PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Timing without timing covers?

HeyItsSkeero
05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
How can I set my dizzy / ignition timing to 16 without having the timing covers?

It's a LSV with an ITR oil pump. Is the little arrow/line or whatever it is helpful for this?

I've got a digital craftsman timing light I can set to 16 or 0. I just need to know how to set it back to 16. Thanks!

1civic
05-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Small arrow on the oil pump, and also line on the crank shaft timing gear.. use those to make a reference mark on you crank pully "white-out" works well.. dab a small amount on oil pump as-well, you will use both marks to match up later, should 0 out at that point...

Once you are sure the timing is aligned correctly then use a jumper in the service connector under the dash.. Start the car, use your digital light and adjust the dial until the white mark you made lines up... Loosen dizzy and adjust as needed to dial it to 16 degrees, mark will then be off-set.. but once finished lock down dizzy, kill car and pull jumper from service plug..

Best way I could explain with the little info given..

Later!!

HeyItsSkeero
06-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks man! I actually went a head and bought it though.

That's what I was thinking anyways, but never thought about white outting it. I'll remember that for next time.

green91
06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Im sure you already know, but its always a good idea to get a set of timing covers. Something as small as a piece of gravel getting into the belt could cost you the engine.