PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a 2000 GTI 1.8t - Need advice.

MR. 200SX
09-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm going to go check this car out tomorrow. 2000 GTI 1.8t, manual, 148,XXXX. I'm mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on VW's before. Anything I need to focus on? Also, the owner mention to have a flashing AIRBAG light, would this be an issue regarding emission testing on the vw's. On the good side he mention that all suspension parts have been replaced with aftermarket ones.

Help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

1civic
09-01-2012, 12:12 PM
VW just cost a little more to repair.. Focus on the Miles, and service records!!

See if the turbo, water pump, timing belt, or clutch has been replace, it's all over due..

Had problems with my turbo on my 01 at like 160K, clutch went to slipping after the replacement turbo, then water pump, and car later died after head gasket popped at 172K...

Takes a little patience to work on them, but it's not hard, just grab all the odd ball tools..lol

Air bag will not effect emissions, but take a scanner to pull codes!

MR. 200SX
09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
VW just cost a little more to repair.. Focus on the Miles, and service records!!

See if the turbo, water pump, timing belt, or clutch has been replace, it's all over due..

Had problems with my turbo on my 01 at like 160K, clutch went to slipping after the replacement turbo, then water pump, and car later died after head gasket popped at 172K...

Takes a little patience to work on them, but it's not hard, just grab all the odd ball tools..lol

Air bag will not effect emissions, but take a scanner to pull codes!

That's a lot of issues! I'm planning to take my scanner and my engine compression tester.

He mention that the clutch, thermostat, and W/P were replaced a few months ago. We'll see.

fatty
09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
mainly make sure that timing belt has been replaced. 1.8't's are known to have timing belt ussues. and if that goes you can count on paying at least 22+ for repairs. but really make sure he has prove what has been done. if he has no prove to show you just walk away

1civic
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
That's a lot of issues! I'm planning to take my scanner and my engine compression tester.

He mention that the clutch, thermostat, and W/P were replaced a few months ago. We'll see.

The only other problem I remember was the damn windows would fall.. :( It was a recall, VW replace some clips to keep the windows from just falling down.

edit: Again my was an 01

DynamicSound
09-01-2012, 12:38 PM

If you do not have a VagCom scanner then majority of the possible issues will not show on the standard OBD style scanner. For example when I bought my last Audi A4 (same as VW), there was no engine light or codes. When I scanned it with my friends VagCom, 13 codes popped up. If you need to take the car somewhere that has experience for them to let you now, check out SoloMotorsports on Pleasantdale Rd.