PDA

View Full Version : mini me idling issues!!!!!! please help

jtaylor61
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
ok guys i need some help......ive built quite a few honda motors in my day, but i have never had this happen and its really starting to piss me off. i recently bought a del sol s (s stands for slllllooooow) and im in the process of building a d16z6 for boost to swap in. but the sol is my daily driver and the 4 horsepower it had at the wheels just wasnt cutting it, so while im building my turbo d i decided to slap on a spare z6 head i had and make a mini me. the car starts fine and drives fine, but idling is a whole different story. it surges, it cant decide whether it wants to idle high or low, sometimes its chillin at like 1500 and sometimes its bouncing back and forth from 500 to 700.....and other times it just sits around 1000. here are the things i have tried: new intake filter, new plugs, new plug wires, new pcv valve, new dizzy cap and rotor, cleaned fitv. there dont seem to be any vacuum leaks anywhere either ive been over and over the whole vacuum system.....i just cant seem to figure out how to get this bad boy to sit at 650 like it should. any ideas? i am leaving for savannah tomorrow and the car is ok to drive but this shit is getting annoying. :???:

Black4DrEK
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Vacuum leak, IACV, timing, TPS...

jtaylor61
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
thx for the ideas. its kinda hard to adjust the timing whenit wont sit at one constant idle though...gonna clean the iacv tonight and rerun all the hoses since if there is a leak i have no idea where from. also gonna clean the throttle body and change that gasket too.

Black4DrEK
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
to check for Vacuum leaks, Spray carb cleaner on all gaskets/hoses... If there is a leak. the idle will DIE down. When I say timing, Make sure your engine is in time correctly. Also the IACV can be bad, Unplug the IACV, see what happends. Do you have and CEL's?

CDangerfield
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Stock idle is 800rpm :p

remove individual vacuum hoses and plug the port with your finger, if it dies down, vacuum leak!

jtaylor61
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
no cels and as far as mechanical timing ie crank and cam at tdc with dizzy button on cylinder 1, thats def right i triple checked that when putting the timing belt on. ill try the carb cleaner thing though! and if i unplug the iacv what should it do? and dangerfield, i could have sworn my chiltons manual said it was 650 for a manual and 750 for an auto, but then again i can be pretty retarded sometimes lol.

Black4DrEK
06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
idle from 600-900 is fine.... If your IACV is not working properly, when unpluged it will not do anything. IF the IACV is good, when unplugged the engine will idle funny..

jtaylor61
06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
gotcha. well hopefully it wont be bad just need a cleaning. and i really appriciate the help