_15
09-24-2012, 09:20 AM

this kind of makes me sad.......

Sinfix_15
09-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't see the point in cutting stuff off? There's nothing wrong with coilover sleeves, sleeves and good shocks are better than half of the cheap full coilovers people ride around on these days.

The perch sits an inch or two higher than where the sleeve position would allow the spring to rest. lowering would be the only benefit gained. I would personally have to explore several other options prior to going this route.

What car are we talking about here? that would help in thinking about this.

quickdodgeŽ
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM

There is no thinking about it. There are no options besides cutting, heating or fabricating your own suspension set up. Literally. He has a second gen Accord. Pretty much in the same boat I'm in. Gotta do what you gotta do..........

............but only if you know what you're doing.

TheATLien
09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I mean try if you like, but I think it'll probably be a waste of time. Coilovers are so cheap these days I wouldn't bother modifying struts (especially if stock because they will just blow and/or be really bouncy).

okay find me some that aree soo cheap and that are made for my 82 honda accord .... :headslap:

quickdodgeŽ
09-24-2012, 08:14 PM
okay find me some that aree soo cheap and that are made for my 82 honda accord .... :headslap:

Hey ease up, dude. You failed to mention the car you're working on so these guys had no clue.

TheATLien
09-24-2012, 08:33 PM

so you did exaclty what the person in the video did?if you did can i see some pictures of how they turned out to look?

TheATLien
09-24-2012, 08:40 PM

like i said

t I dont want to fuck shit up!

dammmmn:dunno:

TheATLien
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM

1982 honda accord hatch my friend

alex14
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Wow. i thought the video explained it well enough. guess not.

The left is a stock strut, the right is one with the cut purch.

Grey is the sleeve that you put over the strut.
Red is the locking ring that the spring rests on.
Green in the purch.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/paintballman5011/gsfhbdhfdsg-1.jpg

As you can see, the locking ring(red) hits the purch (green) before it gets to the bottom of the sleeve's threads (grey). If you cut the purch (green), you can lower the car another .5"-1.5" depending on your strut.

I would leave more of the purch on than he did, but that strut looks pretty used so I guess it didnt hurt. This wont mess up your shocks as long as you dont cut anything but the purch. I would however recommend extended top hats so you dont blow your shocks out as quickly.

TheATLien
09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
i just don't want to drive a monster truck fml

alex14
09-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I dont blame you. I helped my friend do this on his EF. Worked great. I say go for it man.

NeWTRouBLeArMy
09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Well just to throw in my opinion, just listen to QD have someone who knows what their doing heat the springs. I've done several of my own cars and had some that were done by others the ride only gets really bad if they are done incorrectly

Sinfix_15
09-25-2012, 12:30 PM
1982 honda accord hatch my friend

looks safe to me, doesnt sound safe.... but taking a closer look at this method, i cant see any problem with it. Plus, we're talking about a 82 honda accord, not a porsche 911 track car so..............

noticed this method used in Dragoncelica's build thread, if he did it.... i'm confident that it's a safe procedure.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CANDUNGO1515/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8700.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CANDUNGO1515/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5725.jpg

NeWTRouBLeArMy
09-25-2012, 12:39 PM
With that said if done correctly as pictured above i see it working fine, i just dont like the idea of the weight of the car sittin on just that, but in turn to begin with its just the welds that hold the spring cup to the shock thats holding it. Id say the key to anyone of these methods would be to let someone with the experince of doing them before do it and not just try it yourself

TheATLien
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
:crazy:
looks safe to me, doesnt sound safe.... but taking a closer look at this method, i cant see any problem with it. Plus, we're talking about a 82 honda accord, not a porsche 911 track car so..............

noticed this method used in Dragoncelica's build thread, if he did it.... i'm confident that it's a safe procedure.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CANDUNGO1515/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8700.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CANDUNGO1515/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5725.jpg

damn! tell that guy to do it for me! or if someone has done it before hit me up !or else ima just heat em or cut em ..maybe idk :cry:

Durtie
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
this kind of makes me sad.......

I know that full coilovers are direct bolt ons. I just thought that coilover sleeves were all installed this way.

note: My coilover sleeves were professionally installed and they did it this way. The reason they did this is explained pretty well in post 28.

Sinfix_15
09-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I know that full coilovers are direct bolt ons. I just thought that coilover sleeves were all installed this way.

note: My coilover sleeves were professionally installed and they did it this way. The reason they did this is explained pretty well in post 28.

gotcha, i personally have never used a coilover sleeve and as long as a real coilover option is available, probably never will.

TheATLien
09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
@sinfix that bug thingy always gets me im always slapping my computer screen thinking its a real bug! lol

anyway if anyone can do this or knows anyone who has done this right and knows what he is doing hit me up ill pay

Sinfix_15
09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
@sinfix that bug thingy always gets me im always slapping my computer screen thinking its a real bug! lol

anyway if anyone can do this or knows anyone who has done this right and knows what he is doing hit me up ill pay

Any machine shop or exhaust shop that isnt a franchise would do that for you.

TheATLien
09-26-2012, 04:32 PM
ima see wassup

metalmatt47
09-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Nothing wrong with that method at all if it's done right and properly welded. I know dozens of guys that track cars with these coilovers. Ground control makes them with the intent of having them welded onto the strut.

eklanta
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
This seems suspect. But if you do it, make sure you have a good seat for the sleeve to sit on. And do more research on it.

TheATLien
10-09-2012, 10:20 PM
i mean i want some one kind enough to say hey ive done this before and names his price! because i dont have the tools

bitchface
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Let me give you some friendly advice from someone with some real life experience. Cars are a terrible thing to spend your money on when you are in your twenties. You will RUIN this car on your fast food budget. Just leave it stock. If you put your money into keeping this car running well you'll be so much better off; save your money for college. You'll be far better off later in life but just driving it and enjoying the fact that you have a future CLASSIC Japaneese car. Keeping it stock and not doing stupid shit like lowering it and putting idioic round headlamps in will ruin the value and appeal. You will ruin the resale value GREATLY once you get ready to sell it down the road. Trying to sell a modded car like this one is like trying to sell your dirty underwear, no one wants it once you put your skidmarks in it.

quickdodgeŽ
10-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Let me give you some friendly advice from someone with some real life experience. Cars are a terrible thing to spend your money on when you are in your twenties. You will RUIN this car on your fast food budget. Just leave it stock. If you put your money into keeping this car running well you'll be so much better off; save your money for college. You'll be far better off later in life but just driving it and enjoying the fact that you have a future CLASSIC Japaneese car. Keeping it stock and not doing stupid shit like lowering it and putting idioic round headlamps in will ruin the value and appeal. You will ruin the resale value GREATLY once you get ready to sell it down the road. Trying to sell a modded car like this one is like trying to sell your dirty underwear, no one wants it once you put your skidmarks in it.

I disagree in a way, man. Cars are NOT a bad thing to spend money on in your twenties...............if you can afford it. I do agree that with a fast food income, the only thing that money should be spent on (in relation to the car) is in keeping that car running. With my "real life experience," I can definitely relate. For most of my adult life, I did just that. I used the only car I had available to me as my easel. I was sinking what little money I would have on making my car look good (in my eyes) and a lot less on keeping it running. It didn't work so good. Now although my Civic is my daily, I have three other cars at my disposal should it go down. And one of those cars is only a few years old. I am able to afford to have a hobby car. So you do give good advice, bitchface, on that count.

To add, his car is already a classic Japanese car, not a future classic, lolol. Lowering the car will not necessarily make it lose it's appeal. I have the same people tell me how great my car looks now that I have it on the ground that told me how great it looked sitting up higher. And I don't mean younger folks. Lastly, as far as value or resale value goes, you can't lose resale value greatly (when modifying) when the initial value wasn't that great to begin with. These cars do not go for that much money. That's if you're even planning on selling it. I have no designs on selling mine so I did want I wanted to do to mine.

But the important point is the one you made at the beginning of your post.

bitchface
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok, points taken. I should have mentioned that lowering (correctly) might be ok as far as resale value but it will still cost money to do it right. And I should have said "overlooked" classic rather than "future"classic. I was trying to suggest that years from now the car would be worth more than it is because they will only become more rare.

TheATLien
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Video: Ghetto Instagram: iPhone 5 (http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhUzU67LU8yeZjNa98)

TheATLien
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
There is no thinking about it. There are no options besides cutting, heating or fabricating your own suspension set up. Literally. He has a second gen Accord. Pretty much in the same boat I'm in. Gotta do what you gotta do..........

............but only if you know what you're doing.

:cry:heat my $ring$s$s$s$ss!:cry:

quickdodgeŽ
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Ok, points taken. I should have mentioned that lowering (correctly) might be ok as far as resale value but it will still cost money to do it right. And I should have said "overlooked" classic rather than "future"classic. I was trying to suggest that years from now the car would be worth more than it is because they will only become more rare.

I wasn't trying to chastise you, dude. The modifying of cars when money isn't available advice you gave is spot on.

:cry:heat my $ring$s$s$s$ss!:cry:

I don't do stuff like that to other folk's cars anymore. Hope you understand.

TheATLien
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I wasn't trying to chastise you, dude. The modifying of cars when money isn't available advice you gave is spot on.

I don't do stuff like that to other folk's cars anymore. Hope you understand.
haha im kidding! soo many people wanting to buy my car soo idk if ima keep it

quickdodgeŽ
10-13-2012, 06:52 PM
haha im kidding! soo many people wanting to buy my car soo idk if ima keep it

If you sell it, sell it BEFORE you do any modifications to it. That's my advice, my friend.

metalmatt47
10-13-2012, 08:22 PM
If you sell it, sell it BEFORE you do any modifications to it. That's my advice, my friend.

^^True story.

Stock stuff is always worth more money.

bitchface
10-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Yep.

quickdodgeŽ
10-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Stock stuff is always worth more money.

Well in the case of these cars, it won't be too detrimental, but with the mods he was talking about it, it would knock off what little value these cars do have.

TheATLien
10-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Well in the case of these cars, it won't be too detrimental, but with the mods he was talking about it, it would knock off what little value these cars do have.

honestly the only modification i ACTUALLY wanted to do is drop it! i got all 4 chrome beauty rim rings on it now!
and i was gonna buy the original headlights ..the square ones are replacements i think and thats about it....and besides making the seats leather because the rest is leather already

but really i havent made any mods....i got the car not running and put every cent and time to get it running and it runs now!....lost my job because i called out to work on my car..and lost my wallet(debit/id)
but just got a new one....and car only has one problem ...it pumps to much fuel and the previous owner did it himself...and connected to fuel pump cable it straight to the fuse box...and i think it needs a new relay but idk man

quickdodgeŽ
10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
^^^ Wish I could help you, dude, but I know nothing about the "under-the-hood" workings of a car. I'm finally going to have mine back on the road Saturday. Hate not driving it.