PDA

View Full Version : engine knockin?

balla12233
05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Whats up ia im havin a problem with my da i turned it on this mornin and it started makin a knockin noise everytime i push on the gas to about 2000 rpms something starts knocking/rattling but it still runs anyy one have an idea of what it could be???

Berta
05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
If it is a rod knocking , you can pull/replace a spark plug wire 1 at a time to find out which cylinder has the malfunction. When you pull the spark plug wire while the engine is running, you relax the cylinder and the knock will go away. If the knock continues , you could have multiple knocks but you should have heard this in the making before now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gsrteg
06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Chances are, you probably ran the engine dry without checking the oil level and pistons are blown.

hondaxpurt
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
pistons are blown? can you explain this?

Vteckidd
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
lol pistons are blown. Thats funny.

ROD KNOCK is because most likely the rod bearings have spun, due to oil starvation or age, and the noise you are hearing is the rod "knocking" against the crank. Usually if you can hear it, its too late, the crank and rod(S) are trash.

What you need to do is check the oil asap. See where the level is .

Next you need to drain the oil if it has some and look for metal shavings. Use a magnetic oil plug, or strainer and see if there are metal shavings.

If the knocking is RPM based meaning it gets louder or worse as you rev the engine, its most likely a rod. It can be other things for sure.

green91
06-13-2012, 08:15 PM
While it does sound like a rod knock from your description, i have heard water pumps or loose timing belts make a similar noise (tough to say without hearing it myself). But like mr.kidd said, if its a rod knock your rods/crank are already toast and may have dumped metal shavings throughout the engine already.

Sinfix_15
06-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Sometimes you can get lucky with ATF. I've seen a few cars get ran low on oil to the point of knocking, topped it off with some ATF and it went away.

Then drain it and oil change with a hefty amount of lucas. Had pretty good results doin that in old tired yard/work trucks.

B18c1Turboed
06-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Who's there?

green91
06-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Who's there?

No more rod bearing, but if you put in ATF you dont need bearings apparently.