PDA

View Full Version : So we landed on mars...

RandomGuy
08-07-2012, 03:39 AM
I don't watch TV and have been pretty disconnected today, so I'm just now finding out.

Crazy stuff

Mars landing went 'flawlessly,' scientists say - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/tech/mars-rover-curiosity/index.html)

http://i.imgur.com/HC9I1.png

WhiteAccord
08-07-2012, 04:07 AM
We'v landed on Mars multiple times before.

Elbow
08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
We'v landed on Mars multiple times before.

This. lol

Echonova
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but we've never put something so big or heavy there before. This rover is 1980lbs, the Mars atmosphere is too thin for a parachute to slow it down, but juuuust thick enough to make a rocket powered decent not a viable option. The Sky Crane solution was brilliant, and the fact it worked flawlessly is even more amazing.

georgieboi
08-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Ya remember the part from dumb and dumber when Lloyd saw the article framed on the wall?" Noway! We landed on the moon." Lmao great movie.

ISAtlanta300
08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
"Get your ass to mars.... get your ass to mars....."

They went to look for Turbinium. And for the 3 titted mutant.

blaknoize
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
HELL YEA WE DID, THAT'S AWESOME!!! It's amazing what we can do with money isn't the start and end point of science. If we just let things go as planned or imagined we could save our own lives.

BanginJimmy
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
HELL YEA WE DID, THAT'S AWESOME!!! It's amazing what we can do with money isn't the start and end point of science. If we just let things go as planned or imagined we could save our own lives.

This is cool and all, but I was more interested in the Voyagers probes that are about to leave our solar system.

Voyager 1 prepares for interstellar space after travelling eleven-billion miles during 35-year journey | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2184398/Voyager-1-prepares-interstellar-space-travelling-billion-miles-35-year-journey.html)

Too bad the probes only have about 8 years worth of battery life left.

C230K
08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
As much as I would love to care about the planets, I just dont, sorry. Its not like we can go live on another planet on our solar system and if we could get there. Thats a very long trip. Its a waste of money, just so some nerds can put a camera on wheels and take pics. Use the telescopes and call it a day.

.blank cd
08-08-2012, 06:14 PM
As much as I would love to care about the planets, I just dont, sorry. Its not like we can go live on another planet on our solar system and if we could get there. Thats a very long trip. Its a waste of money, just so some nerds can put a camera on wheels and take pics. Use the telescopes and call it a day.Scientific advancement man. I'd rather spend 2 billion to know more about our galaxy than 1 billion dropping bombs on brown people. Every. 15. Minutes.

Fact: Things that have come from the money spent on space exploration programs have changed your life.

C230K
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Scientific advancement man. I'd rather spend 2 billion to know more about our galaxy than 1 billion dropping bombs on brown people. Every. 15. Minutes.

Fact: Things that have come from the money spent on space exploration programs have changed your life.

Examples please

Drummerboy
08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Scientific advancement man. I'd rather spend 2 billion to know more about our galaxy than 1 billion dropping bombs on brown people. Every. 15. Minutes.

God man, That got political quick...

.blank cd
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Examples pleaseSome technologies developed by NASA

Everyday Items Developed By NASA - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/everyday-items-developed-by-nasa-2012-8)

God man, That got political quick...It's research money spent by the US, how is it not political? Lol

BanginJimmy
08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
As much as I would love to care about the planets, I just dont, sorry. Its not like we can go live on another planet on our solar system and if we could get there. Thats a very long trip. Its a waste of money, just so some nerds can put a camera on wheels and take pics. Use the telescopes and call it a day.

What NASA is doing now is the first stage in moving beyond this planet.

First its a robot taking pictures. 10 years from now it is a dozen robots assembling a research station. 20 years from now it is robots building a station habitable by man. 50 years from now a full blown, operations colony on Mars.

Space is much like under water in all ways but distance. 75 years ago, during WWII, a Salman class submarine could only dive to about 250ft. A current sub can operate at more than 800 feet (max depth unavailable). The same thinking applies when you look at space and the way to progress.

Elbow
08-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Space travel should never be dropped, it's important, provides results, and knowledge about who we are or what else is out there.

WhiteAccord
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM

The simple minded ones... :gay: