PDA

View Full Version : Bike cuts off

Bacon
03-29-2012, 09:29 PM
My bike will cut off randomly when I am cruising and a couple of times it did it when I went from first to second. Any ideas?

josh42191
03-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Had same problem with my 03 600rr.. check out your battery and make sure every thing is connected correctly then try replacing battery if it continues. hope it works!

Bacon
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Battery is brand new. I will check the connections on it when I get home.

Patterson
03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
If nothing found check the ground on the other side of the cable. Some times they get some build up in between the connector and the engine. Also I've seen the tip over switch go bad, most riders take it apart and rtv the ball to stay in the center.

Bacon
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
My mechanic mentioned last night that it could be either a fuel pump relay or the kick stand safety switch as well.

Patterson
03-31-2012, 08:06 AM
I've seen the kick stand switch cut them off a lot too. Most of the time it's when you hit bumps or come out of a wheelie. If you find it post it up, Id like to know what was causing it.

Bacon
03-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Just got back from my mechanic and he said to definitely check the safety switch. He mentioned having a bike in the shop for a similar issue and the kick stand would move just a hair but enough to cause the bike to cut off. When I get home from my errands, I will eliminate the switch from the equation all together and run the bike through its paces to see if that was the cause.

Another thing to keep in mind with my bike is it was purposely designed the way it is for drag racing with a solid rear suspension, 10" stretch, one side of the front brakes deleted, and the kick stand was cut and rewelded.

Gsxr1000
03-31-2012, 09:59 PM
yeah look at the kick stand switch and there are two wires usually black and red. All you gotta do it cut those wires and attach it to one another. I did this to my zx6r 7 months ago and it fixed the sudden cut off issue.

Bacon
04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Well I started the bike up last night to check the kick stand switch and when I wiggled the shit out of the kick stand nothing happened. Maybe I didn't hold my left knee right but that would seem to eliminate the idea of the kick stand switch being the issue.