PDA

View Full Version : Starter issue ???

-EnVus-
08-23-2012, 11:46 PM
2002 Mitsubishi Galant started to have issues last week thought the engine was locked up. I tried to start it and all I got was a clicking sound.
I then tried turning the crank with a socket to see if it was locked and it spun fine. Then I tried cranking the car and it started up fine.
Wellllll Today I go out and try starting the car and all it does is click once again and yes the battery is fine.
So since I don't have to tools or time at the moment to fix i will have to have a shop repair it. I just wanna make sure it sounds like it is the Starter gone bad before I go wasting money....Opinions ????

Scotsman
08-24-2012, 05:26 AM
how do you know the battery is fine? did you take it up to get tested? just because the lights come on , doesnt mean it have enough cold cranking amps , take the starter and battery up to Advance and have them check both before you cart it up to the shop

Echonova
08-24-2012, 06:21 AM
yup yup

-EnVus-
08-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Starter is still on the car cause i cant get to it to take it off. I just took the battery today and got it tested it was good but i got a new battery while I was there anyways and still same issue.

Scotsman
08-24-2012, 06:45 PM
wait you bought a new battery , when the old tested good ? SMH , have you checked all grounds and the wires going to the starter?

-EnVus-
08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah We needed another battery for another car anyways. I have looked at them and they all appear fine fro what see.

Scotsman
08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
you need to get it off and have it tested

kevint2
08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.On your car is it build in to the starter...replace the Starter and you will be good to go...