PDA

View Full Version : New Race Car...

Elbow
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Bought a new race car last week, well new to me. I figured I would share. These are from today, it did have numbers/class letters on it but I removed them to redo them and cleaned it up some. Interior will get painted and what not as well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7120/7450368366_4be1423cab_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7450338796_f99d014dee_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7251/7450339562_37898863d4_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7450472258_f805692c05_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7404260692_62bd1bc3d3_z.jpg

00CelicaGT
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Love it, great cars for road racing...

Rhys.
06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Was expecting a gay ass neon... Cool car though

Genji-Sama
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
^^^Lol, me 2. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't a neon* :goodjob:

Edit: dolt

gogriz91
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Man that thing is in great shape.

Elbow
06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Love it, great cars for road racing...

Yeah I've always loved them and have always been a rotary fan boy so it made sense. lol I want to eventually dump the watts linkage as that dampers their handling capabilities but they're still fun either way as I hear. I haven't gotten it on track yet.

I loved the Neon.

^^^Lol, me 2. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't a nissan :goodjob:

Why would it be a Nissan? lol What's wrong with Nissan?

Man that thing is in great shape.

Yeah it's not bad at all, it has been repainted but the body is pretty straight for being a race car and there's no rust on the car that I've found yet. It runs great too.

r_Senik
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
i thought it was a neon...:cry:

Relentless
06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice man, the neon was "cool" but I like this better. You gonna do anything to it engine wise?

JDMDA_1.7
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Love it

quickdodge®
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM

^^^Lol, me 2. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't a neon* :goodjob:

I loved the Neon.

Some people aren't too aware of the Neon's presence on road courses.

But as far as your "new" car goes, I love it. I also love the Mazda in the pics. Later, QD.

Captain-Obvious™
06-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Looks good. Hope it stays running good for you.

Franco Tirador
06-26-2012, 11:55 PM
weren't neons made for racing or something like that??? i liked the neon

quickdodge®
06-27-2012, 12:10 AM

Exactly, sir. Back when I got and started racing my '96, I had applied for the Neon Racing package. Basically a "sponsor" of sorts. I learned then that the Neon actually came about when a design team was approached to build a car specifically for track use. That's why the car was "cheaply" built. It was put together with racing in mind. Lots of plastic and easily removable interior pieces (the whole top of the dash just lifted up and pulled out). No power windows, locks or anything else (some more road built Neons did come with front only power windows). These cars also outperformed every car in its class for several years heading into the new millennium and had higher rated hp numbers as well. Later, QD.

D3UC3S
06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Exactly, sir. Back when I got and started racing my '96, I had applied for the Neon Racing package. Basically a "sponsor" of sorts. I learned then that the Neon actually came about when a design team was approached to build a car specifically for track use. That's why the car was "cheaply" built. It was put together with racing in mind. Lots of plastic and easily removable interior pieces (the whole top of the dash just lifted up and pulled out). No power windows, locks or anything else (some more road built Neons did come with front only power windows). These cars also outperformed every car in its class for several years heading into the new millennium and had higher rated hp numbers as well. Later, QD.

Neons were awesome track cars! I remember you and the neon wayyy back when.

Great Car Simon! If you ever wanna LS swap it, I met the guy who wrote a book on how to do it...Its on amazon! His track car is a grassroots FC with a GM 3600 in it. Cool dude for sure.

Franco Tirador
06-27-2012, 01:34 AM

yeah, a buddy of mine was telling me this same thing, makes sense, i had a customer the other day that had a neon with power front and manual rear windows, i thought someone changed the doors or converted the fronts to power windows or that the customer was confused, i had no idea they came like that from factory. good stuff

Sinfix_15
06-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Now you have something respectable and worthy of being labeled your "race car".

Put a 302 in it!!! easiest swap in the history of humanity is a 1st gen rx7 302.

Sinfix_15
06-27-2012, 03:17 AM

Great Car Simon! If you ever wanna LS swap it, I met the guy who wrote a book on how to do it...Its on amazon! His track car is a grassroots FC with a GM 3600 in it. Cool dude for sure.

Here's how that book reads......

"flip K member around backwards, drill 2 holes, bolt engine in. the end"

Elbow
06-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Nice man, the neon was "cool" but I like this better. You gonna do anything to it engine wise?

Just what's allowed in the class, it currently has a header, full exhaust, not sure what else. I have to read what they allow rotaries to do, but I know you can't port it. Down the road I plan on moving up a class as this class is slowly dying since 12As are extinct now.

Looks good. Hope it stays running good for you.

Thanks!

Yeah they had quite a large racing program. The ACR models came with items for Showroom Stock racing and were pretty much unbeatable for a while. They also had a televised semi-pro series and celebrity series as well. It may be a Neon in most peoples eyes but they would be quite surprised with the cars performance.

Thanks! Sticking with a rotary!

Now you have something respectable and worthy of being labeled your "race car".

Put a 302 in it!!! easiest swap in the history of humanity is a 1st gen rx7 302.

Never! Rotary for the win. lol

tnomud
06-27-2012, 08:05 AM
12 or 13?

I ran a 13 for a while, fun car. I really didnt ever have one problem with it either. I did get popped for noise levels at Nelsons and Waterfor a few times. Even with a good muffler, they car was brutally loud.

Nice Track Car!

(trying my hardest to resist Neon cracks here)

Elbow
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
12 or 13?

I ran a 13 for a while, fun car. I really didnt ever have one problem with it either. I did get popped for noise levels at Nelsons and Waterfor a few times. Even with a good muffler, they car was brutally loud.

Nice Track Car!

(trying my hardest to resist Neon cracks here)

Gotta run the 12a in IT7. It's pretty loud even with the muffler for sure. lol I figure once this engine dies if I can't find another 12a I'll get a 13b and run a higher class, there's a new IT7-R class now as well which is pretty much IT7 rules but with a Renesis motor.

Thanks!

Boosted FC
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Awesome car Simon. Don't listen to anyone telling you to swap a piston engine in there. The 12As last a looooong time.

Elbow
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Awesome car Simon. Don't listen to anyone telling you to swap a piston engine in there. The 12As last a looooong time.

I love rotaries, it won't ever get a piston engine. lol I'd like to keep a 12a in it, but since rotor housings are becoming impossible to find one day it will probably get a 13b.

Boosted FC
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I love rotaries, it won't ever get a piston engine. lol I'd like to keep a 12a in it, but since rotor housings are becoming impossible to find one day it will probably get a 13b.

Yep, 12As are almost extinct. Good luck with the car.

Relentless
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Just what's allowed in the class, it currently has a header, full exhaust, not sure what else. I have to read what they allow rotaries to do, but I know you can't port it. Down the road I plan on moving up a class as this class is slowly dying since 12As are extinct now.l
Gotcha. And goodluck :goodjob:

thegovanator
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice ride Thimon. Glad to hear you are sticking with the rotary.

nelson9995
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I like it. I love how rotaries sound, but can't understand how they work.
Nice car, nonetheless.

Elbow
06-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Sinfix_15
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM

few years ago, you could have found one in my trash can.

Elbow
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
free years ago, you could have found one in my trash can.

Well dang.

I can find many, just hard to find one with good rotor housings. lol They're out there, they just aren't as easy to pickup as say a D series Honda motor.

Sinfix_15
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Well dang.

I can find many, just hard to find one with good rotor housings. lol They're out there, they just aren't as easy to pickup as say a D series Honda motor.

thats probably what id do if i was gonna build a race purpose car like that. stick a stockish honda engine in it. An s2k engine with little to no mods in a 1st gen rx7 would probably be an absolute monster. plus it would be reliable enough to beat the shit out of it all day every day.

but.... thats me. For some reason i always get a hard on for Honda engines turned the "right way"

Elbow
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
thats probably what id do if i was gonna build a race purpose car like that. stick a stockish honda engine in it. An s2k engine with little to no mods in a 1st gen rx7 would probably be an absolute monster. plus it would be reliable enough to beat the shit out of it all day every day.

but.... thats me. For some reason i always get a hard on for Honda engines turned the "right way"

A rotary is reliable enough to beat it to death every day, that's why they make amazing race engines.

That would be anal raped though with the class it would be put in, plus I love the rotary too much to ever put a piston engine in. I'd do a Miata with an S2000 motor though, still get anal raped though.

Sinfix_15
06-28-2012, 12:30 PM
A rotary is reliable enough to beat it to death every day, that's why they make amazing race engines.

That would be anal raped though with the class it would be put in, plus I love the rotary too much to ever put a piston engine in. I'd do a Miata with an S2000 motor though, still get anal raped though.

A rotary will run forever............... if you never turn it off.

Elbow
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
A rotary will run forever............... if you never turn it off.

I don't follow you...lol

Western.
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Awesome car man! I have to say, my understanding of rotary engines is completely.....Zip, zelch, nil, nada, Zero. But good luck with it. And thanks QD for the info on the Neons. I never knew that.

Elbow
06-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks! Rotaries aren't really complicated at all, far less confusing than a piston engine in my opinion.

Drummerboy
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks! Rotaries aren't really complicated at all, far less confusing than a piston engine in my opinion. I (almost) agree. Personally, I understand how the combustion cycle works, but I don't understand how the "crank" (or whatever the rotary equivalent is called) works. And I've seen all these 4 rotor cars, where they say you can just stack 13b's together like legos, but how do they connect the cranks? Love the car simon, Could you get away with running in the IT7-R class if you swapped a turbo II motor in? Still a stock motor, but it has a turbo.

Elbow
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I (almost) agree. Personally, I understand how the combustion cycle works, but I don't understand how the "crank" (or whatever the rotary equivalent is called) works. And I've seen all these 4 rotor cars, where they say you can just stack 13b's together like legos, but how do they connect the cranks? Love the car simon, Could you get away with running in the IT7-R class if you swapped a turbo II motor in? Still a stock motor, but it has a turbo.

I guess you're talking about the eccentric shaft?

http://www.rotorsportsracing.com/images/guru/Assembled_eccentric_shaft_2_2.jpg

Here is a good video of the basics: Rotary Engine - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl2uumlI)

The easiest way to quickly learn how one works is to disassemble one. It's not that serious of a job either. lol

The 4 rotor engines I'm not sure of yet, I think some use two piece shafts. The "home made" ones you see would have to use some sort of custom shaft sleeved to work right or someone sells them. I'm just guessing. I'm really not sure I'm sure another rotary person here knows more than I do about those. I love four rotors though, after The Mitty this year there were a couple four rotor cars out "playing." Music to my ears.

Thanks for the compliment, IT7R allows only the Renesis motor from an RX-8, nothing else. There are classes where you COULD swap a turbo engine in but you'd more than likely be outclassed. I personally prefer NA on a race car as it's less complicated and the heat here can be another issue with making more heat.

dorin48
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
This seems oddly familiar >_>. Nice find man.

Elbow
06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
This seems oddly familiar >_>. Nice find man.

Thanks!

dorin48
06-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Oh, I have some wheels that came off my car I need to sell. Older ones from Keizer Aluminum Wheels : We Expect The Results You Dream About (http://www.keizerwheels.com/)

If you're interested I can send some pics. lmk

Elbow
06-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh, I have some wheels that came off my car I need to sell. Older ones from Keizer Aluminum Wheels : We Expect The Results You Dream About (http://www.keizerwheels.com/)

If you're interested I can send some pics. lmk

What size are they? Shoot me some pics I may be interested, the car came with 6 spare wheels but they're OEM I was just going to use them for rain tires.

gogriz91
07-01-2012, 07:19 AM
So you're going to run it in IT-7 right? Are there any shops or individuals around Atlanta that specialize in 1st and 2nd gen Rx-7s who do race prep work? I just want to go by their shops and look at the cars.

You can get your Mazda racing chubby on today by watching the Rolex series race at Watkins Glen, all 6 hours of it on Speed. I'd swear at least a third of the GT field is RX-8s.

dorin48
07-01-2012, 08:40 AM
They are 13x8, I'll get some pics today.

Elbow
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
So you're going to run it in IT-7 right? Are there any shops or individuals around Atlanta that specialize in 1st and 2nd gen Rx-7s who do race prep work? I just want to go by their shops and look at the cars.

You can get your Mazda racing chubby on today by watching the Rolex series race at Watkins Glen, all 6 hours of it on Speed. I'd swear at least a third of the GT field is RX-8s.

IT-7 for now, the class is dying so eventually it will go somewhere else.

I'm not sure of any shops that specialize in them so to speak, best thing would be to come out to an SCCA race and have a look at what's out there! I missed the GrandAm race I had to work, we've had a few of those testing at RA, typically before the Rolex 24.

They are 13x8, I'll get some pics today.

Cool thanks!