PDA

View Full Version : General Chat turbo help

imprtdriver4
04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
yo what up!! soo im pretty new to turbos havent really had the time or $$ to mess with em. i know tht it needs a intercoller, downpipes and some ppl told me tht its need like pre-mods or something like that soooo what stuff needs to be done b4 i can put in my turbo?

RandomGuy
04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Might be a good idea to tell us what kind of car you have :goodjob:

But yeah, you'll need the physical turbo and plumbing related stuff, the turbo's oiling system-related stuff, fuel changes if any needed for your car = injectors? + computer/ecu tweaks to add fuel to accommodate the additional air.

kevint2
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
hello,A fuel upgrade is a must when running a turbo...Everything depends on the HP goal your looking to get..but the base parts you would want to upgrade is fuel-pump,injectors,FPR, you also want to get some kind of piggyback ECU like a Apexi SAFC to be able to tune how much fuel your putting into the engine and Wideband from AEM...If you want to go over 5-8psi of boost,you at least want to install a thicker head-gasket.As for the turbo kit,you will need the turbo,exhaust manifold,wastegate,BOV,intercooler,piping,oil feed and drain lines and you will have to tap a hole in your oil pan for the drain line..Going NA-T is not hard you just have be very careful that everything is installed right...Ebay turbo kits are a very good deal of your looking for a kit under 1k,BUT the wastegates and oil lines are crap,so if you do get a ebay kit,make sure you upgrade those 2 things..

joshk5145
04-16-2012, 07:43 PM
hello,A fuel upgrade is a must when running a turbo...Everything depends on the HP goal your looking to get..but the base parts you would want to upgrade is fuel-pump,injectors,FPR, you also want to get some kind of piggyback ECU like a Apexi SAFC to be able to tune how much fuel your putting into the engine and Wideband from AEM...If you want to go over 5-8psi of boost,you at least want to install a thicker head-gasket.As for the turbo kit,you will need the turbo,exhaust manifold,wastegate,BOV,intercooler,piping,oil feed and drain lines and you will have to tap a hole in your oil pan for the drain line..Going NA-T is not hard you just have be very careful that everything is installed right...Ebay turbo kits are a very good deal of your looking for a kit under 1k,BUT the wastegates and oil lines are crap,so if you do get a ebay kit,make sure you upgrade those 2 things..

Really, A piggy back? Depending on what car and what year most can actually be chipped and tuned Thicker headgasket for over 5-8 psi?All depends, comp works well with turbo setups to an extent So just the wastegates and oil lines are crap from the ebay kits?Lots of people have problems with the turbo seals and those stainless manifolds too

OP I'd read up a little bit more about turbo's and kits before you try to boost. Research is key to having a good reliable set-up, Buy a good quality kit and make sure your engine is good and healthy. I can post some links for a good informative read if you'd like.

kevint2
04-16-2012, 11:24 PM
You can pick apart my answer if you want BUT what im giving is sound advice..And the lots of people the have problems with Ebay kits are the people that do not know how to install them properly.I myself have installed more Ebay kits and name brand kits than you've ever seen...Knowledge is very important when picking what type of kit to buy,you cant always base your decisions on what people with no knowledge tells you is right.As for the headgasket it is hard to say if it would be needed but most people change it to lower the compression ratio and add APR head studs to be safe..PLUS Josh5145,your 95 civic had a Ebay turbo kit on it and you kept the cheap wastegate and you said on your for sale post that you never had a problem with it......Turbo set up
cast mani
no name 57 trim turbo
jdm sport intercooler
Greddy type s Bov
3" downpipe
xs power wastegate

RandomGuy
04-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Step 1: Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhlgphrBxA

Drummerboy
04-17-2012, 01:13 AM
need:

Turbo
Turbo manifold (exhaust manifold)
Intercooler
Intercooler piping
BOV (blow off valve)
WG (wastegate)
Oil feed line (from oil source to turbo)
Oil drain line (from bottom of turbo to oil pan)
Tuning software (either piggy back, chipped ECU, or stand alone)
Possibly need to upgrade your fuel system, depending on your current car/set up (injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator)

joshk5145
04-17-2012, 09:32 AM
You can pick apart my answer if you want BUT what im giving is sound advice..And the lots of people the have problems with Ebay kits are the people that do not know how to install them properly.I myself have installed more Ebay kits and name brand kits than you've ever seen...Knowledge is very important when picking what type of kit to buy,you cant always base your decisions on what people with no knowledge tells you is right.As for the headgasket it is hard to say if it would be needed but most people change it to lower the compression ratio and add APR head studs to be safe..PLUS Josh5145,your 95 civic had a Ebay turbo kit on it and you kept the cheap wastegate and you said on your for sale post that you never had a problem with it......Turbo set up
cast mani
no name 57 trim turbo
jdm sport intercooler
Greddy type s Bov
3" downpipe
xs power wastegate

HAHA nice call homie. The original set-up had a Smaller Garrett but it finally gave up and I got the cheapo for a quick fix.Plus my kit was basically given to me soooo.. Anyway I'd still recommend a quality kit for a good reliable set-up.More of a do as I say not as I do kind of thing. Not exactly picking your post apart but when you had piggy back and the part about a thicker headgasket I thought you were posting from the 90's. lol

kevint2
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Well im not big on Honda engine (im more of a 2JZ guy) but most people will not be happy with 5psi so a headgasket IS a must but you are right about getting a quality kit but not everyone has 2k+ for a high dollar kit...I mean you have to start somewhere.