PDA

View Full Version : Steering shake

1MP0RTL0V3R
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
While on my way to the bank the morning I realized my steering wheel started shaking as if the wheel was loose. I pulled into a parking lot and checked the lug nuts, they where all tight even when I used my 4 way. When I started driving it didn't do it again but about a mile down the road it started again and I stopped giving my car gas and the wheel stopped shaking and also I realized every once in a while it starts clicking like it was my CV axle but it doesn't do it all the time. I was hoping someone had an idea of what could be causing this problem as I am stumped on what it could be.

Scotsman
08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
does it shake at all speeds or only at certain mph?

1MP0RTL0V3R
08-24-2012, 08:47 PM
At all speeds, and I forgot to mention its a 96 civic cx.

CSquared
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I've seen a bad cv cause shaking under acceleration. Combined with the clicking...

quickdodgeŽ
08-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I believe a bad steer tire or even brakes can be a cause to steering wheel shake as well. Check your steer tires to make sure they aren't bald or have tread showing through. Later, QD.

Scotsman
08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
best thing is to jack up the front end , remove both tires and inspect all front suspension , check to see if axles boots are torn , check for loose tie rods , also as QD mentioned , check the tires

Sir_Christopher
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
tires could be unbalanced, especially if it has tape weight on them.

CSquared
08-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Ive had tires that were almost completely unbalanced and you didnt feel a shake until 40ish... plus that wouldn't be intermittent at a constant speed. i have seen a broken belt (in tire) cause wobble even at 5 mph, but that usually feels like the apocalypse and again wouldn't be intermittent.

Only other suggestion i think makes sense was checking your suspension. Bushings, balljoints and so on.

quickdodgeŽ
08-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Ive had tires that were almost completely unbalanced and you didnt feel a shake until 40ish... plus that wouldn't be intermittent at a constant speed. i have seen a broken belt (in tire) cause wobble even at 5 mph, but that usually feels like the apocalypse and again wouldn't be intermittent.

I completely disagree. Later, QD.

CSquared
08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
I completely disagree. Later, QD.

Me too.

quickdodgeŽ
08-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Me too.

Not sure what you're talking about, but broken belts and/or separated treads will pretty much always cause steering wheel vibration/shake. Personally, I highly doubt it's suspension related. Later, QD.

CSquared
08-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Not sure what you're talking about, but broken belts and/or separated treads will pretty much always cause steering wheel vibration/shake. Personally, I highly doubt it's suspension related. Later, QD.

But broken belts would be constant... even minor belt breaks ive felt at sub 10mph. Op indicated that it "stopped and started again one mile down the road". Balance i could see if he went 60-30-60(mph) within that mile (but i specifically qualified that balance didn't make sense if he was at a constant speed).

That was the point i was trying to make.

Get your tires balanced. By far the cheapest fix out of everything mentioned. Its good for your tire life anyway and they will point out any out of round tires. If it fixes the shaking... bonus.

quickdodgeŽ
08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
The cheapest route would be just to look at your tires to see if they have tread showing through or if wires are broken. Then, obviously, if you do have tread showing, you'd get new tires AND have them balanced. If the tires look to be in good shape, then having them checked for balance would be the next step. Later, QD.