PDA

View Full Version : Misc New CPR method

ruah_23
12-02-2005, 04:37 AM
don't know whether y'all have heard it or notice it, but the current CPR method has changed. I have read half of the new AHA guidelines and the major things that they change are:

1.Age differential. For the first time a unviersal compressin-ventilation ratio 30:2 is recommended for all single rescuers of infant,child and adult victims(excluding newborns) So there's no more 15:2(adult), 5:1(child) method anymore.

2.Difference between lay rescuers/healthcare providers.
Lay rescuers should immediately begin cycles of chest compressions and ventilations after delivering 2 rescure breathes for an unresponsive victim. They are no more taught to check for pulse or signs of circualtion.They also will not be taught to provide resuce breathing without compressions. Check the guidelines for healthcare providers.It's a lot so I can't summarize it.

3.Chest compressions.
* 1/3 -1/2 depth of the chest for infant and child. Push hard,push fast (100 compressions/min) .Allow chest recoil between compressions and minimize interruptions in compression of all victims.
*No more 1 hand compression for child. Use 2 hand as in adult.
Use 30:2 for all (infant,child,adult).

There's a summary chart on the new AHA guidelines, and I advise those of you who are involved in BLS to read it up and learn it.The guidelines can be found on the AHA website.

Gd luck!