PDA

View Full Version : Help with AC problem!

bennett1
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Background information:
1994 civic cx
d16z6 motor, auto p28 ecu

I pulled my d15b7 over the weekend to swap in my rebuilt d16z6. Before I pulled the b7, the AC was working great in the car and would only idle low occasionally. When I was swapping in the z6, we left all of the ac components connected to the car and only moved the ac compressor to the side (held it up with a bungee cord). The AC cools to 40 degrees F when the car is at idle and the fan is working properly. The car no longer has the idle drop when the AC is on.

The Problem:
Although the AC is cooling efficiently, when I attempt to press the gas, the car will stall. If I let go of the gas, the car idles fine again. When the engine was revved with the throttle cable, it would almost die, and then rev up. Also, the compressor did squirt out a little bit of the refrigerant on the floor when the car was revved up. When I turn off the AC, the car has no hesitation moving off from a stop and will not stall at all. My father said that the compressor is locking up, but before I put on the AC belt, the compressor was able to spin freely.

I am looking for any input as to what may be the problem (hoping that the compressor is still good). Is it also possible that it may be a ignition timing issue or that the ac belt is too tight? Thank you for any help in advance!

RBS
07-03-2012, 01:20 PM
nowhere in your original post does it state that the car even ran and drove normally, whether with or without AC on. clarify that first

bennett1
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I thought I provided enough. The car runs good with both motors. I always keep up with regular maintenance and the car does not overheat or anything. I also had the alternator checked. Everything on the car is good. The only thing that may be slightly off is the distributor timing, but I will have that fixed by tomorrow.

1civic
07-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Listen to your dad!! He is a wise man.. ;)

bennett1
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
thanks for the input. I was hoping that wasn't the problem.

hondaxpurt
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
also a possibility is you have a blockage in the system, most commonly a expansion valve, and your high side pressure is putting strain on the compressor under throttle. it would be wise to hook up a set of gauges and watch what happens. if the compressor has a pressure relief valve, this may emit excess high side pressure as well. this can cause a little refrigerant to "drip" (actually oil) from the compressor.

bennett1
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
also a possibility is you have a blockage in the system, most commonly a expansion valve, and your high side pressure is putting strain on the compressor under throttle. it would be wise to hook up a set of gauges and watch what happens. if the compressor has a pressure relief valve, this may emit excess high side pressure as well. this can cause a little refrigerant to "drip" (actually oil) from the compressor.

I think I also found another probability. The ignition timing is completely off as of right now and I will have to pull the timing belt. I'm hoping to have this done by sunday and have the motor timed correctly. If this does not work, I will try out your suggestion. Thanks for your input, I think it will be very helpful as well.

bennett1
07-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I finally got around to working on my car. I took of the timing belt and crank pulley to change the front main seal. I noticed that the timing on the cam gear was completely off and I had that adjusted. I reinstalled everything and timed the motor with a timing light, and now the AC works flawlessly! I also checked the compressor, and it was spinning freely before the belt was put back on. Thank you for the inputs!