PDA

View Full Version : Important things to know...

Nemesis
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
* dynojets are pretty consistant, but not if their operators are either devious or dip****s, or both.
* most cars will go 63 mph in second gear
* yttrium is a real elemant and thare's a factory in Germany mixing it into spark plug electrodes.
* All-wheel drive takes many forms and not all of them will make your car handle better.
* hydrocharging is a cool idea, but you're more likely to find a hydro charger under your hood now than you were in aprill 1999 when SCC first wrote about it.
* accelerating a pound of wheel weight is like accelrating 1.5 pounds of chassis weight. accelerating a pound of tire weight is like accelrating 2 pounds on your chassis. accelrating a pound of flywheel weight is like accelerating as much as 30 pounds on your chassis depending on what gear your in
* dont let the above convince you heavy wheels are hard to keep on the ground on bumps and keeping your tires on the ground is really important for handeling
* a momentum limit would be much cooler than a speed limit
* variable compression engines would be cool too, but they only exist in the parallel universe that houses all the hydro chargers
* anti roll barr stiffness increases with the fourth power of the bar diameter (double the diameter, and the stiffness goes up 1600%) and decreases with the square of the arm legenth (make the arm half as long and the bar will be 400% stiffer).
* power at the wheels is all that really matters. But since you'll still want to calculate crank horsepower try 17 persent power loss for a rear wheel drive car and 12% for a front drive car, assuming you use dynojet to measure wheel power all wheel drive is anyones guess . there are too many diffreant kinds of all wheel drive dynos and too many kinds of all whell drive systems to make up arbitrary numbers like i did with two wheel drive.
* the torando doesn't work. period end of discussion.
* your suspension will only work right if it doesnt bottom out in corners. dont lower i so much.
* one monkey power is eual to 0.332 HP
* you can do anything if you find the right hardware store.
* a bigger master cylinder will make your brake pedal firmer.
* a smaller piston in your caliper will do the same thing.
* if your trying to calculate the clamping force of and opposed piston brake caliper, multiply brake fluid pressure times the area of all the pistons, if your trying to do the same thing with a sliding caliper multiply fluid pressure times TWICE the the area of all the pistons . this works because the back of the cylinder slides and applies force to the break pads just like the piston does.
* bigger brakes wont necessarly make your car stop any shorter good brake balance, good tires, a good suspension, minimal camber and, of course, ABS, will.
* getting good tires is the second most effective thing you can do to improve handeling.
* learning to drive is first.
* airsprings are way to progressive.
* tuning shocks is voodoo.
* bigger isn't better
* shiny paint is for sissies
* making power at redline doesn't make your car faster, making more power at whatever rpm your at now does.
* to figure out the best shift point, just find the point where the power in one gear equals the power in the next gear. since that almost never happens, just take it to redline
* electronic throttles are a pain in the ass
* putting a heat shield on yor bumper to prevent a fire makes you a rice boy. putting a heat shield on your bumper to prevent a second fire make you a bad ass.

tony
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
accelerating a pound of wheel weight is like accelrating 1.5 pounds of chassis weight. accelerating a pound of tire weight is like accelrating 2 pounds on your chassis. accelrating a pound of flywheel weight is like accelerating as much as 30 pounds on your chassis depending on what gear your in

I argued with an S2000 owner about this till no end about the difference a lightweight flywheel makes... its a HUGE difference.

speedminded
12-01-2005, 02:47 PM
accelerating a pound of wheel weight is like accelrating 1.5 pounds of chassis weight. accelerating a pound of tire weight is like accelrating 2 pounds on your chassis. accelrating a pound of flywheel weight is like accelerating as much as 30 pounds on your chassis depending on what gear your in

I argued with an S2000 owner about this till no end about the difference a lightweight flywheel makes... its a HUGE difference.damn straight...and i got an 8.5lb Cusco one piece chromoly and would love to take off another lb or two :)

Sirius R
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
* electronic throttles are a pain in the ass

Yup.

IntegraXTR
12-01-2005, 03:38 PM
one monkey is equal to 0.332 HP, never knew that one

Crowml
12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Good stuff.
There should be something about the damn electric supercharger these asshats endlessly advertise on the classifieds end of car magazines.

*E-superchargers will truly give you the claimed additional 10hp......on your lawnmower.

AznTraitor
12-02-2005, 09:16 AM
* the torando doesn't work. period end of discussion.

that's a damn lie! I talked to my cousin, who's sister's ex boyfriend's aunt's nephew had a uncle who saw his grandpappy's son's niece who was dating a guy who watched someone dyno with it and made 10hp!