PDA

View Full Version : Flyin' Miata???

Munky
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
So i picked up an awesome new toy from a buddy of mine with plenty of goodies and I would like everyone suggestions on parts or upgrades and where to go with it as it stands. I am boosted and running 10psi but have yet to install my MegaSquirt and tune her. but seems like im having a stuck rocker noise and stem seal leaks so im debating on what to do.

on too the prettiness :taun:

Catnip
06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Ah, miss that car. Was fun.

Echonova
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Miata.

A.) Install the Mega-squirt and tune it pronto
B.) Take it to R-Speed for any thing you can't handle maintenance wise.
C.) Enjoy!

Munky
06-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah, miss that car. Was fun.

whaaaaaaa Catnip, it used to be yours!!!!! and sorry about the galant, i am actually trying to convince a buddy about getting it instead so we both can have new toys lol. any advice on more things to do to the miata?

Munky
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Miata.

A.) Install the Mega-squirt and tune it pronto
B.) Take it to R-Speed for any thing you can't handle maintenance wise.
C.) Enjoy!

How did I completely forget you love your Miata Echo! lol i would love any knowlegde you could give me on miatas since i made the right decision to get out of the honda game finally lol

Echonova
06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Depends... What'cha got in it and what are you wanting to do with it?

Performance wise, sounds like you're off to a good start. Does it have LSD? If not get one, otherwise you'll be going in circles and/or off a cliff if the rear-end steps out...

I would raise it a tad, I know it looks cool. But these cars were made to handle, not hard park. Speaking of which, what are you riding on suspension wise?

Get a "Performance" alignment from R-speed... Couldn't believe the difference it made in turn-in, but it's not so aggressive you'll chew through tires either. It's a nice balance.

Munky
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Any easier way for me to contact you Echo so I can tell you everything on the car and what it does and doesnt have?

Catnip
06-03-2012, 11:31 PM
whaaaaaaa Catnip, it used to be yours!!!!! and sorry about the galant, i am actually trying to convince a buddy about getting it instead so we both can have new toys lol. any advice on more things to do to the miata?

I took the picture behind the building, haha.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/36851_106874992695271_7063029_n.jpg

I'd get some stance coilovers if it's not on some already (It was on H&Rs when I got it IIRC).

It's all good on the Galant. If it doesn't sell soon I'll fix the coolant leak, throw the bumper on, find some cheap wheels, and daily it for a bit.

Genji-Sama
06-04-2012, 01:50 AM
This car looks really familiar? Did someone else on here own it before you. :goodjob: Really clean miata either way

AZN_Pride
06-04-2012, 02:50 AM
That was my old miata. I put the decals on there. Have pics to prove it! LOL

Catnip
06-04-2012, 06:28 AM
xdavidscenex turboed it when he had it. It's changed hands quite a few times, lol.

Munky
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Now I feel like I have a whored out car :-( its okay though. I still love it and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

AZN_Pride
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Now I feel like I have a whored out car :-( its okay though. I still love it and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

I miss that car. I want it back lol.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/Sagara09/DSC_0029_20100724123.jpg

Relentless
06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Just dont be like this guy
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9498/jk7jn7uwcuv9vz3urw78w2.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/jk7jn7uwcuv9vz3urw78w2.gif/)

Doppelgänger
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Lifter tick is often fixed by an oil change...and maybe Seafoam. I used to run Rotella 20/50 in my NA. Never had a problem with lifter tick.

teh bri
06-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Loooooooved that car! Was one of my favorites.

DeeAOne
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Yep, its been around. Lolol

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/Yankee4life91/DSC_0203.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/Yankee4life91/DSC_0212.jpg

Munky
06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Lifter tick is often fixed by an oil change...and maybe Seafoam. I used to run Rotella 20/50 in my NA. Never had a problem with lifter tick.

ahhh ive been waiting for you to post lol, i loved your miata since the first day i saw it. if you have any input as for anything i should look out for or do to the miata since it is my first, id love to hear it. pm me pleaseeee lol

Munky
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Loooooooved that car! Was one of my favorites.

what!!! bri you knew about this car and used to drive it? YES!!!! my life is complete now lololol

Doppelgänger
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
ahhh ive been waiting for you to post lol, i loved your miata since the first day i saw it. if you have any input as for anything i should look out for or do to the miata since it is my first, id love to hear it. pm me pleaseeee lol

Thank you, Sir.

So where do you want me to start? lol I don't know anything about the car or it's setup.
I know you will find a TON of information on www.miataturbo.net , but be warned, they are a serious group over there and you really have to mind you Ps and Qs until you establish yourself. I'd suggest reading as much as you can on there before posting (if you decide to do so). It really is the best resource.

By what I can go on, you really need to get engine management under control. I'm guessing you're running a PowerCard to control fuel right now. Without a standalone ECU, you can't adjust timing...and adjusting timing is where the power and reliability comes from. You are lucky that DIY is over in Suwannee. I'm sure you can get a base map from someone on MT or from the guys at DIY for the MS. Your best bet for tuning would either be at DIY or Ed over at Balanced Performance (he did my tuning).

After getting that sorted, I'd get a good 15x8/15x9 wheel (and no 0-offset garbage either) and some Hankook RS3s. You want to know what grip feels like?

Does the car have a LSD?

Is the car burning oil or anything? What makes you suspect valve stems? You should probably check compression and do a leakdown test...as well as the oil + compression test. With the lack of timing control, if it has detonated under boost, you could have a ring issue. Luckily BP longbocks are pretty cheap and the swap is very straight forward, if you end up in the worst-case scenario.

teh bri
06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
what!!! bri you knew about this car and used to drive it? YES!!!! my life is complete now lololol

LMAO. I knew ABOUT the car. I rode IN the car. I didn't DRIVE the car. Should have been more clearer.

DeeAOne
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Does it make a knock/rattle at about the same rpm everytime? Or is it constant throughout the rpms? Does it sound like like its in the head or bottom end possibly?

Sammich
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
lmao at how many times this car has changed hands on this forum

Munky
06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Haha I continue to lol at the amount Of people I see who has own this NA lol

Munky
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Does it make a knock/rattle at about the same rpm everytime? Or is it constant throughout the rpms? Does it sound like like its in the head or bottom end possibly?

It does happen at every the same rpm. Any ideas? The tick is most likely the HLA? Correct?

Doppelgänger
06-07-2012, 07:47 AM
See my last post on the first page.

DeeAOne
06-24-2012, 01:03 AM
It does happen at every the same rpm. Any ideas? The tick is most likely the HLA? Correct?

I don't know really. It did it when my buddy had it too. We thought it was a wrist pin knocking lol. Didn't quite sound like HLA noise to me.

Squirrley
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
i miss my miata.... :(