PDA

View Full Version : Residents fight street racing

5spdfrk
07-16-2012, 10:19 AM
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

Residents along a south metro Atlanta road said they are tired of their area being turned into a makeshift drag strip.

Several YouTube videos show large crowds gathering along Countyline Road on the DeKalb County and Henry County border. Cars line up side-by-side, spinning their tires and then, racing up a hill. Residents said traffic is never blocked off, and they fear someone will get hit.

"You’re not going to have to pull over to let them get by because they are not going to move to let you by," resident Rhonda Williams told Channel 2’s Tony Thomas.

Williams grew up in the area and has several relatives in the neighborhood.

In one YouTube video, a man flashes a wad of money after the race. In another video, a car races side-by-side with another without its headlights on.

Residents said they've called both Henry and Dekalb County police several times over the years, but by the time officers arrive, the racing has usually stopped. They said it doesn’t help that the road falls under both jurisdictions.

"I don't know what we have to do to get this stuff stopped," said Rudolph Shephard.

Channel 2 emailed Dekalb County police asking about the number of complaints they have received about the street racing. A department spokeswoman said she was checking on it.

Article (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/residents-fight-street-racing/nPtXm/)

Video (http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/residents-complaints-about-street-racing-ignored/vcpM8/)

Boosting EG
07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
wow

silversol
07-16-2012, 10:52 AM
yeah i would be pissed about people racing in front of my house too!

Relentless
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
That sucks ! You telling me they can't find a better place to go than racing on a residential street. Smh

Vteckidd
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
LOL what a bunch of piece of shit cars too

Western.
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
They need to get some cop undercover down there, run a couple races, and then bust em with a bunch of cops. That'll get it stopped....at least for a while.

Sir_Christopher
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
they need a speed bump. shouldn't be going over 35 anyways, lol

Relentless
07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
they need a speed bump.
That should definitely do the trick lol.

David88vert
07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Racing there in a neighborhood is completely retarded.

Captain-Obvious™
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Surprised it's not a bunch of Hondas.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
yeah i would be pissed about people racing in front of my house too!

depends on your neighbors i guess..... when i lived outside of the city, there were only about 5 houses on my street, the guy across the street had a chevy2 drag car, the guy to my right had a 67 camaro drag car and the guy beside him had a c4 vette drag car. None of them cared anything about "test runs" on the street. At the time i was in and out of foxbody drag cars.... so outside of catching grief about being a ford man, none of them cared. we didnt line up and race like those idiots.... but id pull out on to the road and do test hits a lot making suspension adjustments and adding ballast weight. I'm not talking like balls out drag passes, but id test launch and do 0-50 pulls, burnouts to heat tires ect... They'd usually sit outside and watch if they were home. Not at night or anytime you wouldnt normaly disturb people with noise.

WhiteAccord
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Whole bunch of dumb fucks....

C230K
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

x2

B18c1Turboed
07-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Park 1 car in the street will stop it also.duh!

silversol
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
depends on your neighbors i guess..... when i lived outside of the city, there were only about 5 houses on my street, the guy across the street had a chevy2 drag car, the guy to my right had a 67 camaro drag car and the guy beside him had a c4 vette drag car. None of them cared anything about "test runs" on the street. At the time i was in and out of foxbody drag cars.... so outside of catching grief about being a ford man, none of them cared. we didnt line up and race like those idiots.... but id pull out on to the road and do test hits a lot making suspension adjustments and adding ballast weight. I'm not talking like balls out drag passes, but id test launch and do 0-50 pulls, burnouts to heat tires ect... They'd usually sit outside and watch if they were home. Not at night or anytime you wouldnt normaly disturb people with noise.

While a agree with you. Im sure they were not doing it a all hours of the night 2pm sure its not a big deal but 2am with no headlights and going up a hill? yeah when i was visiting a buddy in alabama his neighbors would test there dragster from time to time lol

Elbow
07-16-2012, 08:25 PM

LMFAO I hope they do that. Completely SOL.

Doppelgänger
07-17-2012, 06:48 AM
ha ha ha

speedsun
07-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I was just rearended in that county on Sunday on i85. I was traveling home on leave from pensacola to north carolina. A black rsx approached me at a high rate of speed and went around me. Immediately after a silver 4 door integra hit me in the rear bumper. Cops were called and insurance is taking care of the situation but fuck all you stupid ricers. Your car isnt fast, simple. So dont risk lives to win a 150whp race faggots

Catnip
07-18-2012, 07:28 PM
If it's a 2 lane, why not park a car on each side of the road directly across from each other with half of each car in the road. People do this in neighborhoods where people don't race and it's not a problem. Only enough room for 1 car with a bit of room on each side. 2 opposing cars approach, one stops and the other goes... this would prevent side by side racing?

Dylan
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
They need to get some cop undercover down there, run a couple races, and then bust em with a bunch of cops. That'll get it stopped....at least for a while.

What the fuck are you Brian O'Connor or something? :lmfao:

But seriously, I fucking hate street racers! There are drag strips for that which are very prepared to help if anything goes wrong. YOu have to be completely retarded to do that shit on public roads. I could care less if thy wreck their own piece of shit and kill themselves but, if they have someone else in the car with them and wrecked that's another story. They could hit a car with innocent people including children and kill them. Sorry for the rant but, nothing pisses me off more than people trying to race me or seeing two idiots racing through town in their vtec shitboxes.

/rant

Sinfix_15
07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I was just rearended in that county on Sunday on i85. I was traveling home on leave from pensacola to north carolina. A black rsx approached me at a high rate of speed and went around me. Immediately after a silver 4 door integra hit me in the rear bumper. Cops were called and insurance is taking care of the situation but fuck all you stupid ricers. Your car isnt fast, simple. So dont risk lives to win a 150whp race faggots

while i understand your anger and commend you for your colorful and spirited rant against ricers..... you should actually be thankful that the ricers are usually the ones street racing since most of them can race without going too far over the speed limit. Had you of got rear ended by a legitimate car that was racing, you could have been seriously injured.

speedsun
07-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I could have also put my car into the wall at 60. Nobody needs to be racing on streets at 2 pm in the day either way. Empty road at middle of the night, knock yourself out. Its your life and license. Usually high horsepower cars wait til the highway is clear to play. But sitting at a gas station off exit 96 explained a lot of what atl has to offer....

Western.
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone have any updates on this story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

§treet_§peed
07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Idiots lol. I miss it when we used to go to warehouses and run.

5spdfrk
08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

At least three people are facing charges after a late-night crackdown on drag racing on a busy DeKalb County street.

Channel 2 Action News first reported on the growing issue several weeks ago, and Channel 2's Ashley Swann was the only reporter on Moreland Avenue as DeKalb officers made arrests Sunday night.

“Oftentimes, what they do is they stop traffic on Moreland Avenue as well as on 285, so it’s a massive traffic problem that has the potential for fatalities and a host of other issues,” DeKalb police Lt. Dane Cunningham told Swann.

He said hundreds of people often gather around a stretch of Moreland Avenue near the interstate to participate in and watch the races. One gathering in the area is shown in a YouTube video.

The activity has led to repeated calls from residents about the dangerous road conditions and reports of gunfire.

Officers are working to stop the activity, even using a police helicopter in Sunday’s crackdown.

“We didn't make anywhere near as many arrests as we would've like, but basically it was a deterrent that we plan on going forward,” Cunningham said.

Two of the arestees were charged with reckless driving, and another was charged with curfew violation.

Link (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/3-arrested-drag-racing-crackdown/nQBwh/)

SP33D FREAK
08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Lol charged with curfew violation? Wtf was he 16? Lol

scarimports
08-06-2012, 11:15 PM
We had this a few years ago around where i live.

'Boy racers' banned from county

The injunction prevents drivers from racing

A county council in the East Midlands has banned all so-called "boy racers" from its roads following complaints about noise and anti-social behaviour.
Nottinghamshire County Council and Nottinghamshire Police applied for the injunction from the county court.

The injunction prevents five or more vehicles from "congregating, driving in convoy, or racing" in the county.

The council said the move followed hundreds of complaints about noise and anti-social behaviour of drivers.

A similar injunction was obtained by Nottingham City Council in 2006 which applied to the city.

The injunction carries a maximum two year jail sentence for anyone found breaching the order.

It will remain in place for two years and then be reviewed.

The injunction is aimed at drivers of modified cars who race or "cruise" at impromptu rallies.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Nottinghamshire | 'Boy racers' banned from county (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/6756403.stm)