PDA

View Full Version : Update on my dads car.....

Bacon
06-12-2012, 02:30 PM
.....just spoke with the detective who was assigned to the case. The person that said he bought the car over a year ago provided a receipt of purchase and paid cash. The case was closed as a "dead end".

My dad is out a car he worked his ass off for and a thief gets to walk the streets a free man. I was told to let the authorities handle it and I did. See where that got us?

If the thief or anyone associated with him is on this site, :2up: to you.

Sammich
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
damn that sucks massive ass...insurance at least cut him a check though right?

Bacon
06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
They cut him a check and he bought a CTS.

C230K
06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Police dont do shit and what kind of car did they steal from your dad?

Bacon
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
'04 "Terminator" Cobra.

Bajjani
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
What is the backstory? I missed it.

Bacon
06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Cliff notes...

-my dads car was stolen from his driveway a couple of months ago

-i went and had exhaust work done on my car and found my dads car in the parking lot of the body shop next door.

-car was confirmed as my dads

-guy said he bought it a year prior to this.

-insurance paid my dad off

-guy shows the police a receipt of when he bought it which is bogus and claimed to have a title

That's where we are now.

RandomGuy
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
if you have the title, take it with you to retrieve the car? No?

So you'll have to go to court and prove that it was fraud'd away from you??

Makes no sense, by that time everything of value would probably be stripped off of the car. You gave the thief too much notice, they're probably steps ahead of you scrambling now.

Did you guys not report it stolen and wasn't the title in your dad's name up until you reported it Stolen? How could he have provided sufficient proof to the cop? I say you raise hell until they take action. Or take action yourself and get the car back. If he had the documentation to "prove" it was his, you guys surely have the real deal to back it up should he try to call the cops on you.

RandomGuy
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Also, maybe it'd help to let the insurance company know? (not sure on this, but unfortunately sometimes they fight harder for you than the cops)

Bacon
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
My dad had one more payment left on the car. The car belonged to HSBC bank via the title in their name. The car was reported stolen as soon as it was found to be gone. Insurance paid him off. The title the guy had was a fraudulent title.

RandomGuy
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
My dad had one more payment left on the car. The car belonged to HSBC bank via the title in their name. The car was reported stolen as soon as it was found to be gone. Insurance paid him off. The title the guy had was a fraudulent title.

If the car was never recovered, then it should still technically belong to the insurance company. They'd probably fight for it because they're more money hungry than your average dad and probably have the resources to do so. I'd let them know asap, but check with someone who knows for sure. Maybe they'd offer for him to buy it back much like they do when you salvage a wrecked car?

Bacon
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
The car is at an auction yard right now. Insurance paid my dad off. Maybe i am not following what you are trying to tell me but you are more than welcome to call me and I can explain the whole thing.

frostbyte
06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Had this happen to my 93 bluebird nissan altima... Made me sick... Got pulled over in dallas ga. Was impounded said the tag was suspended. Went to douglas county court house, got proof the tag was indeed good and legal took it to the tow yard, my nissan was not there. Was told the dealer picked it up and it had only been 5 hours. Dealer knew nothing of it i owed them $197.00 thats it. 2 yrs later it showed at nopi show. My buddy sent me a pic via text hot there dude had a bill of sale in alabama for the car (apparently at the time thats all u need in bama) cops let him roll out even though i had title in hand police report of stolen car and reciept of payin the dealer last payment... Thieves suck monkey bawls

Bacon
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
It doesn't help his case that two receipts were found in the magazine pocket on the back of the front seat. Both receipts found had all my parents information on it from repair work done to the car only a couple of months prior to it being stolen. Any argument the guy has of buying it a year beforehand is invalid.

Catnip
06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I understand wanting justice, but if your dad got paid off... he didn't work his ass off to buy the car for nothing. Cars aren't people, there are plenty of other terminators out there.

Bacon
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
He doesn't want another one. Doesn't even want that one back. He is content with the cadillac. It's the principle that a thief gets to walk away with clean hands. Won't be clean for long.

C230K
06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
OJ also walked away from murder

Dylan
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
That's really fucked up but it happens. I once had a car stolen from me and when I contacted the police they told me there was nothing they could do. A few moths later I saw it riding down the road, so i followed it and took the car back when he fled. Police still did nothing, they said it was a civil matter that was already resolved....

-EnVus-
06-13-2012, 12:30 AM
They cut him a check and he bought a CTS.
CTS :(...He betrayed the whole Ford Famry

Sinfix_15
06-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Police are pretty useless unless they catch someone in the act. It seems there's just as many laws if not more to protect criminals than there are for civilians.

Bacon
06-13-2012, 08:01 AM
I will be talking with the DA very soon.

00CelicaGT
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Sucks there was no justice for ur dad, this is why so many people take the law into there own hands. As stated already cops could care less about these things unless the criminal is caught in the act..

Did he buys a CTS- V or just a regular CTS?

Bacon
06-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Regular CTS. I am sure more can be done. They obviously haven't investigated into this hard enough.

Bajjani
06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Okay.

So I just caught back up on this.

Guy shows a fake title to police and says he bought it one year ago, but you guys show the cop receipts still in the car?
You didn't call the insurance company to ask whos name the vehicle (with that vin #) was insured by?
You didn't call the bank to ask who the car loan (with that vin #) was insured by?
You just stood there and said this is bullshit?

Like, all this stuff would have been kind of good information to have, and if nothing else, puts some holes in his "purchased it a year ago" story.
It just seems like the amount of effort into "bringing justice" to this guy has been lackluster.

Bacon
06-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Everything the guy told the cops had holes in it. He never even changed the VIN plate which is where he went wrong. The cops ran the VIN, car came back registered to my dad and also came back as stolen. The title the guy had was an obvious fake as was the receipt but because he showed the detective a receipt of purchase, he got away with it.

Scotsman
06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
OJ also walked away from murdercmon man , the gloves didnt fit

Franco Tirador
06-14-2012, 02:21 AM
just let it go dude, if you know the guys that stole it just let it be, i have learned to control my anger by thinking of the consequences <<yeah i may have not spelled that right), like someone already said, it's just a car, a pretty nice car, but still a car. I seems like your dad got an unfair deal, but what can you do? well you cand do alot of things to get them back but 99.99% of those things will get you in trouble and then you will be thinking later if it was worth it, you may say it's worth it now, but it's really not, im glad your dad likes the cadi, im sure it's more luxury than the stang :)

Bacon
06-14-2012, 04:08 AM
just let it go dude, if you know the guys that stole it just let it be, i have learned to control my anger by thinking of the consequences <<yeah i may have not spelled that right), like someone already said, it's just a car, a pretty nice car, but still a car. I seems like your dad got an unfair deal, but what can you do? well you cand do alot of things to get them back but 99.99% of those things will get you in trouble and then you will be thinking later if it was worth it, you may say it's worth it now, but it's really not, im glad your dad likes the cadi, im sure it's more luxury than the stang :)

I'm not going to personally do anything to anyone. I have a son now and one on the way. My family and my state medical license are not worth risking for jail time. Maybe you overlooked the post where I said I am taking it higher than the investigator and going to the DA of Clayton County to let her handle it.

My dad could care less about the car. The system did not investigate far enough so justice was not served. Have you ever had a car stolen from you or a family member or even a friend? It's not a good feeling. Us automotive enthusiasts work hard for our cars and we love doing it and you are telling me to let it go?

RandomGuy
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Moral of the story:

If you're on a family plan, you can just add a new line for ~10bux usually. Make sure you have basic data which most likely is included. Drop the sim card into one of these:
Amazon.com: Real Time Mini GMS/GPS/GPRS Car Tracker: GPS & Navigation (http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Mini-GPS-Tracker/dp/tech-data/B001FYQO3W/ref=de_a_smtd)
Wire a constant 12V to it and don't worry about it again! You can go further and do some web stuff so you get email or SMS alerts if you want.