PDA

View Full Version : hatch install

JASONBALL
12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
trying to come up with something for my cougar's hatch. I have 2 12's 2 amps, a cap and distro block. removing back seats. anyone have any idea's or pics that could help. or a shop that is compitent.

BanginJimmy
12-03-2005, 11:14 AM
need alot more info about what you are looking to do with this install. Just something to play and drive with? something show quality? competition?

JASONBALL
12-03-2005, 12:34 PM
definatley going for show quaulity. But I don't really want to completely eliminate the sounds that I have been pushing. I'm keeping my box for the twelves but plan on hiding it. with a false front so that the subs will be flush mounted kinda. I can afford the fiberglass. so it will be upholsterd. I would like to have the subs facing the front of the car.

The subs are Amercan bass clean looking front with aluminum and the basket is also very good looking. I hope this gives you enough info. plenty of space in there. The wood i assume I would use it like ply or particle board cuase it is not too heavy. I already have a false floor made.

BanginJimmy
12-03-2005, 03:18 PM
your going to want to use 3/4" MDF and it is quite heavy. if you dont want to use glass I would wall it off and port it.

JASONBALL
12-04-2005, 03:57 AM
thanks for the info any possible pics.

redgst97
12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Particle board is not typically strong enougn to house 2 12s. Ply IS, bit you get the right kind of ply, specifically, birchply. It is lighter than most, more dense (ggod), but also a LOT more expensive (bad). It is an option, but not necessarily the right one for every application. I used it for 4 sides of the box I built in my last Miata. Left, right, front, and back were all birchply. The bottom was 50/50 birch ply and fibergalss (to form to the floor of the trunk) and the top was all fiberglass, except for the the woofer mounting rings. Worked great, and I saved a "bit" of weight.

MDF is by FAR the most common thing to use. If you are taking out the rear seats, you have a lot of options...pleanty of room to work with. You could (probably) keep the back sets if you wanted to...depends on the necessary space for the woofers...

Try Traffic Jams for some install ideas. Just go by the shop.

John

JASONBALL
12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
maybe I miss interpretted soemthing. I have a 3/4 MDF box that is true L vented that will house my twelves. but my plan is to hide the box. I plan on builcing an enclosure around the box. theon portion of the box that will be visible is the front.

redgst97
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
OK got it now....use the curretn box you have, and work around it...incororate it.

Still, not problem,

There are several shops and people around here who can do it for you...
Again, I would suggest bringing hte car and equipment to a few shops to discuss the options.

John

JASONBALL
12-04-2005, 10:07 PM
what places would you suggest. I'm not from ATL area but from columbus. so i'm not sure what shops are around there. I do have a connection with a shop in augusta but that seems a little far.

BanginJimmy
12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
for a shop to do what you are looking for may be quite expensive (if I am understand it right) So I would
1. go with a trustworthy shop, dont be afraid to ask to see installs they ahve done
2. this could get pretty expensive, so if you have a hook-up it may be cheaper in the long run to drive it out to augusta.

Spyder
12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
what places would you suggest. I'm not from ATL area but from columbus. so i'm not sure what shops are around there. I do have a connection with a shop in augusta but that seems a little far.

talk to some local people and see who does what... look at their systems and find out what shops know their shit, when i was in columbus i worked at style audio... i wonder if they are still in business? anyhow there are some people here (on IA) that live in columbus B16a2 for example does and im sure he knows of a good local shop that you can use. Ask around.. im sure there is still a car audio scene there.

JASONBALL
12-06-2005, 12:44 AM
thanks guys for the advise. I was just trying to get someone away from town to do it. so nobody around here know what I have going on. cuase shit seems to end up missing around here when custom installs are done. I will look around and get a feel for some shops though thanks