PDA

View Full Version : 89 CRX HF Speedo needle melted off..??

AKAudioINC
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone, so I got a 1989 Honda CRX HF with a D15B VTEC swap. I was driving down the road last week when my speedo needle melted off from the spindle in the gauge cluster.?.?.? I had to continue to drive home when all of the sudden my car proceeded to lose power and shut off. I was able to crank it right back up a few times, although where the spindle for the needle is was glowing bright orange like a push-in car cig lighter. The odometer and the speedo gauge started smoking heavily then slowly began to meltfrom the speedo spindle outward, even when I turned off the ignition switch it wanted to "somewhat kinda run"... I also noticed that the indicator lights in the gauge cluster were partially still illuminated with a slight flicker. When I had spoken to the Auto Electrician he said it seems that my speedo cable may have somehow malfunctioned at the gauge cluster causing it to over heat the circuit board and frying the gauge cluster and draining the car battery. If anyone has had or knows of any options to troubleshoot, repair, or what to replace I would highly appreciate the assistance. Sorry bout the novel I've written, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. :???:

1civic
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
It's a 89 nuff said!!

Replace cabin harness tho...:doh:

slimx554
09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Anytime switch is off and power is still going on there are shorted wires or solder runs.