PDA

View Full Version : H22/civic questions:Clutch, valves, nitrous

FlipKing
05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I just got a 97 civic with an h22 swap. The valves are loud, I'm guessing from the nitrous.lol I'm guessing the only way to get rid of the valve noise is getting new valves or maybe re-setting the current ones? I'd go ahead and do head gasket and all that if I'm having the valves reset. Is an OEM clutch strong enough for the car, or do I need to go up to stage 1? I don't want it to be a pain to drive, but stiffer wouldn't hurt. What is a safe shot for a pretty much stock jdm h22? I'm thinking 75 shot? Right now its set at 150. Car doesn't seem to burn oil, no smoke, and the coolant is clear. Just the valves that are giving me a little trouble with the noise.

green91
05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Have you tried setting the valve lash adjustment? Aside from having a mechanical defect (broken spring or guide) idk what else could possibly make much noise. Plus even with a correct lash adjustment they will exhibit some noise.

Take a look at this thread from h-t that also links to FSM pages regarding how to adjust them and the specs:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3032700

I'd imagine 75 shot with a wet kit would be reasonably safe if its jetted properly. I really cant speak for 150 shot.

Even with a 75 shot i'd suggest upgrading the clutch although a healthy OEM clutch would probably hold it for a short time.

EmminoDaGreat
05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Check valve lash, and integrity of your LMA's (lost motion assemblies). As far as clutch, go with something unsprung if you're doing a bigger shot, this way the springs wont pop out on you.

green91
05-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Interesting, is that something youve seen a lot with sprung clutches? i figured the springs would be loaded under normal acceleration anyway and the nitrous wouldnt make any difference. Ive always run sprung clutches just so they are a little bit more manageable on the street.

D3UC3S
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Adjust your valves. Super easy and takes basic tools. I had a similar problem on my h23a. An hour later it was as quiet as could be!

FlipKing
05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
They've already been adjusted to 8 and 7 thousandths. I'm thinking the spray took its toll and might need new valves if I want to quiet it down. Take that back,lol, I misremembered. I can get stock exedy for a 100, stage one for like 250.

FlipKing
05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Should I go a little tighter or just save up a little money and rebuild the head?

D3UC3S
05-15-2012, 03:32 AM
If you cant find a cheap one on CL, stay off the nitrous and dont beat on it and it will last til you can take the head to a machine shop. I would leave them at factory spec.

FlipKing
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Can i reuse my current valves or should in install new?

D3UC3S
05-16-2012, 01:59 AM
Get new ones man, you want it to last so if its at a machine shop just use oem or upgrade for nitrous.

FlipKing
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I found a complete jdm h22 head here for 250. Thinking I might buy that, sell my nitrous kit to fund the head rebuild and just stay all motor. That way I can rebuild that head, and then just swap them out instead of having a long term down time waiting on machine shops