PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 Acura TL-S (and the emotionally exaggerated love story of how we met)

Schugg
07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
It's been a long time since I've been here! I do not really have many car friends since joining the military in 2007, but I'm currently in the desert and figured I'de come around here to share my most recent buy (few months before I left texas in january to come here), and because texas isn't really as much of a fan of imports. At the time of purchase I could only find about 6 TL's for sale in america listed on various parts of the internet that met my requirements of being manual, black exterior, black interior, and obviously being a Type-S. The closest one was in St. Louis, and it was also the best deal, that I knew wouldn't last. The problem was I was doing some military training and couldn't take leave to go check it out for at least another month. So I told him I'de get back with him after i got done with training and see if he still had it. The next 3 or 4 days were filled with constant sadness and imagination of the regret i would feel if this car was gone by time i was able to make it there. So I finally called the man back and after getting enough evidence that he and the car were real, through his provided information and info i acquired on my own, I decided I was going to buy it without ever seeing it or meeting him. I only requested a decent youtube video of the car, interior and it running, which he gladly provided.

We worked out a deal on the price which involved him setting up getting it delivered to me. after a few weeks of messing with the banks, sending this and that here and there, it was ready to be shipped. he set the appointment up and said it would be picked up from his property in a few days. It felt like an eternity, sitting there waiting, running through every possible "what if" horror story you can think of. Thankfully this man sent me a picture of the day it was picked up while on the delivery truck, and it relieved some of my fear, not all though. I cant remember how long it actually took to be delivered, maybe a week. I just know when I got the call from the truck driver saying "hey I'm parked down the street If your able to come down here and sign for your car delivery." I pretty much dropped everything and started walking, I had to stop and turn around to go get my old skateboard, just so I could get there faster without showing the obvious and overly excited appearance of running. I couldn't see him from my road, but once I made it to the stop sign and could see it sitting on the trailer a little ways down the other road, every bit of risk and all the money I gambled into this internet purchase, was that much closer to being worth it. But being the very paranoid person I am, I still had doubts that something HAD to be wrong with this car, this was too good a deal in comparison to all the others. I finally got up there and he had it down onto the street and handed me the papers and keys. He was probably talking but I doubt I could hear it, It looked perfect, nothing unexpected as far as exterior went, so i got in, only to find more perfection on the inside. I finally got the nerve to start it, still thinking to myself something IS wrong with this car, drove it around going through the gears telling myself its going to at least grind, just so i wouldn't be as disappointed, I thought "every car i buy grinds at least one gear". but it never did, not a single thing wrong with it that would have made me question buying it if i was able to go see it before hand.

After driving older honda's and acura's for almost my whole driving life, all with no a/c, most I couldn't use the radio in, and other random accessories, I didn't know what to do with all these options. I still don't even know half of the things the car is capable of doing. After a few days of driving it around I emailed the guy to let him know I got it. few weeks later after all my speculations of waiting for something to go wrong were proved wrong, I emailed the guy again to tell him i was extremely happy, and that the car was perfect. I imagine he knew this and was probably regretting selling it because I never heard back from him. But thats the ending of how the riskiest purchase I have ever made went more than perfect. I'm thinking maybe mail order bride next? but I shouldn't test my luck anymore. If you made it this far in reading, thanks for reading my pretty sarcastic/emotionally exaggerated, but still true story. I usually dont put this much effort into posts, but it gets pretty boring in the desert, 3 more weeks!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284542_10150321653671142_7899533_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/300464_10150388754886142_67714488_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/307852_10150388754986142_1853048136_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/311619_10150388755131142_1519678454_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/295847_10150440329001142_1388674959_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/383234_10150440329086142_256722107_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/389940_10150440328661142_1070605696_n.jpg

P.S. Shortly after getting the acura, I had to leave my old 93 civic VX at the bar one night when i got drunk. I came back to see the parking lot flooded with his sadness and tears...Needless to say, even though my acura is very nice to have, its reserved mostly for when i have to drive with my daughter. I still drive my old beat up civic (40+ mpg is nice) most of the time. I think maybe i should get it painted to match the acura though.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/293464_10150407679836142_643465092_n.jpg

RsonGt3's
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Wow! Nice find so how much did you end up paying for it? If you don't mind sharing.

Schugg
07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
$23,500 shipped. he also had another acura, it was one of the SUV's, and he said something about payments for both being to much. He sold it to me for very little above what he owed, so I think times may not have been so great and he just wanted out of the payment.

tuyen
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Loved your car, color and manual too. Hard to find. Btw cool story. Any plan for the car.

masanomi3
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Now that's a clean ass car!

Franco Tirador
07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
please start taking care of that dash, mines is cracked bad, nice pickup, these cars are super nice, they have a bunch of crap you dont even need but nice to have none the less, i want me some type-s wheels

Relentless
07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Cool !

RL...
07-05-2012, 11:24 PM
nice, I know how it feels to be searching for a black on black car...it took my a little while to find my G!

Genji-Sama
07-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I heard these were pretty hard to get in manual and it truly is flawless inside and out :goodjob: great find

Schugg
07-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Loved your car, color and manual too. Hard to find. Btw cool story. Any plan for the car.

Thanks anything but manual with black on black wasn't even close to an option! I don’t really have any plans, mostly because there really isn't much I don’t like about it. the biggest thing I can even think of doing to it would be getting all the chrome pieces and emblems smoked, it doesn't have many, but I really do not like chrome, at all! any suggestions on other things?

please start taking care of that dash, mines is cracked bad, nice pickup, these cars are super nice, they have a bunch of crap you don’t even need but nice to have none the less, I want me some type-s wheels

I actually been using a product line that doesn’t leave the glossy, wet appearance. I feel like the guy was probably lying about it actually doing anything, it is the fast wax line of car detailing products. I like it, at least the exterior wax, and tire shine. but I have heard some bad things about them, so I may be switching to something else. I heard meguiars is a pretty good line so I may go with them unless I hear/find something credible saying otherwise before then.

I heard these were pretty hard to get in manual and it truly is flawless inside and out :goodjob: great find

I actually was looking at my old post on here, and it appears the last time I came here was to post a WTB thread for the car, I completely forgot about that. I searched and put wanted ads on almost every corner of the internet, was actually pretty stressful, even before the part of sending a complete stranger a lot of money for something I never looked at and hoping it would actually make it to me

JDMEK18
07-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Nice car! and great story - glad everything worked out for u Sir.

Nerdsrock22
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Let me know if you ever want to sell those wheels. :)

Schugg
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Let me know if you ever want to sell those wheels. :)

haha its pretty likely i will never sell this car or anything from it...!