PDA

View Full Version : Fresh build with HIGH oil pressure at idle!!!!!

stealth1
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
I have recently built a d16.....i have all the z6 bottom end (rotating assemble) yet the oil pump is a y8 (because it is a y8 block).... I am concered that my oil pressure is too high. During cold start up it is right at 80psi and when it gets down to a warm idle it is at 30psi. This just seems alittle too high, my others were around 20psi. My roomate suggested that it may just need to be broken in with some miles on the motor, it only has 5miles on the motor and about 20min idle time when i first started it. I have already changed the oil once since the intial idle time and was going to change it again around 100miles. My question is does this seem normal? because i did port the oil pump (did not shim it) and it seems just too high for me maybe i am just paranoid. any help would be great....this is not my first d16 build however it is my first time using the y8 block and oil pump on a build and i have read that it doesnt flow oil as well as the z6 that is why the majority of the y8 spin bearings.

EmminoDaGreat
08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
what where the bearing clearances?

stealth1
08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
i dont remember off the top of my head but i did write them down,I will check when i get home. I know they are ACL race bearings which shouldnt matter, as they havent in the past. I am wondering if i ported the oil pump too much, i dont think that would be the problem :thinking: