PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Engine degreaser....engine bay clean up...

quickdodgeŽ
03-31-2012, 10:06 PM
What's some good engine cleaners? I've had an oil leak for the longest and my bay is really nasty (oil everywhere). This is why I never pop my hood at meets. Well I want to clean it all up so I can see if I can find the source of the leak. And to possibly show it a little more.

Also, how best to clean the engine bay?

Thanks to all. Later, QD.

Scotsman
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
purple power , mild pressure wash , cover as much electrical as you can

AZN_Pride
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I used the Engine Degreaser Gel from Autozone and it seemed to have worked rather well. Purple power is great too.

I hope there are pics once you are are done cleaning!

dc2gs
04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I use simple green usually and sometimes purple power. (Simple green has worked better IMO) cover up your air filter, dizzy, alternator, and starter with some plastic bags. Then wet the bay with medium water pressure. Spray the degreaser or soap of your choice and cover the whole bay. Let it sit for a few minutes and then go ahead and start scrubbing both fender sides and firewall with a soft brush, you can also try brushing the motor and any other parts you want cleaned. (Just be careful not to wet anything that shouldn't get wet) you can rinse and spray more degreaser if needed to any spots you missed. finally rinse off the bay and dry as much as you can. Start up the car and let it run for a few minutes, this should help dry the motor and any electrical cables that got wet. I managed a detail/ carwash and this is the way we did it. Good luck man, hope this helps.

-EnVus-
04-01-2012, 12:23 AM
purple power , mild pressure wash , cover as much electrical as you can
x2 Its awesome now idk if the kind sold in stores is different but i had a jug from a CAT tractor repair for cleaning. It did great the first wash barely had to do any scrubbing...

Drummerboy
04-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I also use a jug. I fill a bucket with it and clean suspension parts, brackets, etc. Just let it soak, scrub a bit, rinse and you're done.

Bacon
04-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Purple Power, Spray 9, or any other industrial cleaner.

jadakid88
04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
forget all of them awesome from the dollar store does wonders

Sammich
04-03-2012, 06:42 AM
i've always used full strength purple power, rinsed off my fenders so any purple power overspray wont eat up the paint, spray the entire bay (not covering anything) with purple power, start the vehicle up and clolse the hood let teh car heat up for about 5-10 minutes and spray the fenders again while waiting to spray off any degreaser overspray, pop the hood and let the garden hose at it. only time i had a proble was when my distributor cap had a hairline crack in it and it had a skip..replaced it, car was fine. no need to cover the alternator and all that jazz

Bacon
04-03-2012, 07:21 AM
.....no need to cover the alternator and all that jazz

I was thinking the same thing as well. It gets wet normally anyways.

5spdfrk
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Typically I drive to the car wash, pop the hood and spray this all over the engine bay
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/karate_crimson/LG_FEB1.jpg
then pressure wash the bay down. Drive home and spray this on everything I want shiny
http://c3.soap.com/images/products/p/cxa/cxa-016_1z.jpg
wait 15 minutes then use a paper towel or micro fiber to soak up the excess...done!

00 blk G20t
04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I just cover the air filter so it doesn't get wet and attract dirt. I actually wash it with the motor running. have to agree the orange cleaner from the dollar store works great. I have a slight upper oil pan leak that gets my bay messed up too.

Sammich
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
i dont cover the air filter, even when i had a aftermarket intake, but yea i do rinse it off w/ the motor running...generally i do mine while i wash the car, keeps it simple, by the time you finish drying the car off a majority of the car will be dry you can take it for a spin and get the rest of the resting water off the engine

LSTurboHatch
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
i always cover the distributor or dont spray around it. but thats the only thing i every cover up. for heavy build up i always pressure wash the excess off first. then use brake parts cleaner on the block and use a scraper and brush to get off anything thats caked on. after ive done that then its just purple power and pressure wash.

jadakid88
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
what he said...spray it let it sit for like a min rinse end dirt/
forget all of them awesome from the dollar store does wonders

StarBwoy
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
what he said...spray it let it sit for like a min rinse end dirt/

true story ish works