PDA

View Full Version : So how many of you all think Nopi has what it takes to become "popular" again?

Nemesis
09-04-2012, 08:33 AM
:no:

dc5-rsx
09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Are you speaking of the Nopi Show or Nopi in general? Maybe, if they bring back that formula they had in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Nopi Show love going when I was younger. Needs a reinvention. As for the Nopi store. I rather shop online or drive to Summit. Better pricing and selection. Both could be popular again, if they changed with the time and listen to the needs of the consumer.

Sent From My Omega Red Galaxy S2

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you speaking of the Nopi Show or Nopi in general? Maybe, if they bring back that formula they had in the late 90's, early 2000's.

You're not even old enough to remember when the NOPI shows were good!

Lolol. Seriously. You're not. NOPI shows hit their peak in the late 1980s and barely into the 1990s before they started to head downhill.

dc5-rsx
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
You're not even old enough to remember when the NOPI shows were good!

Lolol. Seriously. You're not. NOPI shows hit their peak in the late 1980s and barely into the 1990s before they started to head downhill.

I just remember going to them in the late 90's. It was fun then. Damn how old are you qd?

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I just remember going to them in the late 90's. It was fun then. Damn how old are you qd?

My age is in the top right corner of each of my posts, lolol.

dc5-rsx
09-04-2012, 09:51 AM
@qd What do you think caused Nopi decline?

dc5-rsx
09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
My age is in the top right corner of each of my posts, lolol.

Can't see it. I'm using Tapatalk.

boostedb16
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM
if nopi starts selling oem parts and call them "JDM" hahaha, i think the show would do ok.

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
@qd What do you think caused Nopi decline?

My gut wants to tell me the quality of cars. But that would be just an opinion of mine because I'm not really into the whole tuning of cars to the extinct most people are. But reality tells me that times have changed. Car shows aren't what's in these days. In the late 90s/early to mid 2000s, you could find a tuner style show damn near every week. They were everywhere. We were racking up trophies left and right. But as fads come and go, fancy paint jobs, body kits and crazy concoctions went by the wayside and people started heading into a more "performance" aspect of modifying. I use quotations around performance because a lot of people were slapping IHEs on their cars and calling them race cars. Not worrying about paint and such. Also this drifting thing was coming around. People just got disinterested in how their cars looked compared to how they ran.

I say NOPI shows were much better back in the late 80s/early 90s because they featured your California lowriders and mini-trucks and, what brought NOPI to the public in the beginning, Volkswagens. The import tuning scene wasn't really in at that time. Bascially, the import tuning scene then was a car version of mini-trucking. You would take your cars (late 80s Nissan Sentras were hot then) and outfit them with wild paint schemes and wheels and drop. A few engine embellishments were added. Intakes were modified and components were painted/chromed or whatever.

Now where I say those NOPI shows were the best, someone of your age, who grew up in the era of the late 90s/early 2000s NOPI shows, would obviously disagree and refer to the shows grew up on were the best. There is no right or wrong answer and that's the beauty of it.

Can't see it. I'm using Tapatalk.

Ahhh. I'm 42.

RsonGt3's
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
My gut wants to tell me the quality of cars. But that would be just an opinion of mine because I'm not really into the whole tuning of cars to the extinct most people are. But reality tells me that times have changed. Car shows aren't what's in these days. In the late 90s/early to mid 2000s, you could find a tuner style show damn near every week. They were everywhere. We were racking up trophies left and right. But as fads come and go, fance paint jobs, body kits and crazy concoctions went by the wayside and people started heading into a more "performance" aspect of modifying. I use quotations around performance because a lot of people were slapping IHEs on their cars and calling them race cars. Not worrying about paint and such. Also this drifting thing was coming around. People just got disinterested in how their cars looked compared to how they ran.

I say NOPI shows were much better back in the late 80s/early 90s because they featured your California lowriders and mini-trucks and, what brought NOPI to the public in the beginning, Volkswagens. The import tuning scene wasn't really in at that time. Bascially, the import tuning scene then was a car version of mini-trucking. You would take your cars (late 80s Nissan Sentras were hot then) and outfit them with wild paint schemes and wheels and drop. A few engine embellishments were added. Intakes were modified and components were painted/chromed or whatever.

Now where I say those NOPI shows were the best, someone of your age, who grew up in the era of the late 90s/early 2000s NOPI shows, would obviously disagree and refer to the shows grew up on were the best. There is no right or wrong answer and that's the beauty of it.

Ahhh. I'm 42.

Wow that was deep...

Scotsman
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Wow that was deep...but on point

Doppelgänger
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think it would be hard if they were to analyze the current trends and offer said parts at similar prices to online (eBay) retailers...like any other buisness model. All they would have to do is stock cheap XXR (or any other offbrand Chinese wheels) and generic coil-over kits that go with todays "stanced" bandwagon. They used to do with with the "#1 Brand", but it looked goofy and cheap. I don't think it would take too much for someone with a marketing degree to help them out immensely. They may want to have a go a redesigning the logo too...the current NOPI logo screams "we're old and have not changed a bit!" Also, I think they could do well if they can also market themelvs along with the "buy local" trend. I know I'm more than happy to support locally owned buisnesses when I can.

If they had the property, they could offer a weekly meeting spot on their own turf...
I never had a problem with NOPI other than they didn't carry shit for my car.

I dunno, people started getting too cheap....it's hard to compete with the shit on eBay. But the only constant is change. What is cool now, or for the past few years and who knows ho wmuch longer- will change. It's all cycles. Look at the crazy trends that have come and go and the lulls of quiet time in between. I think the "now" is kinda quiet. People are sticking to the basics, cheap wheels, low suspension and basic exterior additions (lips kits and small things). Eventually people will want to create something new and stick out...which will lead the next trend...whatever it may be.

For those old enough for the "young" generation Mike speaks of, I'll just say "UAB"....which was another casualty of the same trend and decline that brought NOPI down.

DynamicSound
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I went to 4 shows in the late 90's/early 00's and enjoyed them. Mainly because of the turnout and diverse amount of cars that I didn't see on a daily basis. I am not speaking of the outfield full of "car clubs" that were full of crap. Nopi as a show will never make it back to what it once was. Today there is a mini show or meet almost every week where people go for FREE and hangout. So why would they go to a show that charges and will not produce any different than what is already seen on a weekly basis. It is a different time and Nopi is a company that have not adapted with time.

Sammich
09-04-2012, 10:43 AM
i was trying to get myself to go, but...i rather attend the mini z r/c race

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Wow that was deep...

I've been here a long time, man, lolol. Almost 30 years of some form of modifying cars. I've got pictures from shows I went to in 1990.

I don't think it would be hard if they were to analyze the current trends and offer said parts at similar prices to online (eBay) retailers...like any other buisness model. All they would have to do is stock cheap XXR (or any other offbrand Chinese wheels) and generic coil-over kits that go with todays "stanced" bandwagon. They used to do with with the "#1 Brand", but it looked goofy and cheap. I don't think it would take too much for someone with a marketing degree to help them out immensely. They may want to have a go a redesigning the logo too...the current NOPI logo screams "we're old and have not changed a bit!"

If they had the property, they could offer a weekly meeting spot on their own turf...
I never had a problem with NOPI other than they didn't carry shit for my car.

I dunno, people started getting too cheap....it's hard to compete with the shit on eBay.

Now if you're talking about NOPI the store, then this Mike has it on point.

For those old enough for the "young" generation Mike speaks of, I'll just say "UAB"....which was another casualty of the same trend and decline that brought NOPI down.

Yep. UAB was about the last of the shops that supplied cars to the last of the "great" NOPI shows. Great group of guys there.

Doppelgänger
09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
See edited post above.

I could see a solid storefront being a good bet. Physical presence with parts and service will go better than just trying to resurrect the name. Hold meets there to show off their product and prove their seriousness. To me, the name itself has a stigma that will be REALLY difficult to shake.
The scene is not dead by any means though. Look at some of the shops out there like Forged and TopSpeed....who seem to be doing quite sell. There is a forumla to succeed here...

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I could see a solid storefront being a good bet. Physical presence with parts and service will go better than just trying to resurrect the name. Hold meets there to show off their product and prove their seriousness. To me, the name itself has a stigma that will be REALLY difficult to shake.
The scene is not dead by any means though. Look at some of the shops out there like Forged and TopSpeed....who seem to be doing quite sell. There is a forumla to succeed here...

The only thing I have to add here is that you really can't compare two entities like NOPI and TS/Forged. One is a shop selling a broad assortment of parts for a broad assortment of interests while the others are specific shops catering to a more higher dollar niche...racing/performance. The scene itself, like you said, seems to be in a lull or rut. I don't see it being alive because of Topspeed or Forged. If these guys were keeping it alive, you'd see more threads on here documenting a member's experience and car. Bringing up UAB reinforces this thought as you remember, Mike, they did damn near 1/4 to 1/2 of IA member's cars back in their heyday. But again, you're trying to compare an auto accessory store with a high performance shop.

Sammich
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
The only thing I have to add here is that you really can't compare two entities like NOPI and TS/Forged. One is a shop selling a broad assortment of parts for a broad assortment of interests while the others are specific shops catering to a more higher dollar niche...racing/performance. The scene itself, like you said, seems to be in a lull or rut. I don't see it being alive because of Topspeed or Forged. If these guys were keeping it alive, you'd see more threads on here documenting a member's experience and car. Bringing up UAB reinforces this thought as you remember, Mike, they did damn near 1/4 to 1/2 of IA member's cars back in their heyday. But again, you're trying to compare an auto accessory store with a high performance shop.

at the same time though, alot of the people actually doing 'real builds' dont have accounts on here...they dont show their's off by posting up 'build threads' etc. speaking in broad terms, not knocking anyone w/ actual, viable build threads

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
at the same time though, alot of the people actually doing 'real builds' dont have accounts on here...they dont show their's off by posting up 'build threads' etc. speaking in broad terms, not knocking anyone w/ actual, viable build threads

While you're right, and I already thought of that (just didn't include it), but you've also got to think about the ratio of people doing builds of that caliber to the people just throwing IHEs and such on their cars. Probably less than 10 out of every 100 people are going after "professional" builds out there. While most may be interested in what these shops do, most aren't eager to throw down that much money on their own car. Especially if they can do most of it themselves. Most every car that Chad has posted for Forged have owners who aren't even members of IA, much less post about it. And I would go further and say that maybe half probably don't really even do the internet thing, either.

Matt300ZXT
09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow I didn't even think NOPI was still around and in business. I went to check out their page and seems they're still using the exact same webpage design that they had when I was looking at their stuff probably 8 to 10 years ago.

Sinfix_15
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
i never remember nopi being good in the first place.

Doppelgänger
09-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow I didn't even think NOPI was still around and in business. I went to check out their page and seems they're still using the exact same webpage design that they had when I was looking at their stuff probably 8 to 10 years ago.

^^^ Which is part of what I was getting at. They need a rebranding...which clearly depends on their financial situation. I don't feel that simply going to meets and just handing out fliers is going to be the solution. Maybe partnering with some of the big name organizations would help...like Stance Nation, ImportAlliance, SouthrnFresh and whatnot. Partner with those names and modernize the image? Though I just went to their website and was surprised to see the amount of stuff they list for my car and their prices. Site still feels old though. After spending more time looking through their stuff, I can say that I could have actually have used them for several things I have needed recently, but I decided to go with Miata-specific venders because I didn't even think about NOPI having some parts for my car.

Mike- I know such shops are on a different level compared to NOPI, but the buisness model can be followed. Get a good name out there and the rest follows. People are willing to spend if they know it's worth their hard earned money. I know a lot of what I am saying is common sense, but I feel a lot of people might not really thing about such simple things. Yes, I agree that it probably is easier for a shop to focus in on a specific car/brand vs a broad spectrum of brands.

Sin- People with your opinion might be the most beneficial to this discussion. Clearly that is your impression, but why? Was it price? Parts selection? Availability? It's discussing the problems and impressions that lead to improvement.

**Disclaimer- I am not affiliated with NOPI by any means. I feel bad for them and how the scene has left them behind. I have a lot of fun memories of killing multiple weekends at their events. I am here to just have a good, level-headed discussion about a local buisness.

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
^^^ Which is part of what I was getting at. They need a rebranding...which clearly depends on their financial situation. I don't feel that simply going to meets adn just handing out fliers is going to be the solution. Maybe partnering with some of the big name organizations would help...like Stance Nation, ImportAlliance, SouthrnFresh and whatnot. Partner with those names and modernize the product.

Here's the thing, my brother with the same name, if you'll remember, NOPI tried that what, a few years ago when they partnered with HIN. That show lasted all of a couple of years (at least here in Atlanta). It doesn't seem to me that the show side of things is as much a thing to do as it used to be. SF, IA etc, are all just great big meets. They are cheaper to throw and cheaper to attend. Like you said, it would seem that NOPI may need to do a big overhaul.

Mike- I know such shops are on a different level compared to NOPI, but the buisness model can be followed. Get a good name out there and the rest follows.

It's not that these shops aren't on the same level. They aren't in the same category. Forged's focus is on a completely different plane than NOPI's. But you're most definitely correct as far as business model goes. And that thinking would apply to every business out there. And NOPI has an advantage to getting their name back up. Their name is 100% out there already. They have that going for them. But it seems in some people's eyes, that may be going against them as well.

I am here to just have a good, level-headed discussion about a local buisness.

Agreed.

Doppelgänger
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, but HIN was a dying trend as well (who could have seen it happening at the time? Hindsight is...).
I think NOPI is overly assiciated with "shows"...which are not where the current trend is. Right now it's "meets"...and the two aren't really different, but there is a clear distinction that comes to mind when you mention a big name meet vs a show. My suggestion to NOPI would be to associate with meets....just getting people together, then see where things go. Maybe instead of the "NOPI NATIONSALS SUPERSHOW" they could try something like "THE NEW NOPI BIG-ASS MEET N' BBQ" lol

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but HIN was a dying trend as well (who could have seen it happening at the time? Hindsight is...).
I think NOPI is overly assiciated with "shows"...which are not where the current trend is. Right now it's "meets"...and the two aren't really different, but there is a clear distinction that comes to mind when you mention a big name meet vs a show. My suggestion to NOPI would be to associate with meets....just getting people together, then see where things go. Maybe instead of the "NOPI NATIONSALS SUPERSHOW" they could try something like "THE NEW NOPI BIG-ASS MEET N' BBQ" lol

Agreed. People don't seem too concerned about paying $75 for a shot at a trophy. Or even $50 or less for that matter. They will, however, spend $10 to attend a meet in a nice sized area and chill and walk around and check shit out. Same you do at a show, just less costing. And trying out some sort of meet might be a good start for NOPI if they want to delve back into that aspect the "scene."

Here is where I don't see that happening, though. NOPI is still a business and businesses exist to make money. I can't see NOPI putting on a meet the size of an IA meet and not trying to charge folks 3,4 even 5 times an IA admission fee.

Nismo
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
i was trying to get myself to go, but...i rather attend the mini z r/c race

Where's there a mini-z race?

Doppelgänger
09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Agreed. People don't seem too concerned about paying $75 for a shot at a trophy. Or even $50 or less for that matter. They will, however, spend $10 to attend a meet in a nice sized area and chill and walk around and check shit out. Same you do at a show, just less costing. And trying out some sort of meet might be a good start for NOPI if they want to delve back into that aspect the "scene."

Here is where I don't see that happening, though. NOPI is still a business and businesses exist to make money. I can't see NOPI putting on a meet the size of an IA meet and not trying to charge folks 3,4 even 5 times an IA admission fee.

Hell, C&O started off as a meet years ago and now has become commercialized with paying vendors and whatnot. Start small...meets on NOPI property (do they still have any physical locations?), move to bigger events. NOPI doesn't have to cover normal operating costs for a meet, just cover the cost of the meet and count any profit as a good day. Sell some sponsor space and maybe display some product on "trendy" cars to show they can compete with the known brands and to show they have today's product. Create a buzz. I see they list the WB's meets and C&O as "sponsored" events on their website...but I didn't even know that until just now. Maybe a meet with their name only?

I've seen one of the guys from NOPI at many of the local meets promoting the NNSS, I understand the footwork of handing out fliers, but they need to go the next step....whatever it may be. I say meets at their main location to get things started.

Sinfix_15
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Sin- People with your opinion might be the most beneficial to this discussion. Clearly that is your impression, but why? Was it price? Parts selection? Availability? It's discussing the problems and impressions that lead to improvement.

I think the import isle at your local autozone and the death of the fiberglass industry is what killed places like NOPI. The reason i never cared for them in the first place is because a ricer shop called PTAP "perfect touch automotive playground" opened up here back in the fast and furious era of autosports and they were pretty much the same thing NOPI was. They had all these different fiberglass wings, hoods and bumpers hanging from the ceiling on display and everything. Being able to walk in and touch the parts with your hands made it obvious that it was all cheap junk. The same cheap junk they had was the same cheap junk that NOPI had. The only reason i remember people ever going to NOPI shows was for the girls in bikinis. For the most part, NOPI offers the same product as the ebay companies and theyre price competitive. Problem is.... a lot of that stuff you can walk in your local autozone and buy. The stuff autozone doesnt carry like the body parts, it's pretty much universal knowledge that its all junk.

The fiberglass market was an unsustainable bubble for companies like NOPI, when it went away, their business suffered. Nothing NOPI offers is unique or exclusive. Theyre just a cheap parts peddler that hires a few strippers every now and then and has a car show. As much as i love strippers...... i'll drive past about 15 parts stores on my way to hooters, i can stop at any of them and buy cheap import accessories.

quickdodge®
09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Hell, C&O started off as a meet years ago and now has become commercialized with paying vendors and whatnot. Start small...meets on NOPI property (do they still have any physical locations?), move to bigger events. NOPI doesn't have to cover normal operating costs for a meet, just cover the cost of the meet and count any profit as a good day. Sell some sponsor space and maybe display some product on "trendy" cars to show they can compete with the known brands and to show they have today's product. Create a buzz. I see they list the WB's meets and C&O as "sponsored" events on their website...but I didn't even know that until just now. Maybe a meet with their name only?

I've seen one of the guys from NOPI at many of the local meets promoting the NNSS, I understand the footwork of handing out fliers, but they need to go the next step....whatever it may be. I say meets at their main location to get things started.

I think NOPI's only main office is in it's same location in Forest Park. They did used to have meets at some of their locations from time to time with the main meet spot being the Snellville store as it was really the only store to have any sort of room. They really couldn't hold meets at their stores, though, because pretty much all their parking lots could only hold a dozen cars at best.

And I get (and am saying the same thing) you when you say they should hold meets like IA does at the same prices that IA charges. I'm saying, though, that I don't see them doing that. I see them not wanting to do anything unless they can make it worth their while.......profitable. You look at Napier and see he charges $10 to go to an IA meet and you can kind of see that he is doing it for the scene. If he makes a little extra, then that's good for him and maybe he deserves it for his efforts. But then you look at NOPI. Being that they are an actual entity, they're going to want to do it for the better of themselves and not necessarily for the better of the scene. They're going to want to charge more and make it a business venture instead of a for the people type ordeal.

1civic
09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
If people have no problem with NOPI taking there money then so be it!

IF they can prove that it's about us "THE PAYING PEOPLE" then I will show some respect..

These people have seen that they can still make money, so they decided to try again!!

It's not rocket science, people are greedy, and that greed will own you, just like it did them before..

Now, I'm sure people will show up, but not because it's NOPI, it will be because their buddy's are going!!

Vteckidd
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
i feel like we have this worthless Nopi conversation ever 6 months. Its all been said before, Nopi is run by guys that are out of touch with what the scene and industry has evolved into. They have no clue, and their show will be a flop.

Sammich
09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Where's there a mini-z race?

in charlotte on the 22nd

SHAUNvX
09-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm going this year with my brothers. I hope it's better than the HIN/NOPI supershow a few years ago.

Bacon
09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
I wish HIN would come back to the GICC. That was good shit.

Major cars shows will never be the same ever again and that's sad. Body kits were replaced by stance, neons were replaced by wire tucks, etc. I wasn't around the scene back in the late 80s to early and mid
90s but I miss the times I was there.

Sent from my Thunderbolt 4G

CHADbee
09-06-2012, 08:20 AM
I hope NOPI does very well, I am not a car show enthusiast by any means, hell I will be at the track instead of their event but I know the scene was a lot better off when they were THE event to be at. I just wish they would trash the neon "glow off" competition and not have so many damn trophies....it makes a lot of people and companies loose respect for the event. Like Mike was saying, they are in dire need of restructuring, I don't want to see them become a stanced out hipster garbage of an event(we have enough of those already) but they do need to tweak quite a few things.

quickdodge®
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't want to see them become a stanced out
event

That's exactly what it's going to be simply because that's where the "scene" is right now. Can't really get around that. If the "scene" was lifting Hondas 4 foot in the air at the time of NOPI's bigger events, that's what the show then would be. NOPI can't help that part.

RL...
09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
There are many events like IA, wekfest, etc...that have taken Nopi's role as a facilitator of car events. I'd rather have a wekfest car event here than the nopi event coming up.

I'd rather go to a forged/z1/import atlanta/garage zero/import alliance/HIN/southrnfrsh event than nopi. Nopi is literally at the bottom of the list for me as far as "what events I want to go to."

quickdodge®
09-06-2012, 06:26 PM
There are many events like IA, wekfest, etc...that have taken Nopi's role as a facilitator of car events. I'd rather have a wekfest car event here than the nopi event coming up.

I'd rather go to a forged/z1/import atlanta/garage zero/import alliance/HIN/southrnfrsh event than nopi. Nopi is literally at the bottom of the list for me as far as "what events I want to go to."

To be completely honest, same here.

1civic
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Well we are all different, so I say I like the drag racing aspect.. :)

As for the other stuff I could careless!!

Doppelgänger
09-07-2012, 06:43 AM

You could? Good to know.

As for what RL said- I wonder how you would feel if NOPI had managed to stay on top of the bandwagon....

RandomGuy
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM

That's your opinion, but I do know it'll be fun. I mean drag racing, dope cars, and swimsuit contests. They actually spent some money on DJ's live entertainment and all sorts of giveaways. I think it's a whole lot better than those big ImportAlliance type shows where everyone just looks at each others cookie-cutter cars.

NOPI used to be like an ImportAlliance thing, which was fun back in the day, but this year it's going to be dope. Plus they've been listening to the community again which I respect. I don't know how you can say they're out of touch- they're working directly with many of the key players and actually considering their opinions. Only way to change something you don't like is by being constructive.

My 2 cents. Not that it matters, turnout will be huge and fun will be had. IA has a booth there too!

RandomGuy
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Dude it's going to be fun. No bull

ECMgarrett
09-07-2012, 05:08 PM
First post here in years
Just wanted to get on to see how the locals felt about this

I've been to three Nationals, and one or two of the regional show/races ( I think its two, its been a few years)

Im coming down.
I always enjoyed seeing the cars, and while Im not into the car scene anymore, it still interests me
And with them having drag bikes - it gives me a place to come and run for free.
ATL is a great track, ran there with the Harley drags four years and had some success ($) there.
At $35 bucks for two days it is well worth the four hour drive for me

I think I'll keep the dragbike at home for this and bring my street bike, Buell 1125R

Looking forward to seeing yalls cars, aint been to a ImportAtlanta event since the 2006 Drift Fury (by the way, I took tons of pics at that, if you were there drifting or showing and want pics of your car, let me know via PM and I'll email them to you)

RL...
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about the atlanta based nopi events for the past several years. The event coming up maybe awesome, but Im going to pass on this one. It's like when a movie is about to come out that you want to see, but you have doubts about it being good, so you wait until your friends see it and give you feedback. Well thats what Im doing. lol If I hear good things Ill come out next year, but the last few events were so bad I don't want to waste my time otherwise.

For me, my favorite events/meets, have been the local meets like forged dyno days, southrnfresh, z1 motorsports, zen motors meet, tunerfest, etc...way better than even IA etc...

The cool thing about IA is that going out of town is fun b/c its a different environment to chill, packing out a hotel with modified cars and drunk ppl is fun, and the cruise to and from is fun.

Slow Motion
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Not sure what is going to happen with NOPI, but I hope they can bounce back. I went to my first NOPI show when I was 6, thats 1989 for the kiddies out there. It was amazing. It took a while to get there but, man. I can't remember everything about it but, I do remember the feeling.

Julio
09-21-2012, 07:40 PM
We will find out this weekend.. The best Nopi Ive been to was in 2001. Oh yeah.. Party, alcohol, sold out hotels, naked chicks and dudes..People jumping in the pool naked... Police + Helicopters, orgies.. Black eyes.. This was the Year Importatlanta started so you can imagine.. And oh my yes.. All I can remember is a Blur... ha ! Epic..

Julio
09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
That's your opinion, but I do know it'll be fun. I mean drag racing, dope cars, and swimsuit contests. They actually spent some money on DJ's live entertainment and all sorts of giveaways. I think it's a whole lot better than those big ImportAlliance type shows where everyone just looks at each others cookie-cutter cars.

NOPI used to be like an ImportAlliance thing, which was fun back in the day, but this year it's going to be dope. Plus they've been listening to the community again which I respect. I don't know how you can say they're out of touch- they're working directly with many of the key players and actually considering their opinions. Only way to change something you don't like is by being constructive.

My 2 cents. Not that it matters, turnout will be huge and fun will be had. IA has a booth there too!

I beg to difer... ImportAlliance has never and probably will not match the old Nopi Nat shows.. Only car event I can compare to the Nats was the show in Carlile, PA.. Nuts.. Shit, Nopi Pigeon Forge was bananas too..

Wish Nopi the best this weekend.

B18c1Turboed
09-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Pigeon forge wow those where the best!

UpSideDownDesi
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
It seems to be pretty popular. Currently All vendors spots are sold out at NOPI Nationals.

RL...
09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
we'll see after this weekend how it goes...

-EnVus-
09-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I got offered FREE Tickets and still said "Its not worth my time and Gas"

tnomud
09-22-2012, 01:18 AM
I got offered FREE Tickets and still said "Its not worth my time and Gas"

It will never be what it was back in the day (pre 2002). The scene is a fraction of what it was, the manufacturers have dissolved, and what is left is:

1.) Bottom Feeders with junk cars
2.) Good Niche Markets (EVO Guys, Miata Guys, STance Guys, Etc.)

It was huge back in the day, but most have moved on to other things. There simply isn't a financial pull that was there 10-15 years ago. The economy is soft, gas is nuts, and cops/emissions/laws/overpriced parts/junk China parts make it too much of a hassle to be worth the effort. Besides, when the NOPI show was huge, it was the only show of its kind/caliber. Now there are Drift events, SCCA/NASA events, and dozens of others. I simply don't see it taking off, but I can respect the effort to some degree. The money just isnt there.

CHADbee
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
No bullshit, I had a lot of fun today at NOPI. In my opinion this was a very refreshing event, I saw everything from riced out widebody ugly "whatever" to a doublesided Civic, to twin turbo Viper, to mid 9 second GT500, to MINT old school muscle cars....the hydro event was soooo badass! The music gave off a great vibe for the day. Had lots of very cool venders with some great products and cars on display. I wish it was as large as it was 10 years ago, but regardless I had a blast....I'm glad I decided to go last minute, I really am.

RL...
09-22-2012, 07:28 PM
The event was pretty good. I liked how we could hang out in the meet area, then make passes down the 1/4 miles, hang out, race, etc...

I learned that I am not good at driving my car. lol I left VDC on for 2 passes, and missed 2nd on another pass. lol fail.

slimx554
09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I went to NOPI and it wasnt a bad experience. I have to say the drag track made all the difference. Its not what it used to be but Im not the first person to state the obvious. It was free of Henry Co. jerk cops which anyone who attended AMS nationals in the previous years. I showed a NOPI and IA some love and looked at some cool cars and some busted cars. Good day.

RL...
09-22-2012, 09:06 PM
It was more like a big car meet with drag racing and vendors, than like nopi nats from 6 years ago. It was different. I may even go tomorrow.

quickdodge®
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
It was free of Henry Co. jerk cops which anyone who attended AMS nationals in the previous years.

Don't do anything stupid and they won't be "jerks." I never had issues with Henry County.

CHADbee
09-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I took a few pics today....like 15 or something. Enjoy....or don't...whatever.

CHADBEE PHOTOGRAPHY: NOPI Nationals 2012….is it back?!? « CHADBEE'S BLOG (http://chadbeephotography.com/blog/2012/09/22/chadbee-photography-nopi-nationals-2012-is-it-back/)

quickdodge®
09-22-2012, 09:41 PM
....is it back?!?

I don't mean to sound mean, but I think the answer will be no. And I'm not basing this on personal feelings of NOPI shows as far as the days I enjoyed, but more on the later years of the show from 1999 to the mid 2000s when it seemed to be at it's peak, quantity wise. From the last one they had two years ago to what I've heard about this year's (so far), it just isn't there. I'm not saying this steadfastly because I wasn't there this year. This is just my feeling judging by my attendance at the last one, two years ago, and what I've seen/heard of this year's. In my opinion, it's not back and it won't be back......to what it was for folks a decade ago.

Like I said, I'm not saying this as a bash to NOPI. This is just my gut feeling.

CHADbee
09-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't mean to sound mean, but I think the answer will be no. And I'm not basing this on personal feelings of NOPI shows as far as the days I enjoyed, but more on the later years of the show from 1999 to the mid 2000s when it seemed to be at it's peak, quantity wise. From the last one they had two years ago to what I've heard about this year's (so far), it just isn't there. I'm not saying this steadfastly because I wasn't there this year. This is just my feeling judging by my attendance at the last one, two years ago, and what I've seen/heard of this year's. In my opinion, it's not back and it won't be back......to what it was for folks a decade ago.

Like I said, I'm not saying this as a bash to NOPI. This is just my gut feeling.

Oh its nooooo where near what it was when I started attending(early 00's). Honestly, this event was much larger and better than the last one when they paired with HIN....you were there, we hung out in the ********** booth haha. It was better than that, but still 1/6th the size of the last real Nats in 2005, I think it was.

CHADbee
09-22-2012, 09:45 PM
LOL IA stars out ImportZ1ne

slimx554
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
It was free of Henry Co. jerk cops which anyone who attended AMS nationals in the previous years.

Don't do anything stupid and they won't be "jerks." I never had issues with Henry County.

Its not todays cops but back in the late 90s early 2000s. They were pulling over anyone who did any mods to their cars. I never give a reason to pull me over.

quickdodge®
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Its not todays cops but back in the late 90s early 2000s. They were pulling over anyone who did any mods to their cars. I never give a reason to pull me over.

I wasn't talking about today's cops, either.

Julio
09-22-2012, 10:13 PM

RandomGuy
09-22-2012, 10:16 PM
We had a lot of fun, a lot of familiar faces and met a lot of cool new folks:

http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-6.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-5.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-2.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-8.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-4.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-3.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-7.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-1-2.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-3.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-4.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-5.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-6.jpg
http://www.vector404.com/up/IA/nopi1/nopi-7.jpg

RL...
09-22-2012, 10:35 PM
QD, I have a feeling that your idea of quality if very very different from the majority's view of quality. There's nothing wrong with being on the other side of the status quo, but it seems you have a differing perspective on a fundamental level. You have an old japanese car that you're trying to restore to stock condition, cool. But most people are taking their newer civic, and making it less stock(and ricing it out). lol I'm not saying either goal is right or wrong just very different, and that perhaps the scene has evolved(or devolved?) in such a way that it's no longer relevant to you.

quickdodge®
09-22-2012, 10:52 PM
quality

This single word nullified your entire post, lolol.

tnomud
09-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Yeah, I think 2001 was the last good year for this event. It has nothing to do with NOPI, its simply a numbers situation. The market just isnt as big as it was 10 years ago. Gas was $1.50 a gallon, so it drew people from 500+ miles away.

It's good to see that there was a decent turnout. I think combining racing/shows together is good, it exposes people to the other side.

03RCode
09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
We had a blast. The USACi show was REALLY unorganized, but our Tahoe drew a pretty good crowd most of the weekend. Got some sweet hairtrick and demo videos, got to see some nice cars, and some good racing. I'll definitely go next year if they do another.

Echonova
09-23-2012, 07:56 PM
I got there waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy late today and missed damn near everything. But the short time I was there I had a blast. Saw several guys I hadn't seen in years... Was like it was 1999 all over again.

03RCode
09-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I got there waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy late today and missed damn near everything. But the short time I was there I had a blast. Saw several guys I hadn't seen in years... Was like it was 1999 all over again.

Miles and myself were curious yesterday if you were there. I rolled out today right after the audio awards, he was still there. Did you run into him?

Echonova
09-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Echo circa 1998...

Still boss (Before the Wings West was color matched with the rest of the car) Sorry for the shitty quality, but this is a picture of a picture since I didn't have a digital camera back then.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/f135c243.jpg

Echonova
09-23-2012, 08:07 PM
But yeah... I was still faster then, than most of you broke-ass bitches are today.

Slow
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/Echonova3/1d7c90da.jpg

Faster
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/Echonova3/5004f89b.jpg

Fastest (guess what not hooked up item yet the highlighted line goes to). If you guessed Nitrous, YOU WIN!!!!!
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/Echonova3/Untitled.jpg

Bitches betta recognize....
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/Echonova3/c6d7c281.jpg

Echonova
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Miles and myself were curious yesterday if you were there. I rolled out today right after the audio awards, he was still there. Did you run into him?Nope. Wish I would have. Haven't seen Miles since Road Atlanta last year.

He completes me.

03RCode
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Nope. Wish I would have. Haven't seen Miles since Road Atlanta last year.

He completes me.

He was around us most of the day Saturday, today he didn't show up till 1ish, and was just driving around in his golf cart ackn uh f00.

Echonova
09-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I couldn't go at all Saturday due to some personal issues... Wish I could have.

ECMgarrett
09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Just got home a short bit ago from this
I had a great time.
It wasnt anything like the old Nopi shows, but thats ok
Turnout, to me, seemed low, lots of open area at the track
But it was nice seeing so many get out there and get on the track

Saw some awesome stuff, and saw the same ole shit from years ago (stock engine crx with HUGE alum wing on the back and ram air intake, or painted interiors...when did anyone think hunter green and yellow went great together???)

It was nice meeting you Hassan, thanks for the tee and sticker

I had a blast and made some new friends

Hope that they have it again next year!

stretch
09-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I understand why everyone is timid about nopi, I get it. But I went there both days and I must say, this event had a LOT of potential. They have the right idea, be they are not up to the times as far as the scene is concerned. They need to cater to every aspect of the event differently. The emphasis was a bit one sided and the event was a bit jumbled. All in all, if nopi focus on the event and the sport a little more than their own pockets, this can be the biggest yearly event in ATL......... Just my .02