PDA

View Full Version : Evo "owners" Question

Negrodamus
12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok i am shopping for a 2003-2004 Evo coming from a decent civic. Do you guys have any complaints about the evo, Anything a potential owner should know? I've already "heard" about a nasty tranny and something that happens to the ecu at a 6,000rpm launch....once again "heard" all this. I know for a fact the evo's have a lack of an interior but coming from a civic its not like i was in a world of digital gauges and heated leather seats ya know? Also i'd like to know about mitsubishi in-house financing or some banks that have good intrest rates, low apr, and INSURACE RATES and reputable dealers, the ones that arent asses and dont profile ethnicity etc. Also is there anything i should know about like recalls,faulty electronics and easily breakable interior pieces. So can i have some reviews and advice from some actual owners and not bench racers plz lol.

ct9a gsr
12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
www.EvolutionM.net = your library of information

But since I'm bored...

Evo's have a very stout tranny as long as you're responsible enough to drive the car properly. Stock 5 or 6 spd trannies have been known to take over 600whp of abuse without breaking. This applies to your trasnfer case too... but again, its all about how you drive the car.

Nothing too terribley bad happens on a proper 6,000rpm launch besides wearing down and heating up the clutch. Again, it's all about if you know how to launch the car or not. What you may have heard is that the stock evo clutch can't handle anything more than the stock factory BTQ the motor puts out. Hell, it can barely even handle that.

The interior's fine in my opinion... if you're buying a car with luxorious additions as a main quality you're looking for, obviously an Evo is not your first choice.

Financing completely depends on your credit status. With a 700 or higher credit with big previous credit purchases, you shouldn't have trouble attaining a 5% or lower APR on a used '03/'04 Evo under a 12, 24, 36, or 48 month plan.

Insurance is very different from person to person due to personal and family driving records... hard to quote you on that.

There's no such thing as a reputable Mitsubishi dealersihp in Georgia. In my personal opinion, they're all horrible and won't back up anything with their warranty. They all profile you before you step in the door and assume you're a fk'n idiot comming in with full inentions to rag the shit out of their Evo's with no intentions of purchasing.

There are a shit-ton of TSB's for '03 Evo's and a small few for '04 Evo's. '03 Evo's have a very long list of problems that they came with from the factory... including weak synchros and a mysterious P0300 RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE problem that the stock ECU loves to pull whenever it feels like it (usually around 60mph in higher gears). '04s have much less problems from the factory.

From my personal experience, there hasn't been any fauly electronics or easily breakable interior pieces from the factory.

I'm sure every evo owner has their own list of complaints about their car... and I'm no different. However, different types of complaints are generated by using the car for different purposes. I drag race my evo very oftenly so of course, shit breaks... and the more power you make, the more shit that'll break. If you intend to modify your Evo to make some really nice power and fast passes down the track, stamp this clearly into your head:

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY.

Any other questions? Let me know... or search www.EvolutionM.net

oh btw, '03-'04 Evo8 GSR's, '05 Evo8 GSR's, and '06 Evo9 GSR's are all different. Generally speaking, the newer the generation from those 3, the faster it is when 100% stock and more expensive as well.

Dragonfly5338
12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
X2. Driven daily and raced often. No major problems here. My clutch never went bad on me, although it was on its way out, so I just went ahead and got it replaced.

Charles made a VERY informative post for you, sums it all up nicely. Good job, homo. :goodjob: :D

www.EvolutionM.net = your library of information

But since I'm bored...

Evo's have a very stout tranny as long as you're responsible enough to drive the car properly. Stock 5 or 6 spd trannies have been known to take over 600whp of abuse without breaking. This applies to your trasnfer case too... but again, its all about how you drive the car.

Nothing too terribley bad happens on a proper 6,000rpm launch besides wearing down and heating up the clutch. Again, it's all about if you know how to launch the car or not. What you may have heard is that the stock evo clutch can't handle anything more than the stock factory BTQ the motor puts out. Hell, it can barely even handle that.

The interior's fine in my opinion... if you're buying a car with luxorious additions as a main quality you're looking for, obviously an Evo is not your first choice.

Financing completely depends on your credit status. With a 700 or higher credit with big previous credit purchases, you shouldn't have trouble attaining a 5% or lower APR on a used '03/'04 Evo under a 12, 24, 36, or 48 month plan.

Insurance is very different from person to person due to personal and family driving records... hard to quote you on that.

There's no such thing as a reputable Mitsubishi dealersihp in Georgia. In my personal opinion, they're all horrible and won't back up anything with their warranty. They all profile you before you step in the door and assume you're a fk'n idiot comming in with full inentions to rag the shit out of their Evo's with no intentions of purchasing.

There are a shit-ton of TSB's for '03 Evo's and a small few for '04 Evo's. '03 Evo's have a very long list of problems that they came with from the factory... including weak synchros and a mysterious P0300 RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE problem that the stock ECU loves to pull whenever it feels like it (usually around 60mph in higher gears). '04s have much less problems from the factory.

From my personal experience, there hasn't been any fauly electronics or easily breakable interior pieces from the factory.

I'm sure every evo owner has their own list of complaints about their car... and I'm no different. However, different types of complaints are generated by using the car for different purposes. I drag race my evo very oftenly so of course, shit breaks... and the more power you make, the more shit that'll break. If you intend to modify your Evo to make some really nice power and fast passes down the track, stamp this clearly into your head:

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY.

Any other questions? Let me know... or search www.EvolutionM.net

oh btw, '03-'04 Evo8 GSR's, '05 Evo8 GSR's, and '06 Evo9 GSR's are all different. Generally speaking, the newer the generation from those 3, the faster it is when 100% stock and more expensive as well.

aznevo8
12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
we have seriously had 2 recalls on an 03. 3 if you count the yellow srs airbag sticker for under the hood...lol. you guys know what im talking about. we have had an auxilary fan shorting, and some gasious hole plugged up. the snchro in second varies from driver to driver. i have never had a grind, mash, or squeel of any sort come from my tranny. but i do know plenty of people that have. same thing with that CEL p0300 random multiple cylinder misfire. never happened in my car. but the courtesy lancer car i tray slid with did...lol(dont tell no one). i swear this tranny is very very hard to knock out. its almost if not is the strongest tranny ive seen. mine have withstood 7 grand launches with absolutly no damage to the car.(stock clutch). charles is absolutly correct on everything else. depending on ur age. my insurance is 900 every 6 months being 18 with a HORRIBLE driving record. all i gotta say is the car is worth every penny. ralliart came out with a complete ralliart interior change. ill give you the link to a pic as soon as i can. i wuld kill val just to have this interior. sorry val u know the car comes first..lol hahahahahha jk. nothing on the interior will break. try not to smoke in the car... when i smoked in it, it smelled like a burnt rain forest(not a good smell). but its ok now. the seats are semi- flame retardant just incase u do but do not just go test it out to see if itll burn. lets say i sat on a lit cig and it burned my ass and not the seat.:-)

B16a2 Civic
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
we have seriously had 2 recalls on an 03. 3 if you count the yellow srs airbag sticker for under the hood...lol. you guys know what im talking about. we have had an auxilary fan shorting, and some gasious hole plugged up. the snchro in second varies from driver to driver. i have never had a grind, mash, or squeel of any sort come from my tranny. but i do know plenty of people that have. same thing with that CEL p0300 random multiple cylinder misfire. never happened in my car. but the courtesy lancer car i tray slid with did...lol(dont tell no one). i swear this tranny is very very hard to knock out. its almost if not is the strongest tranny ive seen. mine have withstood 7 grand launches with absolutly no damage to the car.(stock clutch). charles is absolutly correct on everything else. depending on ur age. my insurance is 900 every 6 months being 18 with a HORRIBLE driving record. all i gotta say is the car is worth every penny. ralliart came out with a complete ralliart interior change. ill give you the link to a pic as soon as i can. i wuld kill val just to have this interior. sorry val u know the car comes first..lol hahahahahha jk. nothing on the interior will break. try not to smoke in the car... when i smoked in it, it smelled like a burnt rain forest(not a good smell). but its ok now. the seats are semi- flame retardant just incase u do but do not just go test it out to see if itll burn. lets say i sat on a lit cig and it burned my ass and not the seat.:-)

one question, who is your insurance company, cause i wanna be down Lol...is that full coverage

aznevo8
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
progressive.....do not.. i repeat do not!!!!!!!! go with them. they suck. ok. hahahaha cheap payments but they suck and yes full coverage because im still paying for the car.

B16a2 Civic
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
progressive.....do not.. i repeat do not!!!!!!!! go with them. they suck. ok. hahahaha cheap payments but they suck and yes full coverage because im still paying for the car.

hmmm ok...they suck at paying claims?

Tuan
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
THAT IS CHEAP AS FUK FOR AN EVO

Negrodamus
12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
ct9a gsr and the rest of you guys, thanks for the posts it was very informative.

Tuan
12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Ur welcome

1439/2000
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Why are you launching at 7 grand?

There are better ways to coming off the line hard.

Dragonfly5338
12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Why are you launching at 7 grand?

There are better ways to coming off the line hard.

x2 7k is out of your peak effiency range unless your rev limiter is bumped up to 8k like mine. :goodjob:

aznevo8
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
my stock launch came out out with a 1.7 60 ft time sooo u need to check YO SELF.....lol
not talkin to u val.... u are the all mighty goddess of evos and driving the hell outta them.lol

ANYWAYS i was trying to explain the cars inate ability to handle such harsh conditions. can u quit instigating and go back to telling other people how to drive there car somewhere else. you dont even know how my car performs...so where does it leave you any room to talk about me or my car?

ct9a gsr
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
x2 7k is out of your peak effiency range unless your rev limiter is bumped up to 8k like mine. :goodjob:

Altezza's make you rev only to 8k...

Red tail's make you rev to 5 digit #'s.

^.^.^.^.^.^.^.^

Whenever I have time and am bored enough, I'll make a witty sig pic... dammit.

1439/2000
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
ANYWAYS i was trying to explain the cars inate ability to handle such harsh conditions. can u quit instigating and go back to telling other people how to drive there car somewhere else. you dont even know how my car performs...so where does it leave you any room to talk about me or my car?

lol ok.

So Val agrees but I get flamed....

I think most people would agree but shit get defensive about it.

Dragonfly5338
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
lol ok.

So Val agrees but I get flamed....

I think most people would agree but shit get defensive about it.

bwahaha.. that's because you don't have... the ALTEZZAS!

1439/2000
12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I WISH they made them for my car. I'll try eBay.

aznevo8
12-06-2005, 10:03 PM
i know val and val knows me. esp how i drive. the only reason i said something to you like i said b4 you dont know anything about me.

SilverJester
12-07-2005, 01:47 AM
bumping up your rev limiter won't raise your peak effiency range, at least not by itself. You need a bigger turbo and/or cams. bumping up your rev limiter will only effect your peak effiency range if you have a setup which has not started to drop boost before red line (aka bigger turbo/cams).

Dragonfly5338
12-07-2005, 03:16 AM
bumping up your rev limiter won't raise your peak effiency range, at least not by itself. You need a bigger turbo and/or cams. bumping up your rev limiter will only effect your peak effiency range if you have a setup which has not started to drop boost before red line (aka bigger turbo/cams).

i's got cams! :D

actually with the stock turbo my effiency runs out ~ 7-7.5k or so, so i don't shift at 8k. that's just what my rev limiter is, lol.

SilverJester
12-07-2005, 10:03 AM
i's got cams! :D

actually with the stock turbo my effiency runs out ~ 7-7.5k or so, so i don't shift at 8k. that's just what my rev limiter is, lol.
yeah I know you do...just said that to clear things up. :D So nobosd goes out and ups the rev limiter just for the hell up it.

Isn't the evo limiter set at 7.5k from the factory?

1439/2000
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
i know val and val knows me. esp how i drive. the only reason i said something to you like i said b4 you dont know anything about me.

Oh so because you don't know me, fundamental aspects of a car change.

Dragonfly5338
12-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Jay doesn't wear socks. There. Now you are friends!

SilverJester
12-07-2005, 10:22 AM
yes, that is the way the world goes round...didn't you know?

1439/2000
12-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Jay doesn't wear socks. There. Now you are friends!

I don't wear socks and sure I could use another gangsta friend. i need somebody to steal that silver fc rx-7 from our apartment complex for me!