PDA

View Full Version : Im at my wits end and need some advice

Nemesis
11-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Im currently in school , have been for 3 1/2 years. Ive been working and busting my tail ever since. Not because I have to, but because I just dont want to mooch off my parents all the time, and I have a hobby and passion for cars, and you cant do anything with that without cash. Anyways, Im a little behind because of life things that had come up. However, Im wanting to transfer to Art Institute of Atlanta and Major in Web Design and Graphic Design, which are my passions and what I want to do in the future. Ive currently been in school for an I.T Degree. If I transfer its a little too late and Id have to start in the Summer/Fall of next year. Im just really getting burned out with commutting to work, then school, and whatever, since Ive been doing that for over 3 years now. One time I even tried balancing full time 17 hours of classes with 40 hours of work one semester. Suffice it to say, THAT didnt work out well. The main thing Im thinking about are my passions right now and thats Web Design/Graphic Design/ and Digital Photography.

Now onto my job. I work at Bellsouth part time (around 26 hours a week). Its downtown and I work in the Mid-Market/ Large Business Sales Offices (not residential so dont ask for a discount). I make great money for what I do, and I mean GREAT money. However, I still do have bills, etc and a loan that I need to pay off. Im also wanting to make some serious "life" decisions in the coming years. What im thinking is, taking an entire semester off next semester and paying off the bills, having some spare time, work more, and get my transfer in line for the summer/fall.

My question to you guys is, what do you think and what would you do in my position? Feel free to ask questions, I dont mind answering most.

George

tony
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Its so hard to get back into the swing of school when you take a semester off, especially when you are making a good amount of money.

HyPer50
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
If your making "Great" money at your current job.... stick with that, and leave art as your passion/hobby.... Just cause you love doing something, doesn't mean it would neccesarily be the best career choice for you. On a side note, I'm probably not the best person to take advice from, so disregard this post.

Nemesis
11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Its so hard to get back into the swing of school when you take a semester off, especially when you are making a good amount of money.

But the thing is, im making money doing something I dont want to be stuck at doing. I do want to go back, and ive been at this job long enough to where if I get a job paying more for what I like Ill take it.

Nemesis
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
If your making "Great" money at your current job.... stick with that, and leave art as your passion/hobby.... Just cause you love doing something, doesn't mean it would neccesarily be the best career choice for you. On a side note, I'm probably not the best person to take advice from, so disregard this post.

lol My passion/hobby is cars. What I want to do for a living is Web Design/Graphic design, whether it be for Bellsouths division or Freelance.

HyPer50
11-30-2005, 07:26 PM
lol My passion/hobby is cars. What I want to do for a living is Web Design/Graphic design, whether it be for Bellsouths division or Freelance.

Ahh ok, I'm tired... probably read your entire post backwards, so like I said, just disregard my advice = P

mocha latte cupcake
11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
i would say that you should take the semster off. if i was in the position that is what i would do. you can always go back and since it something that is driving you to go back so that even though your making money you know for a fact that is it not a job you want forever, work harder than ever, pay everything off, save money for more school and go from there. if you have to work hard for your dreams then they are worth it even more, and even though it sounds like its going to be a little hard i gaurentee that you'll enjoy it so much more.

Nemesis
11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Definatly man, I just feel like Ive been stuck doing the same shit, day in and day out, with really nothing to show for it. Im not motivated to sit there all night working on a programming assignment or some shit like that, because thats not what I WANT to do. Why am I paying to learn and take classes in something Im literally never going to use. So I do want to go to a more Major focused school, and get done quick. Once I complete that and have a great job doing something hopefully I want to do, I can go back and get my MBA.

IndianStig
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
man i say take the semester off, im only in high school but thats what i would do
i would also mabe sell one of your cars, you have two, and pay off some of the loan, where do you go to school?

whats your aim?

also what job do you do?

aim me at fastboyamin, im on right now

Nemesis
11-30-2005, 07:48 PM
man i say take the semester off, im only in high school but thats what i would do
i would also mabe sell one of your cars, you have two, and pay off some of the loan, where do you go to school?

whats your aim?

also what job do you do?

aim me at fastboyamin, im on right now

Well its a personal loan I have, and theres only a couple grand on that, its not a school loan. One car is my daily driver, and the other is my First car, that ive had for a long time. Im currently going to Clayton State University which is a 4 year school and one of the top I.T schools in Georgia.

My aim is Nemesis950psi. :)

MegatronRS
03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I go to the Art Institute of Atlanta, for graphic design......I guess its not a bad school....i been there for 7 quarters so far...by the way, nemesis, do you live in or hang out in conyers? Ive seen your cougar at quick trip on 138.

Nemesis
03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I go to the Art Institute of Atlanta, for graphic design......I guess its not a bad school....i been there for 7 quarters so far...by the way, nemesis, do you live in or hang out in conyers? Ive seen your cougar at quick trip on 138.

holy old thread :lmao:

Yeah Im located in Conyers man. When did ya see me?

Tiff-O-Bitties
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Don't take off.. That was my original goal and once I started making money, I didn't want to cut back on my other "priorities.." Now, I have to work, before, I didn't need to, but I wanted to so I could have cash... I really suggest finishing school.

But, since this thread is so old, nevermind, lol:eye:

Brady
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
JUUUUUMP! hahaha. just kidding...

civic95
03-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Well I took a semester off myself one time. Then I was laid off, and got a new job even further from school. 5 yrs later have yet to go back.

You said you make "Great" money. Its hard to make "Great" money in web design, or graphic arts IMO. Great means different things to different people though. There is an over abundance of web designers/graphic artists. There are a few lucky ones that make a ton of money, but a big percentage end up going from job to job (atleast the ones I've known). The Art Institute is an expensive school, and credits earned there do not transfer to most schools. I had a gf that went there and $12k dollars, and 2 yrs were wasted when she changed her mind on what career she wanted.
just some things to think about.

The Golden Child
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
my god a thread lives .. ahahahahaha ..
is your mom korean or your dad nemesis ??
has nothing to do with your situation, i was just curious ..
but anyway is your life more important or you car ??
then from there i can start some whoring ..

but below is what i do ..

im a rep for VOIP ..
full time cell phone manager ..
part time stripper ..
part time hustler ..
full time on IA ..

Brady
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
his mom is 100% KO-RIAN!

ahmonrah
03-17-2006, 02:17 PM
here's what i suggest. ther'es nothing worse than burning the fuck out, (i know, cause when that happens you will do NOTHING!) concentrate on your job. till semester comes up. that way you can take a break, make your money and return to schol with a refreshed mind. and willingness to go on. oh, also hook me up at your job so i can tell you this in person. as co-workers. yeah that's about right!! lol. i miss working for bellsouth. (damn tech support layoffs.)

Ran
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
his mom is 100% KO-RIAN!So is mine. Poor b@stard's got it rough, lemme tell ya.

Brady
03-17-2006, 02:19 PM
So is mine. Poor b@stard's got it rough, lemme tell ya.
haha nice avatar punk ass.

The Golden Child
03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
his mom is 100% KO-RIAN!

corea !!!

Bishop
03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Im currently in school , have been for 3 1/2 years. Ive been working and busting my tail ever since. Not because I have to, but because I just dont want to mooch off my parents all the time, and I have a hobby and passion for cars, and you cant do anything with that without cash. Anyways, Im a little behind because of life things that had come up. However, Im wanting to transfer to Art Institute of Atlanta and Major in Web Design and Graphic Design, which are my passions and what I want to do in the future. Ive currently been in school for an I.T Degree. If I transfer its a little too late and Id have to start in the Summer/Fall of next year. Im just really getting burned out with commutting to work, then school, and whatever, since Ive been doing that for over 3 years now. One time I even tried balancing full time 17 hours of classes with 40 hours of work one semester. Suffice it to say, THAT didnt work out well. The main thing Im thinking about are my passions right now and thats Web Design/Graphic Design/ and Digital Photography.

Now onto my job. I work at Bellsouth part time (around 26 hours a week). Its downtown and I work in the Mid-Market/ Large Business Sales Offices (not residential so dont ask for a discount). I make great money for what I do, and I mean GREAT money. However, I still do have bills, etc and a loan that I need to pay off. Im also wanting to make some serious "life" decisions in the coming years. What im thinking is, taking an entire semester off next semester and paying off the bills, having some spare time, work more, and get my transfer in line for the summer/fall.

My question to you guys is, what do you think and what would you do in my position? Feel free to ask questions, I dont mind answering most.

George
Ask my brother (Hulud). He took a semester off of school and worked full time. Needless to say he was very excited about going back to school

ORGANIZATIONXIII
03-17-2006, 05:30 PM
as with all asian parents...

you go to college you get good job

MegatronRS
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
holy old thread :lmao:

Yeah Im located in Conyers man. When did ya see me?

I saw you a couple weeks ago, you probably know a friend of mine, Mousa, he used to drive a cougar with tons of cf, now he has a 350z, but yeah, i live in covington, but im in conyers all the time.

Sibious
03-17-2006, 10:31 PM
he man u know whats best take that sem of ftkae care of things and transfer. do what u feel and what ur passion for. plus u can never go wrong with teh web