PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Help choosing the right coil overs.

Eman_jDm
03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
So I'm ditching the cheap coil overs and am going for full coil overs. With so many brands and choices I'm not sure exactly which ones to choose. They are for an ek civic. My price range is around $600. I want my car to be low but not slammed. I want something that rides nice and smooth. Don't need something for the track just something comfortable for my dd. Anyone who has some good coil overs like skunk2, FF, black works, ground control etc. give some input on how you like them or any recomandations :goodjob:

firby911
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Function and Form Type 1,best bang for your buck. I think there 600 on weksos but im not sure.

1civic
03-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Koni Red OR Tokico Illumina Shock - 5-way Adjustable.. GC/S2 sleeve coilover (300F/250R)!!

It's a DD, not a race car.. ;)

Eman_jDm
03-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Function and Form Type 1,best bang for your buck. I think there 600 on weksos but im not sure.

Yea that's kind of what I was leaning on and the website I plan on getting them from.

1civic
03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
those come 10k/8k... Gonna be a ruff ride in a DD, Pre-load on spring should be fixed, so perch would be the height adjustment.. Most have no clue about this but you know now!!

8k/6K would be little softer option just so you know (stock engine)...

Skunk2 Pro S (10k/8k) is my choice for a swapped DD, but each to their own!! ;)

Eman_jDm
03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
those come 10k/8k... Gonna be a ruff ride in a DD, Pre-load on spring should be fixed, so perch would be the height adjustment.. Most have no clue about this but you know now!!

8k/6K would be little softer option just so you know (stock engine)...

Skunk2 Pro S is my choice for a swapped DD, but each to their own!! ;)

Thanks for the advise. I was pretty unsure of what spring rates actually meant as far as ride. I guess I'll have to do more research. No swap now but will eventually.

1civic
03-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advise. I was pretty unsure of what spring rates actually meant as far as ride. I guess I'll have to do more research. No swap now but will eventually.

any time you see "k" aka Kilo grams you will need to convert to lbs...

10k = 559.9lbs Front
8k = 447.9lbs Rear

This is a good starting point for a swapped car, or a stiffer than stock ride.. It will have some bounce!

8k = 447.9lbs Front
6k = 335.9lbs Rear

Still an upgrade from stock, but much better for something you have to deal with in all conditions, not idel for a swapped engine combo...

None of the low-end full sleeve coil-overs have a damping adjustment so your stuck with trying to adjust the preload on the spring to keep from bottoming out the shock!!

Shocks are not my cup of tea, but I've had some nice set-ups that were well rounded... Most everyone just slaps them on and lowers them, i've been guilty of that myself... SMH!!

The info is out there if you look hard enough!!

georgieboi
03-24-2012, 09:02 AM
F&F ftw I dd my hatch on them and it rides like a dream

RBS
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Koni/GC with or without extended tophats. 450F/450R hands down TITS setup. Konis are compression adjustable vs rebound adjustable unlike most popular mainstream systems and IMO compression is a better adjustment to have if you can only have one. :2cents: