PDA

View Full Version : Sound dampening suggestion

BarnDog296
12-04-2005, 12:02 AM
I installed B-Quiet Extreme in my car recently and I am now looking for a good sound dampener. The one B-Quiet sells is EXPENSIVE as hell! Does anyone know of a decent sound dampener that its as harsh on my wallet as the B-Quiet.

BTW- The B-Quiet Extreme kicked ass!

BanginJimmy
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
if you already dampened your car, what else are you looking for?

redgst97
12-04-2005, 12:22 PM
According to the B-Quite Website:
"B-Quiet® Extreme is a 1.15mm (45mil) thick composite mat which consists of rubberized asphalt with an aluminum constraining layer. When the paper backing is removed the supercharged adhesive surface forms an incredible bond to ensure optimum deadening performance.

Thanks to the aluminum constraining layer and superior adhesive, it can be used on floors, doors, roofs and trunks, but not under hood."

By the nature of the product, it IS a sound Damper. It says that on the website. Aside from being a damper, it also happens to be (more specifically) a"contrained layer" damper. The layer of aluminum acts as part of the "damper" between the metal of the vehcile and the metal of the B-Quiet.

What specifically, are you trying to accomplish? Aside from the "dampening" material you just put in, the other (basic) choice is to add some sort of "absorbtion" material...foams in most cases. Depending on the type/material/thickness of the foam depends on the results. Certain fabics have various acoustical properties as well. Place a t-shirt over a tweeter, and it will effect the sound (not necessarily for the better), but it will effect it. Even something like pantyhose or grill cloth can effect tehe sound of the speaker.

Whats the problem you are trying to fix?

John

BarnDog296
12-05-2005, 09:17 AM
I have a loud exhaust sound in my car, im sorry I confused everyone and used the wrong term. I am looking for a sound absorber. B-quiet offers a good one, but its little too expensive, I will get it if its worth the cost, but i dont know if it is or not... I havent heard anything about their sound absorber. I have a hatchback, so the exhaust sound is even worse b/c there isnt anything stopping the exhaust sound from getting into the car. I have put on 3-layers of B-Quiet Extreme and it did help, but not nearly as much as i want. It was a good first step....

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a good sound "absorber"?

redgst97
12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
No worries on the confusion...Im just trying to make sure I help the best I can...

B_Quite is fairly inexpensive stuff to begin with....not too sure what else to try. I have seen guys use house insulation, egg crate style foam, carpet padding, various foams from a fabric/hobby store, and things of the like. Not wil work quite as well as some of the specific "absorbtion foams" but it all helps.

You might want to look at McMaster-Carr...they have some pretty interesting items. Some chaper, some not so cheap.

Where did you put the 3 layers? just the trunk? the whole car? Just because the exhaust is (basically) unter the trunk, make sure to dampen the rest of the car as well. Typically, the roof is the largest piece of flat metal to a car, and therefore (typically) the easiest to vibreate/resonate...

BanginJimmy
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
b-quiet is about the best you caq find for when you consider dollar to performance. I've had the best experience with dynamat extreme, but it is expensive. You can look into brownbread also. I've heard alot of good things about thier stuff, but I've never used it before.

BarnDog296
12-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I put 1-2 layers throughout the entire car so far (my car right now looks like an oven) But in the trunk I did 3 layers, it still is not nearly enough to stop the sound of the exhaust... If you think B-Quiet is still the best for price, then im goign to go ahead and order some. I am also going to put some sound dampener (like the thinner stuff) on the sides of the car
Thanx for all the help

PS-Brownbread was changed (renamed) to b-quiet extreme, which is what i got :) it is a GREAT product! just dont expect it to stop your exhaust sound completely. your going to NEED a sound absorber also.

redgst97
12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I think Dynamat Extreme is a better product, but it does cost a bit more... Wont an additional resonator make the exhaust a bit more quiet?

Yes, I think you will ahve to go with some foam/absorbers as well. DO NOT expect this to make your car as quiet as it was with the stock exhaust. Not gonna happen. With enough barrier (mat) and absorbtion (foams) you will minimuze the fesonant frequency that the exhaust is creating.

I am guessng that you have reinstalled the factory interrior? The carpet and seats do soak up a lot of noise too...

You might want to try an additional layer of carpet padding...I think you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Not that expensive. I have a full layer of additioanl padding throughtout my car ( and a LOT of other things) and it helped. No 1 single thing will "fix" the issue. Several things will have to be done to fix it.

John

rollininstyle2004
12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Im not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but check out the Ensolite Acoustical Foam that RAAMmat sells: www.raammat.com

BarnDog296
12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
After reading over everything, i think you are right... I am going to have to suk it up and by the B-Quiet L-Comp... I have someone that is going to put on a new Catalytic converter into my car shortly and that will help some, along with putting on a resonator (unfortunately) Then I can get moving onto my other projects, but I cant do these things until I get the exhaust noise down...
Thanx for the help everyone, the feedback has been great.