PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo issues?

Code-Aye
03-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Need some advice on why my car could be blowing oil out the exhuast.

so heres a little info, i have installed my kit on my car and it started blowing oil out of the exhaust.
my feed line is -3 with a .60 restrictor my drain size is 5/8 inside diameter (pic ) and my bung i welded on the pan is touching the top of the pan.

i have a b16a2
forged srp pistons,
eagle h-beam rods,
arp main studs/head studs,
unorthadox cam gears

custom manifold
garrett 60/63
3in exhaust open downpipe for now
presecsion 780cc
walbro 255
2 1/2 ic piping along with some 2in
my intercoller is small like 27x 5.5 x 2.25

tial wastegate,hks ssq
hondata s200

catchcan with a breather

i recently took the turbo apart to find oil coked behind the turbine shaft but not to much inside the center housing. and there wasnt very much wear on the bearing but some. and the thrust washer looked fine also. so i cleaned everything got the ringlands of the so called seals and the rings really good and test drove it and it still smoked, any suggestions?

i am not running a air filter right now while i test.

i have high oil pressure but im running a restrictor

pics
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/codyandrewlowe/IMAG0143.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/codyandrewlowe/IMAG0142.jpg

green91
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Oil drain looks great to me, id say the seals are definitely shot on the turbo.

Code-Aye
03-18-2012, 07:49 PM
up

Owned
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Could be caused by a Turbo surge problem which will blow the exhaust side seal. :thinking:

green91
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
What kind of answer are you looking for? lol. I mean theres only a few things that cause turbos to smoke.

1.. not running an oil restrictor on a turbo that needs one and shoving oil past the seals. - overhaul turbo and add oil restrictor.
2.. oil starvation and the rings wear out or the shaft gets scarred. usually has shaft play - overhaul turbo and fix oil source issue.
3.. oil doesnt drain well and backs up, blowing out the seals. - overhaul the turbo and fix the oil drain.
4.. wear and tear.. turbo develops shaft play and seals cant contain the oil any more. - overhaul turbo.

notice a trend?

Code-Aye
03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Well since i am running a restrictor my drain is huge im thinking either a. Smaller restrictor or b. Complete turbo rebuild since Just cleaning it didn't work

Captain-Obvious™
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Try that turbo your boss has laying around and see what happens.

Code-Aye
03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Try that turbo your boss has laying around and see what happens.

i would but he said if his blows oil then he wants me to buy him a rebuild kit, so i think im going to try a different restrictor and if that doesnt work im just going to buy a rebuild kit and call it a day

Captain-Obvious™
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
i would but he said if his blows oil then he wants me to buy him a rebuild kit, so i think im going to try a different restrictor and if that doesnt work im just going to buy a rebuild kit and call it a day

I guess that's all you can do.