PDA

View Full Version : School Me on Re-Threading a Hole

Elbow
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I need to re-thread a stripped bolt hole.

I've read about "Helicoil" and tap and die sets, I'm not sure how they work or what I need though.

Do all require new drilling? It's in a tight spot so getting a drill down there will be tough, specifically getting it down there and drilling straight.

1civic
08-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Depends on the damaged hole, and it's purpose..

Cast, or alum?

Example: Head-bolt hole would require a time-sert, so would a mount hole, it's much stronger than a heli-coil..

Elbow
08-29-2012, 06:02 PM
It's on a rotary, not sure what it's made of but can find out it's on the front cover, it's one of the holes for the oil metering pump, I was blocking it off, got the plate on and the lower bolt just ate the thread right out, the upper bolt was fine.

tdurr
08-29-2012, 07:23 PM
u should be able to helicoil it. you just have to drill the hole the same size as the helicoil and it comes with a threadding tool and.... just read the instructions its easy haha.

Elbow
08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah it's just the drilling I'm worried about. lol Tight fit, I'll give it a shot though, thanks!

1civic
08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah it's just the drilling I'm worried about. lol Tight fit, I'll give it a shot though, thanks!

They make angle drills.. Link: Amazon.com: Right-Angle Drils (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=552806)