PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Needs a Refresher course

Western.
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Atlanta needs a refresher course on what the left lane means. I was going down 78 yesterday, and absolutely no one moved out of the left lane. They were going about 5 mph over(70), and seemed to think that thats as fast as anyone needed to go They weren't passing anyone. It frustrated the mess out of me because a couple times people were riding two wide, which made me go all the way to the right lane to get around them. It was ridiculous. So, a quick reminder to Atlanta:

The left lane is for the fastER traffic. Just because you are going "fast" by your standards does not mean that you are the fastER traffic. If someone comes up behind you that was clearly going faster before they encountered you, kindly move over. :yes: You do not own the left lane.

Oh, and one more thing:

Get off the phone/stop texting and DRIVE.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

JDM_Goddess
05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I doubt IA needs a refresher course on this subject. You should try standing on the side of 78 with a sign, or maybe write it all over your car?

Turbo04
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Assuming the speed limit was 70, I'd say they were already going fast enough at 75. In reality the left lane is supposed to be reserved for cars traveling at the maximum posted speed limit or passing. If they were at 75 as you say and the speed limit was 70 as I assume, they really did nothing wrong. However you passing in the right hand lane as you simply had to go faster was a douche move. Running late? Leave earlier next time. But I completely agree with the stop with the cell phone and drive, shit eats me up when I see people doing it and driving like crap while at it.

Western.
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Sorry if that was unclear. Speed limit was 65, they were going 70. No, I was not running late at all. And it's not IA that needs the refresher, I know. That wasn't the point. The point was I wanted to rant about it. I might try standing on the side of 78 with a sign.:crazy::crazy:

Browning151
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
As long as they are moving faster than people to their right I really don't mind if they're not necessarily going as fast as I'd like to, I'm usually poking along in the far right lane saving gas anyway. What annoys the hell out of me even more is people that will drive 30 mph all the way down the expressway entrance ramp and then attempt to speed up just as their merging into traffic that's moving 65-70 mph, causing someone to either have to slow down or change lanes to avoid them or them getting run all the way to the end of the ramp and then just stopping because they are retarded. At least make an attempt to get somewhat close to the speed of traffic before merging you idiot.

C230K
05-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I would just go around them or sometimes when Im pissed I would just go into the emergency lane and pass them that way. Yes I know that I shouldnt do that because its dangerous and blah blah blah, but I could give a flying fuck what you think, thats just how I drive, sorry

Halfwit
05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
No. Your wrong. were not speaking in terms of "well technically he.." blah blah. If you are in the "fast lane" i dont care if you are doing 120 in a 55 zone, someone comes up behind you, and you can move to the right.DO IT. Dont worry that the person is speeding, your not thepolice.. The left lane is for faster traffic. Its a social common law. I see people all the time chilling at 60 mph in the fast lane chilling at 60, and it makes me upset.

Who are you to tell someont they are going "fast enough"? Police? Their parents? I dont see you at the mall walking slow in front of people because you feel if you moved, they would walk too fast.

Assuming the speed limit was 70, I'd say they were already going fast enough at 75. In reality the left lane is supposed to be reserved for cars traveling at the maximum posted speed limit or passing. If they were at 75 as you say and the speed limit was 70 as I assume, they really did nothing wrong. However you passing in the right hand lane as you simply had to go faster was a douche move. Running late? Leave earlier next time. But I completely agree with the stop with the cell phone and drive, shit eats me up when I see people doing it and driving like crap while at it.

David88vert
05-25-2012, 07:23 PM
O.C.G.A. 40-6-40 (2010)
40-6-40. Vehicles to drive on right side of roadway; exceptions

(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, provided that any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(3) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or

(4) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(b) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic-control devices designating certain lanes to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes or except as permitted under paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of this Code section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center of the roadway in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

(d) No two vehicles shall impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side at the same time while in adjacent lanes, provided that this Code section shall not be construed to prevent vehicles traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Browning151
05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I see I'm not the only one that has the LexisNexis OCGA bookmarked. :goodjob:

Western.
05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
This whole thing, ESPECIALLY section D, needs to be posted in public places. No Joke. This, my friends, is why we can't have a highway with no speed limit like Germany. In Germany, its understood that if you just sit in the left lane, you could get killed or kill someone else.

CptWitwiki
05-25-2012, 08:49 PM
What annoys the hell out of me even more is people that will drive 30 mph all the way down the expressway entrance ramp and then attempt to speed up just as their merging into traffic that's moving 65-70 mph, causing someone to either have to slow down or change lanes to avoid them or them getting run all the way to the end of the ramp and then just stopping because they are retarded. At least make an attempt to get somewhat close to the speed of traffic before merging you idiot.
i HATE when people do that shit ... it makes me so mad.

Elbow
05-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Speeding in the left lane is for morons, anyone that wants to go a little faster should stay to the right.

tnomud
05-26-2012, 12:29 AM
I do 200 miles a day, 5 days a week, and speed like a man. Left lane, with the pace or faster, pass on left unless they refuse to move. These people whp spend all their time bobbing and weaving in and out of all lanes do nothing but fuck traffic up. Anyone who commutes in ATL during the 6 to 7 AM shift knows the drill. No brakes unless its an emergency, 3 feet apart at 80-90MPH is not a big deal, stay fucking put unless you are impeading. IF someone wont move right, put some pressure on them. Get all up in their shit until they start to wander in their lane from gawking in mirrors. If they don't step it up, pass on right, almost clip their bumper when you get in front of them. Thats the deal.

NOTE: last speeding ticket was in 1997:bump:

Relentless
05-26-2012, 01:31 AM
I do 200 miles a day, 5 days a week, and speed like a man. Left lane, with the pace or faster, pass on left unless they refuse to move. These people whp spend all their time bobbing and weaving in and out of all lanes do nothing but fuck traffic up. Anyone who commutes in ATL during the 6 to 7 AM shift knows the drill. No brakes unless its an emergency, 3 feet apart at 80-90MPH is not a big deal, stay fucking put unless you are impeading. IF someone wont move right, put some pressure on them. Get all up in their shit until they start to wander in their lane from gawking in mirrors. If they don't step it up, pass on right, almost clip their bumper when you get in front of them. Thats the deal.

Now thats how you do it ! lol

C230K
05-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Love the last sentence in the paragraph

ISAtlanta300
05-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I drive the speed limit in the left lane just to fuck with speeders. Whatcha gonna do about it? Ride my bumper all you want. You clip me or hit me, I get paid.

(lol)

Halfwit
05-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I drive the speed limit in the left lane just to fuck with speeders. Whatcha gonna do about it? Ride my bumper all you want. You clip me or hit me, I get paid.

(lol)

want to bet? wen im feeling frisky, i pass you, get in front and slam on brakes. if you hit me, your fault for "following too close" if not, you have to slam on brakes and you learn your lesson

Catnip
05-26-2012, 04:08 PM

(lol)

I'll ride your ass, turn my brights on (that I conveniently aimed a little high), honk my horn, etc. If you don't move...

want to bet? wen im feeling frisky, i pass you, get in front and slam on brakes. if you hit me, your fault for "following too close" if not, you have to slam on brakes and you learn your lesson

^^ this.

Western.
05-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I stopped trying the honk/ flash brights a long time ago. I wait a certain amount of seconds and then look for a way around them. If there is no way, I might flash my brights.

Browning151
05-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Real smart, endanger the lives of others on the road because someone wasn't driving as fast as you wanted to go.

quickdodgeŽ
05-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I do 200 miles a day, 5 days a week,

Rookie driver. Brag about miles when you actually drive some, man!!!

This is why I love having dash cams.

I'll ride your ass, turn my brights on (that I conveniently aimed a little high), honk my horn, etc. If you don't move...

Again with the dash cam (that I aimed conveniently lower to catch the license plate number). Also, that is known as road rage. Which the police will be informed of as you're performing it. Later, QD.

Western.
05-26-2012, 06:00 PM
A dash cam is a brilliant idea, QD. The only thing about it is that I would think you would either have to take it off and put it back on every time you got in and out of the car(if you didn't, it would probably get stolen). Also, more off topic, I wonder if there's a way to wire a dash cam into somewhere on the interior of your car that could keep a constant watch on your ride with. It'd be expensive because you'd probably have to get a small power source that could be independent and not drain your battery, and the cam would have to look like just another feature on the interior of the car…. Anyways, I was just thinking out loud there.

Halfwit
05-26-2012, 09:31 PM
not really that hard. they have small cams you can put anywhere and they can start recording onkly when needed (like when car door opens, or ignition turned on, ect.)

its how a news channel caught a bunch of "pep boys" claiming to do work to cars (oil changes, trans flush ect) and not doing anything to the car at all. really screwing people over

i mean im suere you have seen the show "bait car" where thye have cameras all over the car that people never notice (built into rear view mirror, cd player, other places that arent noticable especially if your dumb enough to believe that people leave there cars running with door open and jump in a car with someone else

Western.
05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Interesting. What are these things called? And yea, I have seen that. But in all seriousness, how real is Bait Car? For all we know, those cameras could be just regular small cameras. I would really be interested to know what kind of cameras they actually use

Halfwit
05-26-2012, 09:41 PM
cameras

but seriously, you know hte small "back up" cameras you see some people put on (not factory) there cars taht sit on the license plate? take that small camera, hide it anywhere. be creative. then, instead of it going to a screeen, you can buy things to make it saved to a card or whatever

20$ back up camera
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAOTRONICS-WATERPROOF-CAR-REARVIEW-BACK-UP-REVERSE-VIDEO-LED-CAMERA-NIGHT-VISION-/140662408483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c0220523

small camera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-5-LCD-Rear-Monitor-Car-Reverse-View-Backup-Camera-Kits-For-CAMRY-2008-/170848064148?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item27c7569294&vxp=mtr

another. they all have the cables that would plug into a source for saving on a card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-Night-Vison-Color-Image-Reserve-Backup-Camera-for-Rear-View-Monitor-/280823024069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41625b49c5

Western.
05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the link man! I appreciate it. Now, Let the ranting about slow left lane drivers continue! :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
05-26-2012, 11:21 PM
They are also called "pinhole" cameras. Later, QD.

Western.
05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Yet again, thank you QD!!!! NOW, let the ranting resume!

tnomud
05-28-2012, 10:57 AM

(lol)

It's d-bags like you that make 20K people have to leave earlier and cause congestion. Personally, it would be a tough task to outdrive me, doubt you could. You are welcome to try though.

Drivers like you are a dime a dozen, and easy to spot. FYI: you don't get paid when you are impeading and/or brake checking. Thats what berms and higher-hp cars are for.:goodjob:

Browning151
05-28-2012, 11:24 AM
It's d-bags like you that make 20K people have to leave earlier and cause congestion. Personally, it would be a tough task to outdrive me, doubt you could. You are welcome to try though.

Drivers like you are a dime a dozen, and easy to spot. FYI: you don't get paid when you are impeading and/or brake checking. Thats what berms and higher-hp cars are for.:goodjob:

Actually, people who pick a lane and maintain a constant speed have a much smaller impact than people who constantly switch lanes trying to beat everyone else. For every person that gets cut off and has to brake it creates a wave of people braking or changing lanes behind them that builds until traffic eventually completely comes to a stop. Those "d-bags" aren't the problem, it's the fact that there's "20k" people all trying to go somewhere at the same time and a fairly large percentage of them probably have no business even having a drivers license.

quickdodgeŽ
05-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Actually, people who pick a lane and maintain a constant speed have a much smaller impact than people who constantly switch lanes trying to beat everyone else. For every person that gets cut off and has to brake it creates a wave of people braking or changing lanes behind them that builds until traffic eventually completely comes to a stop. Those "d-bags" aren't the problem, it's the fact that there's "20k" people all trying to go somewhere at the same time and a fairly large percentage of them probably have no business even having a drivers license.

All truth here! Later, QD.

Western.
05-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Yea, I agree with Browning's statement as well, especially the last part. I try to stay in one lane whenever possible during travel, but I also don't like to dilly-dally around getting places. I also try to follow the general rule of seeing their headlights in your driver's side and rearview mirror before moving over in front of someone, and that keeps me from cutting people off.

Turbo04
05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
No. Your wrong. were not speaking in terms of "well technically he.." blah blah. If you are in the "fast lane" i dont care if you are doing 120 in a 55 zone, someone comes up behind you, and you can move to the right.DO IT. Dont worry that the person is speeding, your not thepolice.. The left lane is for faster traffic. Its a social common law. I see people all the time chilling at 60 mph in the fast lane chilling at 60, and it makes me upset.

Who are you to tell someont they are going "fast enough"? Police? Their parents? I dont see you at the mall walking slow in front of people because you feel if you moved, they would walk too fast.

I quite simply do not give a shit that they are speeding. I don't poke around in the left lane, if I'm there I'm doing at least 10 over the posted limit. Most times I will move over if I'm able, what gets me is when someone comes up on my ass and rides it. Then I will sit there, it's not a matter of I'm trying to slow you down cause I think your going too fast, it's a you are acting like a tool and f'u at that point. People doing the speed limit on the road makes you upset simply because they are in the left lane? I did not realize the posted limit applies to every lane but the left. Nice to know.

Oh and when someone trips and falls in the mall walking to fast they don't injure/kill other random people who happened to be in the same area. Same cannot be said for people who think the left lane is the "I'm gonna go as fast as I want" lane. I said it before, if your in that big of a hurry leave earlier next time so you don't have to drive like that. Driving in a car is already a dangerous undertaking, there is no reason up the risk factor even more for everyone on the road cause you had to haul ass. You wouldn't allow someone to point a gun at you and pull the trigger not knowing if there is a bullet in there, but you'll pilot a 2500lb object at questionable speeds not knowing what other people around you may do?

Western.
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I see your point there, Turbo. Yes, you are undertaking a lot of possible danger every time you step in your car. But, as an earlier post in this thread stated, the law also states that thou shalt not impede the flow of traffic. There are two reasons this comes above the speed limit. One is that this is Atlanta, and we have a unique habit of driving way above posted speed limits, 10,15,20 over, and that will be the flow of traffic. If your not going with the flow of traffic and you are among said traffic(instead of to the right), you are by definition impeding the flow of traffic. That, as a matter of course, is more dangerous in this particular city(and the surrounding cities) than going above the speed limit. In little nothing towns like where I go to college, it is a much different story. For instance, they have a tendency to go at or a little under the speed limit. So caution and your actual speed is more important there, especially because its in the mountains and there are a lot of curvy roads. But here, the flow of traffic is a bit more important. The second reason is an extension of the first. You have no idea whats going on in any one else's life who is on the road with you. They could be trying to get to a dying loved one, they may have to piss like there's no tomorrow, maybe they haven't eaten in a few days for various reason, you never really know. It is most likely, indeed, that they are in a hurry because they didn't leave early enough or that they are just speeding to be speeding. But again, you never really know. One last point I'll make is that you as the average motorist cannot attempt to control the cars and traffic around you. The only people that can really do that is emergency personnel, such as cops(and parental units for the youngest drivers). Let them make their own choices and subsequently suffer the appropriate consequences(whether that be good or bad)…Don't try to make the choice for them. It will cause unnecessary annoyance and stress and in extreme situations could get you or another driver seriously hurt or killed.

Oh, and just a random shout out, On the subject of emergency personnel, When you see a cop/ambulance/fire truck coming, do whatever is necessary and possible to GET OUT OF THE WAY. Your actions could be the difference between life and death.

tnomud
05-30-2012, 09:38 AM
It doesn't matter weather you are going 2 over or 15 over. If you are in the hammer lane and 22 cars are stacked up on your ass and/or passing you on your right, you are causing chaos that is not needed. I understand that 70 in a 55 on the connector might seem acceptable to some, but there are those that choose to take it up a notch or two. Rinse the sand from your vagina and move over for them.

Turbo04
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Meh perhaps I'm in the minority here but I simply don't see the point or need to drive like I'm the only person on the road with unreasonable speed. As I said I'll generally move over for faster cars if I happen to be in the left lane unless someone is acting like and douche, then I sometimes will sit there. Is that right? Nope, but no one is perfect. That being said however using the "its the fast lane" excuse to drive significantly faster that the rest of traffic is BS. While I have no issues with people in the left lane traveling at a reasonable speeds in excess of the speed limit or traffic, more often than not the ones I see are doing neither. Perhaps I'm coming across the wrong way, I don't feel it's my personal mission to slow everyone down in that lane, but just because you can drive faster in that lane doesn't mean your entitled to do it. There simply isn't a reason good enough to justify the increased risk to everyone else on the road by someone hauling ass in the left lane. What if my family and I are sitting in the middle lane doing 5 over the limit, a driver in the left lane is traveling 30mph faster then I am and for whatever reason looses control just as they are passing us?What if at a lower speed he/she would not have lost control and/or regained control before slamming into my car? It's most certainly not acceptable that others should be placed at a greater risk simply because some feel they need/want to drive significantly faster in certain lanes. The vast majority of drivers on the road, especially around Atlanta, truly have no business even being able to drive a car. Perhaps if everyone treated driving a car like what it is, a privilege, and not as the right they think it is things including traffic would be better.

Also I'm almost positive in the law regarding left lane use, no where does it say that other laws (read: speed limit) governing travel on roadways do not apply. In fact i believe it says that you can pass/overtake provided your within the laws governing such actions. I think anyone can grasp that momentarily accelerating to overtake another car is not the same thing as traveling at a significantly higher speed for an extended period of time simply because your in the left lane. I have no real problems with people using the left lane reasonably as a faster lane, but as with most things in life when given some slack with the rules most people keep pushing the limits and start to view that slack like it is an entitlement.

quickdodgeŽ
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Most times I will move over if I'm able, what gets me is when someone comes up on my ass and rides it. Then I will sit there, it's not a matter of I'm trying to slow you down cause I think your going too fast, it's a you are acting like a tool and f'u at that point.

I'm with you, man. If I'm in the fast lane and have someone right beside and some idiot comes up behind me flashing lights at me from 50 yards away, I'm not going anywhere.

I'm going to get some footage uploaded here from my truck dash cam and let you see what I have to deal with every day. It's really amazing. Some of you guys think you have ants in your pants about other drivers. None of all have shit on me, lolol. Later, QD.

tnomud
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Dude, I have seen it all. Decatur on 285 (I call it the toilet bowl) is the worst. Driving is horrible at best. I need to bust out the camera some day. The early AM crew rolls hard, I am not the only guy running 80-100 on the connector. Its usually packs of 5-10 cars working as a team.

quickdodgeŽ
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Dude, I have seen it all.

I thought so too. Until I climbed into the seat of daily driver. Trust me, dude. Until you do what I do, lolol, you haven't seen it all.

Decatur on 285 (I call it the toilet bowl) is the worst.

There is much worse, my man. Believe that. Later, QD.

Boosted FC
05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
In for these vids Mike.

blaknoize
05-30-2012, 11:09 PM

But the driver going faster than those in the slower (driving lanes) would not have to switch if the constant pace drivers stayed in the (driving lanes). Generally speaking, the furthest to the left is the FAST(ER)(EST) passing lane and should not be used otherwise. The constant lane changing is caused by those driving slower than the fastest car in the fast lane, regardless of it's frequency.

As stated before, if youre traveling at 70 in a 65, you may not always be the fastest car in that lane at any given time, which is known. So... why stay there? The faster driver changing lanes is unnecessary when he is now the FASTEST driver in the fast lane. I dont understand this argument, driver courtesy never exists anywhere except in racing.

quickdodgeŽ
05-31-2012, 05:55 AM
driver courtesy never exists anywhere except in racing.

This is exactly right. And why does it not exist?

Simple answer. Because everyone is in too much of a hurry. Later, QD.

Browning151
05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
But the driver going faster than those in the slower (driving lanes) would not have to switch if the constant pace drivers stayed in the (driving lanes). Generally speaking, the furthest to the left is the FAST(ER)(EST) passing lane and should not be used otherwise. The constant lane changing is caused by those driving slower than the fastest car in the fast lane, regardless of it's frequency.

As stated before, if youre traveling at 70 in a 65, you may not always be the fastest car in that lane at any given time, which is known. So... why stay there? The faster driver changing lanes is unnecessary when he is now the FASTEST driver in the fast lane. I dont understand this argument, driver courtesy never exists anywhere except in racing.

That was mostly directed at times when traffic is very heavy and the lanes are moving at nearly the same speed due to volume. The more people try to change lanes to beat everyone else, they just make the traffic worse. Next time you're in heavy traffic watch the lane behind someone who switches lanes, it's easy to spot the wave most of the time.

When it comes to times that traffic is lighter, yes, maintaining a slower speed in the left lane causes just as much chaos as the lane changers in heavy traffic if not more because you are causing people to change lanes at a higher rate of speed. If you're in the left lane and passing traffic you should move to the right once there is a break in traffic for you to move over if there are others behind you, simple common courtesy. My problem lies with the self-important "the left lane is the do whatever the fuck I want lane and you better get the hell out of my way at all costs" assholes, most people just get annoyed and say fuck you when you start all the light flashing crap.

Austin?
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
If I'm driving 70 in a 65 I don't give a goat ass if you tailing my ass. You should had left earlier when you Know you you gotta get there in certain time. I normally just stay the same speed until you wanna pass me then I would just speed up just to piss you off a little bit more. When you think in gonna speed up and get behind me agian I would go back to my normal speed.

70 in a 65 is already breaking the traffic law.

Western.
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
That was mostly directed at times when traffic is very heavy and the lanes are moving at nearly the same speed due to volume. The more people try to change lanes to beat everyone else, they just make the traffic worse. Next time you're in heavy traffic watch the lane behind someone who switches lanes, it's easy to spot the wave most of the time.

When it comes to times that traffic is lighter, yes, maintaining a slower speed in the left lane causes just as much chaos as the lane changers in heavy traffic if not more because you are causing people to change lanes at a higher rate of speed. If you're in the left lane and passing traffic you should move to the right once there is a break in traffic for you to move over if there are others behind you, simple common courtesy. My problem lies with the self-important "the left lane is the do whatever the fuck I want lane and you better get the hell out of my way at all costs" assholes, most people just get annoyed and say fuck you when you start all the light flashing crap.

You've got a good point there, sir. Patience is something that I'm having to work on because I'm definitely not a patient person. Thats why I find it hard to stay in one lane when traffic is going slow, and the other lanes seem to be moving faster than the one I'm in. But I'm working on that. I used to be That Guy that you speak of, that would flash my lights and such for people that would just chill in the left lane, but I figured out that it really only makes people angry, so I stopped doing anything like that. I just give them a certain count to move over (5-10 sec), and then I just go around them and on my merry way.

If I'm driving 70 in a 65 I don't give a goat ass if you tailing my ass. You should had left earlier when you Know you you gotta get there in certain time. I normally just stay the same speed until you wanna pass me then I would just speed up just to piss you off a little bit more. When you think in gonna speed up and get behind me agian I would go back to my normal speed.

Im sorry, but people like you are the problem. Like I said earlier, you never know people's circumstances.1: Don't be so legalistic about the rules of the road. No one follows the speed limit around here, not even the cops, so driver courtesy, as mentioned only a few replies above this one, is so much more important than speed limits. 2. You sound like a Prius driver. I would recommend you look up Jeff Dunham's "talk" on Priuses on Youtube for the reference. 3rd and certainly not least, if you want to patrol the roads, become a cop. Otherwise, stop trying. You'll just piss people off, or worse, cause a wreck.

Austin?
05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
It not mine or another person problem if you need to be in a hurry, when and if I need to be somewhere at the time I should be there I would just leave earlier so I don't have to get on here and cry about how people don't speed up to make you happy. Like you say moving over for faster driver is courtesy. I only moved over for red and blue because I have to but just to move over for some one that's Late for work because they have to finish masturbating before the leave. HELL NO!

Browning151
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
It not mine or another person problem if you need to be in a hurry, when and if I need to be somewhere at the time I should be there I would just leave earlier so I don't have to get on here and cry about how people don't speed up to make you happy. Like you say moving over for faster driver is courtesy. I only moved over for red and blue because I have to but just to move over for some one that's Late for work because they have to finish masturbating before the leave. HELL NO!

It's also not your job to play policeman. I'm not saying that you need to immediately move out of someones way when they come up, but playing traffic cop does nothing but piss people off, increase the risk of an accident and impede traffic. Once there is an opportunity for you to move over safely, just do it and let them go on. Their driving habits will eventually catch up to them. Take 2 seconds and think about the other people around you on the road and the effect that an accident could have on their lives that you could have contributed to by trying to play policeman on the road. By acting like that you are no better than the person driving like a maniac.

Browning151
05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
After reading the responses in this thread and hearing a good deal of talk lately about the new TSPLOST vote coming up soon I think there's a much more effective way to spend that money than just adding lanes and changing intersections; driver education. If you really want to start to address the traffic problems around Atlanta you don't need to start with the roads themselves, but the drivers because there are clearly far too many idiots that posses drivers licenses. Driving is a privilege, one that many take for granted and a responsibility that many take far too lightly. Slightly off-topic but just my :2cents:

silversol
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM

This is atlanta i have heard of people that have been shot and killed for less.....

blaknoize
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM

That has nothing to do with whether or not you're late or nearly late. Specifically when youre traveling. Trying to outpower someone is childish when you know full well the driver was attempting to pass you in the first place. That's like u ignoring the fact when you are late or traveling and someone does the exact samething, but has more HP than you, annoying your kid(s) and wasting gas and increasing the potential for a mistake or accident.

The traffic speed law has nothing to do with people actually driving faster than you, my personal "cruising speed" is 80, always has been. When traveling I feel like I'm making good time, occasionally I can creep to 85-90 but I find that speed a bit to fast when not in a hurry. Why, when I come across you, would you imped my traveling speed because u just "felt" like I was going to fast and u want to slow me down or block me? AND THEN, if I actually make a way around u, you force yourself back in front of me? You are breaking as many laws as me becoming a hazard on the roadway for no good reason. You arent law enforcement and I'm clearly aware I'm speeding. It is none of your business why I'm traveling faster than you when posing no threat to you.

5spdfrk
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
In for those dash cam vids!

And yes, driving is a privilege...more needs to go into those driving tests imho.

Western.
06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
That has nothing to do with whether or not you're late or nearly late. Specifically when youre traveling. Trying to outpower someone is childish when you know full well the driver was attempting to pass you in the first place. That's like u ignoring the fact when you are late or traveling and someone does the exact samething, but has more HP than you, annoying your kid(s) and wasting gas and increasing the potential for a mistake or accident.

The traffic speed law has nothing to do with people actually driving faster than you, my personal "cruising speed" is 80, always has been. When traveling I feel like I'm making good time, occasionally I can creep to 85-90 but I find that speed a bit to fast when not in a hurry. Why, when I come across you, would you imped my traveling speed because u just "felt" like I was going to fast and u want to slow me down or block me? AND THEN, if I actually make a way around u, you force yourself back in front of me? You are breaking as many laws as me becoming a hazard on the roadway for no good reason. You arent law enforcement and I'm clearly aware I'm speeding. It is none of your business why I'm traveling faster than you when posing no threat to you.

That's exactly what I was saying.

There should be a testing period instead of a single day. It might show off any natural tendencies that the driver has. During that testing period, if they showed off any one of several indicators(which would be indicative of later tendencies), they would be asked to fix those in a timely manner or have to start the driving period over again. Some people wouldn't get their license in that process, but it would for the better overall good. And no, the learners permit is not that at all. Your parents are the ones that supervise that, and so all you would be doing would be imitating their driving habits, for the most part, which aren't always the best.

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
It is none of your business why I'm traveling faster than you when posing no threat to you.

Speeding does pose a (greater) threat to anyone on the roads. So that theory holds no water, dude. Later, QD.

blaknoize
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Speeding does pose a (greater) threat to anyone on the roads. So that theory holds no water, dude. Later, QD.

Not necessarily true, if we all do a search for countries whos laws allow a higher speed (and better training) for regular traveling. Traffic is more organized if the speeds are higher and the populus understands what the lanes are designed for. Also, those who do generally travel faster pay more attention to their cars/trucks. Properly balanced tires, inflation is good, alignments are in check, most dont do other things outside of just driving (like not eating, txtn, listening to music etc.) Also, those who like to go faster more than likely have a car that is designed to travel faster, which can in turn; come to a stop faster, turn in harder, wider/higher performance tires are generally on those types of travelers cars as well.

So this theory does hold water seeing as you are a truck driver, you guys dont all just blindly drive around with bald tires, eating big cheese burgers while chatting on your CB running in a (umm train?). Nope, your truck is as well maintained as financially possible, you all communicate and pay attention, just as most high speed drivers do. Just because a faster driver incurs more "speeding" tickets does not mean he is posing a higher threat than a group of fools in the slowest of lanes smashing into one another because they "forgot" that there was another car over there.

quickdodgeŽ
06-02-2012, 12:07 AM
So this theory does hold water seeing as you are a truck driver, you guys dont all just blindly drive around with bald tires, eating big cheese burgers while chatting on your CB running in a (umm train?).

It doesn't hold water at all. Also, there is no comparing truck driving and speeding. Two completely different areas of motoring. Later, QD.

tnomud
06-02-2012, 01:09 AM
My office is 78 miles from my house. the difference between 65 and 85 adds up to weeks at the end of the year. Besides adding a $50/hr tag on it, it simply makes more sense to run faster for me over time. Yes, I leave plenty early, but still choose to not waste this time.

Its no big deal. If I want to run 80, 90, or occasionally 100, I can and will. If you want to try to slow me down, I'll pass you. It happens 10 times a day. Last car accident was 10+ years ago. Last speeding ticket was in 97. So, apparently, this works for me at least.

Turbo04
06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
My office is 78 miles from my house. the difference between 65 and 85 adds up to weeks at the end of the year. Besides adding a $50/hr tag on it, it simply makes more sense to run faster for me over time. Yes, I leave plenty early, but still choose to not waste this time.

Its no big deal. If I want to run 80, 90, or occasionally 100, I can and will. If you want to try to slow me down, I'll pass you. It happens 10 times a day. Last car accident was 10+ years ago. Last speeding ticket was in 97. So, apparently, this works for me at least.

This attitude so perfectly sums up all that is f'd up with America and people in general. The I'll do what I want regardless of the possible risks/consequences said action(s) will impose on others. Hopefully it continues to "work" for you, all it would take is a few seconds of things going wrong to completely ruin not only your life and possibly others who may not have signed up for the risk/reward model you've going on here. To me saving a bit of time by putting myself and others at a greater risk of injury or death isn't a smart investment.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
This attitude so perfectly sums up all that is f'd up with America and people in general. The I'll do what I want regardless of the possible risks/consequences said action(s) will impose on others. Hopefully it continues to "work" for you, all it would take is a few seconds of things going wrong to completely ruin not only your life and possibly others who may not have signed up for the risk/reward model you've going on here. To me saving a bit of time by putting myself and others at a greater risk of injury or death isn't a smart investment.

The risk is left to interpretation. Believe it not..... most cars are perfectly safe and functional above 55 mph. If my SUV takes 50 feet to come to a complete stop from 60mph and my porsche 911 turbo takes 50 feet to come to a complete stop from 120mph, who is traveling at a safer rate of speed, an SUV doing 60 or a porsche doing 90? Speed is rarely the cause of an accident..... it's usually the driver's inability to drive, pay attention, or understand the limitations and characteristics of his/her vehicle.

In my opinion, the law needs to be ramped up on stupidity offenses and cut back on performance driving offenses. Someone doing 130 on the highway would face jail time and have their license suspended, but if some woman rear ends someone at a red light because she was talking on her cell phone, she would just get a ticket.

Turbo04
06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
In my opinion, the law needs to be ramped up on stupidity offenses and cut back on performance driving offenses. Someone doing 130 on the highway would face jail time and have their license suspended, but if some woman rear ends someone at a red light because she was talking on her cell phone, she would just get a ticket.

I see what your saying there, but by the very nature of people and the way our society is, the performance driving offenses fall right into the stupidity offenses category. We all know the road is FILLED with people that really have no business being behind the wheel of a car at any speed. Making the choice to travel at speeds far exceeding the speed limit on a road filled with other objects that could at any moment come to a complete stop, fly into other lanes, or any number of other random seemingly reasonless actions, is by very definition stupidity. Sure you have a reasonable understanding what the capabilities of your car and your driving skill may be, but you have no idea if that driver in the blue sentra does. So whose is the worse driver? The one who should've never been in the car to begin with or the one who knows that majority of drivers on the road are like that and continue to drive as though they don't exist?

On the subject of cars and performance levels, it's never a car that crashes into others and ruins lives. The car doesn't start itself, make decisions about it's speed or actions, it's people behind the wheel that do that. Yes mechanical failures and other things happen out of the driver's control, but part of the responsibility of driving a car is making decisions about how one drives with those possibilities in mind. Ball joint fails going down the road? While at any speed it's not a great thing to have happen, I'm reasonably confident that having it happen at 55 is way better than having it happen at 85. The case is always made also that many places in Europe have higher speed limits (or none) and lower traffic incidents. Well this isn't Europe. Lets face it, 285 might as well be a dirt road when compared to some roads over there. I highly doubt they would come here and pilot their cars on our roads like they would at home. And lastly people always over estimate their own skill levels when it comes to things like driving. I love shooting guns, shot and owned some very nice ones, I'm reasonably accurate with my shots, but I wouldn't call myself an expert marksman. Just because someone may have a very nice high performance car and they have yet to park it inside of another car while zipping around at higher speeds doesn't mean they are great drivers, it just means part luck and part skill have combined to keep the car from being recycled into microwave cases.

quickdodgeŽ
06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree with everything you've stated. I feel the same way about all your points.

And lastly people always over estimate their own skill levels when it comes to things like driving.

And to add, while someone may "feel" like they're more than capable to handle their car on the highway at higher rates of speed, what if the person next to you, or in front of you, isn't. Later, QD.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I see what your saying there, but by the very nature of people and the way our society is, the performance driving offenses fall right into the stupidity offenses category. We all know the road is FILLED with people that really have no business being behind the wheel of a car at any speed. Making the choice to travel at speeds far exceeding the speed limit on a road filled with other objects that could at any moment come to a complete stop, fly into other lanes, or any number of other random seemingly reasonless actions, is by very definition stupidity. Sure you have a reasonable understanding what the capabilities of your car and your driving skill may be, but you have no idea if that driver in the blue sentra does. So whose is the worse driver? The one who should've never been in the car to begin with or the one who knows that majority of drivers on the road are like that and continue to drive as though they don't exist?

On the subject of cars and performance levels, it's never a car that crashes into others and ruins lives. The car doesn't start itself, make decisions about it's speed or actions, it's people behind the wheel that do that. Yes mechanical failures and other things happen out of the driver's control, but part of the responsibility of driving a car is making decisions about how one drives with those possibilities in mind. Ball joint fails going down the road? While at any speed it's not a great thing to have happen, I'm reasonably confident that having it happen at 55 is way better than having it happen at 85. The case is always made also that many places in Europe have higher speed limits (or none) and lower traffic incidents. Well this isn't Europe. Lets face it, 285 might as well be a dirt road when compared to some roads over there. I highly doubt they would come here and pilot their cars on our roads like they would at home. And lastly people always over estimate their own skill levels when it comes to things like driving. I love shooting guns, shot and owned some very nice ones, I'm reasonably accurate with my shots, but I wouldn't call myself an expert marksman. Just because someone may have a very nice high performance car and they have yet to park it inside of another car while zipping around at higher speeds doesn't mean they are great drivers, it just means part luck and part skill have combined to keep the car from being recycled into microwave cases.

I understand what you're saying and i cant dispute it. The roads are filled with a lot of morons and those morons are the people being taken into consideration when laws are made. Even though im perfectly capable of driving my car 100 everywhere i go, the other idiots on the road dont need cars going 100 mph around them.....

with that said..... i feel like nearly every part of our society caters to incompetence. We live in an era where you have to put a "Warning, do not eat" label on a box of razor blades. I know i can travel safely at 100mph on the highway, people who cant...... maybe they dont need to have licenses.

Sunkenkarma
06-03-2012, 12:42 AM
This happens to me almost everyday, Crusing 75-80, just chillin, come up behind, usually a minivan or a truck that is just planted in the left lane, I sit behind them for a minute or two, and just go around, What dont people understand that its a passing lane? I should not have to pass you in the non passing lane, get some common sense people. It wouldnt matter if I was doing 71mph or 130mph, if I come up behind you in the left lane, and you can get over to the right, please do so. /rant.

cprtyler
06-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Just throwing this out there id deal with atl driving the rest of my life b4 id ever move back yo orlanfo flordia they imo have the worst driving skills of anyone and blinkers are a thing of the past down there.

quickdodgeŽ
06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Just throwing this out there id deal with atl driving the rest of my life b4 id ever move back yo orlanfo flordia they imo have the worst driving skills of anyone and blinkers are a thing of the past down there.

That's not just Orlando. That's the entire state of Florida. If anyone wants to know what it's like to drive with Florida drivers, just go driving in Cobb County for a day. Later, QD.

Western.
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
I can attest to that.

Western.
06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Ya know, The drivers on 78 are getting a lot better about it........

Western.
06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Check this out. Tonight I was on my way home, and I got behind a guy that wouldn't move over. I tried flashing him a couple times, and it actually worked. I passed him and thought no more of it, until I saw he pulled back into the left lane right in front of some guy. There wasn't a car in his lane that he was trying to go around, and there weren't any exits to the left. Some people :no:

tnomud
06-12-2012, 06:50 AM
i guess once it makes Jalopnik, it's pretty much agreed upon (by men at least)

How To Drive Properly Explained In One Simple Graphic (http://jalopnik.com/5916981/how-to-drive-properly-explained-in-one-simple-graphic?tag=flowcharts)

Western.
06-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Nice... I wish I could post a sign with that flowchart on it

Bacon
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually driving an emergency vehicle doesn't give me any more right of way than any other person on the road way. If I am driving my rescue with my emergency light and sirens going and I collide with anyone, I am at fault regardless of who actually caused the accident.

It is a nice courtesy for people to move out of the path of an emergency vehicle. It would be nicer if everyone got their head out of their ass and moved to the right and not the left.

Western.
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Saw 5 more people do the same thing that I described last night. They moved into the left lane without any reason, which clearly held up a line of cars all 5 times. Some people really need to learn ALL the rules of the road before driving on the road, and some people should just get banned from having a license period.