PDA

View Full Version : Another LS1 Powered s2000

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi guys,

Figured I would share my project car. Some of you may know my good friend xyster. The pictures of his current project can be seen in an earlier post.

At some point we decided it would be a good idea to start 2 project cars at once. Not sure what we were thinking. http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/style_emoticons/default/ponder2.gif

Anyway... below are shots from my installation. Like our other project car, this one is also using an LS1 from an '04 GTO. The car is an '01 with AP2 front/rear bumpers. Purchased it with a blown F20c and have spent a TON of time bringing the car back up to 'snuff after having a rough life to this point.

Enjoy the pics! You can see it in person at NOPI in September.

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
More pics...

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 06:41 PM
More pics...

tuyen
08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Very nice monster

SHHHH
08-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Looks to be one fun car when its finished :goodjob:

integra23
08-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Very nicely done. Hope to see the finished product.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Boosting EG
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
wow

WhiteAccord
08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Could be a nice track car.

MachNU
08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Are the same guy I always saw up at Hunters?

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Are the same guy I always saw up at Hunters?

Same guy(s), different cars. That blue one was sold last year. Chris actually has our ECU's right now. Great guy. :goodjob:

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Could be a nice track car.

Exactly what started the idea. We like to run HPDE's and wanted more power from the s2000 without loosing reliability (boost) and retaining handling. This swap is the best combination we have found.

If you search YouTube you can see one of our videos from a Darkside event at Roebling with the original swapped s2000 (now sold).

manilikecars
08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
You guys do some clean work. I'm highly impressed with both cars.

11psiGSR
08-19-2012, 08:24 PM
You guys do some clean work. I'm highly impressed with both cars.

Much appreciated!

green91
08-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Im intrigued by the engine mounts, looks like plates that bolt on the front of the heads and then onto the brackets welded on to the frame?

Regardless this is a sick swap in a fantastic chassis and looks like great work being done.

CHADbee
08-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm also interested in the mounts, with just solid plates like that how is the driveability of the car? Either way, I love the LS2k's! Keep up the good work guys and I hope to see you guys on track next year.

quickdodgeŽ
08-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I guess I'll be the odd man out and voice that I don't like it.

But that's just me and not to take away from the work that's being done. Later, QD.

green91
08-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Driveability aside, im more interested in the effect of having not only the engine hanging weight but also rotational torque applied though the heads & head bolts. I've never seen a design that didnt use the block mounting locations

RL...
08-19-2012, 09:47 PM
thats awesome..I wish my G had a v8 in it!

down_shift
08-19-2012, 10:07 PM
any clearance issues with the trans?

dragoncelica
08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
That is an awesome swap, and a beast turned Honduh

I love it got to be a blast to drive!

1civic
08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks more like an advertisement to me.. What's the cost out the door?

Franco Tirador
08-19-2012, 11:47 PM
you should take QD for a ride when it's done, he may just change his mind

xyster
08-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Driveability aside, im more interested in the effect of having not only the engine hanging weight but also rotational torque applied though the heads & head bolts. I've never seen a design that didnt use the block mounting locations

The plates bolted to the heads dont really cause an issue. The block/heads and motor plates all pretty much keep the motor from twisting. If you look at a LS1 the way to support and install a LS motor is by the factory brackest which are bolted to the heads and if you ever have taken a head off an LS motor you will see like 8 very very large head bolts that hold it to the block.

As far as drivability the LS motors run so smooth to begin with you feel no ill effect from the motor vibration. If you ever get a chance to see one of these in person have it started and let you feel how smooth it is, you would be suprised.

xyster
08-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Dont forget We will be at NOPI so come by our booth and check them out in person.

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
any clearance issues with the trans?

A small amount of "massaging" is required to clear one or two of the sensors on the trans. It's really not that much. Lines up perfectly in the center of our shifter location. Not cutting inside the car at all.

Also note the motor still rests behind the shock towers. Just like Honda intended.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments. We are not trying to "advertise" as someone said in an earlier post. Just a couple of passionate car guys who are proud of our projects. Just like you.

CHADbee
08-20-2012, 08:58 AM
What is funny, with the T56, this most likely gets better highway MPG than the stock Honda version LOLOLOL

Vteckidd
08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Its cool , but of I want an ls1-6 I'll buy a vette.

S2000 is so weak in every aspect .too fragile. Looks like great work though!

1civic
08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
We are not trying to "advertise" as someone said in an earlier post. Just a couple of passionate car guys who are proud of our projects. Just like you.

I'm sure you have other pictures to choose from..LOL

AND

I ask the cost, meaning what did all this cost including the car?

Thanks!

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Its cool , but of I want an ls1-6 I'll buy a vette.

S2000 is so weak in every aspect .too fragile. Looks like great work though!

Oddly enough, I sold my C5 Z06 to complete this project. Nothing against the 'vette. I will likely own one again someday soon. But once you drive one of these, it's pretty freaking intoxicating. Probably the closest I will ever come to driving a real AC Cobra. Then there is the look on the persons face in the lane next to you. That's worth the cost of admission by itself sometimes.

quickdodgeŽ
08-20-2012, 09:29 AM
you should take QD for a ride when it's done, he may just change his mind

I doubt it will change my mind. I'm sure the work is fine and the car will run and all. I've just never been a fan of brand swapping. That's all. No harm, no foul.

We are not trying to "advertise" as someone said in an earlier post. Just a couple of passionate car guys who are proud of our projects. Just like you.

Following almost every post with "check out our booth at" a certain show seems like advertising to me. Before, you wouldn't be able to post that, but now it's all good. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
08-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Im guessing the cost to do this RIGHT is far more than what a C5 Z06 costs? Engine, transmission, labor, wiring, computer, Rear end, axles, driveshaft etc etc etc I cant see someone doing it right for under 20K.

I like this far more than the 2JZ S2Ks for sure. Have any of you tracked against an LSX Powered Miata yet?

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sure you have other pictures to choose from..LOL

AND

I ask the cost, meaning what did all this cost including the car?

Thanks!

That's kind of a personal question to ask... Let's just say it's much less than you probably think.

I didn't own the car beforehand, so I need to factor that cost. If you already own the car, you can do the complete swap for about the same price as a good quality boost build for the f20c/f22. But with better reliability and much more torque... at least IMHO.

I know this swap may not be for everyone. Totally understand. That usually changes with a few seconds in the passenger seat. With LSx motors being so lightweight, the car's balance remains. The last project car weighed in at 70lbs over a stock s2000 without A/C and ABS. This one will probably be closer to 100lbs over since we are retaining both of those.

Thanks again for the positive comments. Hope to get a chance to meet a few of you at NOPI and other local shows.

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Im guessing the cost to do this RIGHT is far more than what a C5 Z06 costs? Engine, transmission, labor, wiring, computer, Rear end, axles, driveshaft etc etc etc I cant see someone doing it right for under 20K.

I like this far more than the 2JZ S2Ks for sure. Have any of you tracked against an LSX Powered Miata yet?

Not even close. Cut that in half and you are closer to reality. I don't have $20k in mine and I had to factor in the price of a car. Purchased with a blown motor but still.

Haven't been up against any LSx Miata's on the track yet. I am sure they would be fairly comparable. I prefer the s2000. That's just me.

And Hi Vteckidd. It's been a while... you know who this is, yes? :D

Vteckidd
08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Not even close. Cut that in half and you are closer to reality. I don't have $20k in mine and I had to factor in the price of a car. Purchased with a blown motor but still.

Considering AP1s beat to hell and back are still $7000-$8000. I dont even know where to find a "shell" from haha Unless you know a guy at Ed Voyles :P

Id think the cost of the car, LSX motorset, mounts, ecu, radiator, you HAVE to beef the rear end up because the stock S2000 will shatter like glass. Im sure YOU yourself can do it cheaper, but if you were doing it for a customer i cannot see it costing less than $20,000 for someone to do it all and do it all right. At the end you would have a $20,000 super car that almost nothing could touch

Haven't been up against any LSx Miata's on the track yet. I am sure they would be fairly comparable. I prefer the s2000. That's just me.
Absolutely, S2000>miata But i know the LSX swap has been done in the miatas for years. I was wondering how they match up car vs car and cost vs cost. Exterior styling id choose the S2000 any day of the week

And Hi Vteckidd. It's been a while... you know who this is, yes? :D
no idea?

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Considering AP1s beat to hell and back are still $7000-$8000. I dont even know where to find a "shell" from haha Unless you know a guy at Ed Voyles :P

Id think the cost of the car, LSX motorset, mounts, ecu, radiator, you HAVE to beef the rear end up because the stock S2000 will shatter like glass. Im sure YOU yourself can do it cheaper, but if you were doing it for a customer i cannot see it costing less than $20,000 for someone to do it all and do it all right. At the end you would have a $20,000 super car that almost nothing could touch

Yep. That is correct. Just saying that if you can do the work yourself, it does not cost near that much. And how did you know about the Ed Voyles thing, or was that just a stab in the dark? ;)

Here's a hint for you. A blast from your past. And yes... I still have it.
Full Race Integra (http://batlground.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=190)

Vteckidd
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Yep. That is correct. Just saying that if you can do the work yourself, it does not cost near that much. And how did you know about the Ed Voyles thing, or was that just a stab in the dark? ;)

Nah i know the guy you bought the shell from. Ed Voyles just inspected my 2004 AP2 i sold, the service guy mentioned he had sold an S2K shell, i put 2+2 together HAHAHA Lucky guess.

Thats a pretty sweet car, not hating at ALL, i think its pretty impressive you guys are doing all that work, just make sure you take a ton of photos. Personally, i think ive gotten to the point where i hate doing that much work LOL. Id love to see the finished one with AC and PS. That would be about a perfect car.

Here's a hint for you. A blast from your past. And yes... I still have it.
Full Race Integra (http://batlground.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=190)
oh wow haha good to hear. Its been awhile. I thought i recognized the screename but wasnt sure.

xyster
08-20-2012, 03:41 PM
This is not the car from Ed Voyles. That car is mine which you can see the build pics on here as well.

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 03:48 PM
This is not the car from Ed Voyles. That car is mine which you can see the build pics on here as well.

This. He purchased his without motor/trans. Mine had a blown motor with a working trans that is now being rebuilt and installed in an AE86 drift car from Tennessee.

Recycling. That's how we roll. :D

Vteckidd
08-20-2012, 03:51 PM

well the guy just said that he had sold a shell to "the guy that does the LS1 swaps in S2000s". I assumed it was one of you two or both. I think you brought one to that Mainstream Tunerfest dyno day few years back.

xyster
08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
well the guy just said that he had sold a shell to "the guy that does the LS1 swaps in S2000s". I assumed it was one of you two or both. I think you brought one to that Mainstream Tunerfest dyno day few years back.

Yes that was mine. It was red at that time but then I painted it blue before it was featured in Modified Magazine.

11psiGSR
08-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes that was mine. It was red at that time but then I painted it blue before it was featured in Modified Magazine.

That car wasn't red. It was red, black and grey. Nicknamed calico. ;)

xyster
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
it was mostly red :)

Deke
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Probably the closest I will ever come to driving a real AC Cobra.

This is the first thing to come to my mind. I bet driving this will be a blast.

Catnip
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Im intrigued by the engine mounts, looks like plates that bolt on the front of the heads and then onto the brackets welded on to the frame?

Regardless this is a sick swap in a fantastic chassis and looks like great work being done.

I'm also interested in the mounts, with just solid plates like that how is the driveability of the car? Either way, I love the LS2k's! Keep up the good work guys and I hope to see you guys on track next year.

They're motor plates. Widely used in drag racing, so they must be pretty strong. No sarcasm intended, I've just never used them myself. Go to any test and tune night or bracket race and you'll see these.

http://www.gregorypage.net/jan02/motor_mounts.jpg

http://www.magnumforce.com/cars/70_superbee_xrt/superbee_17.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss259/Dragzilla/LS%20Coupe/Picture1504.jpg

dragoncelica
08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
I got my own motor plate for my 440 Dodge Dart, and it is bitching,

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CANDUNGO1515/MY%20DART/Picture026.jpg

green91
08-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Ive seen motor plates before, but if you look at the ones youve shown they bolt to the block. This kit is bolted to the HEADS.. thats what i was curious about.

xyster
08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Ive seen motor plates before, but if you look at the ones youve shown they bolt to the block. This kit is bolted to the HEADS.. thats what i was curious about.
Read my previous post about motor plates.

green91
08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
I read it, i appreciate your input. I understand your confidence in the headbolts ability to bear the weight of the engine, but i'll be honest im a bit of a skeptic not having done it myself. The headbolts already have quite a task of maintaining constant pressure from the combustion process and helping keep the headgasket sealed. The added stress of the engine's torque and twisting isn't something they were designed to maintain. But time and testing will be the true indicator, not my educated guessing.

Vteckidd
08-21-2012, 08:51 PM
its probably not ideal but if it works, it works. im not familiar with V8 engines ,but i know the weakest and thinnest part on honda motors is the head, much easier to shear off.

Is there a reason for the heads vs using the block locations? or is it just personal preference?

xyster
08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Using the heads allow for the alternator and AC if you used the block here it would get in the way. Also using the blocks stock mounting points can be done but get in the way as well for headers but it can be done.

silversol
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
As Light as ls1s are compared to other v8s I doubt there will be any issues with the motor plates bolted to the head. Ill bet it will twist the thin s2k frame rails before it damages the engine.

11psiGSR
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
As Light as ls1s are compared to other v8s I doubt there will be any issues with the motor plates bolted to the head. Ill bet it will twist the thin s2k frame rails before it damages the engine.

Yep. You are correct.

We have quite a few these under our belt. Zero have shown weakness to date, even with some serious track thrashing. Including a 700+hp built LS7 swapped monster.

11psiGSR
08-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Busy weekend. Initial test fire last night was a success. Just waiting on driveshaft from DSS. :goodjob:

AV8ter
08-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Killer. No room in the dash for the ABS pump? Where did you get the flex lines for it?

green91
08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like its coming together, looks very happy in there!

11psiGSR
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Killer. No room in the dash for the ABS pump? Where did you get the flex lines for it?

Yes. Actually there is room in the drivers fender for the ABS pump. I didn't go for the "full" tuck on this install. My buddy xyster did. You can see his install in another thread.

Flex lines are from Russell.

11psiGSR
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Looks like its coming together, looks very happy in there!

Thanks! It does look right at home, doesn't it? Kind of amazing when you see it in person. These cars have massive engine bays.

Echonova
08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks! It does look right at home, doesn't it? Kind of amazing when you see it in person. These cars have massive engine bays.It does look at home there.

However, I have to correct a wrong earlier in the thread.

Miata>anything

LSXMiata>even that

11psiGSR
08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Video of test firing. Exhaust going on this weekend. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaF7esAapk&feature=plcp

clumsy_smurf
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
badass man, great build!

11psiGSR
09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
See you at NOPI! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUY5XtjLvA&feature=plcp

Athens_Red_Rexin
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
That's awesome. Great job man.

Dylan
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM
That swap is so awesome. It seems proper for the car, the sound of the engine matches well with the looks of the s2k. Great job overall!

11psiGSR
09-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys. Needless to say, it's a helluva lot of fun to drive.

CHADbee
09-23-2012, 10:28 AM
It was good to meet you guys yesterday at NOPI. The cars look great and I hope we can work together in the future on some magazine features.

-Chad
Chadbee Photography

xyster
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
just some updated pics and video.

http://www.importmuscle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Jason_1.jpg
http://www.importmuscle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Jason_2.jpg
http://www.importmuscle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Jason_3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGq4M_Qh9Aw

xyster
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.importmuscle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Nabil_1.jpg